The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 5 speed - Sick of 9's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This build is awesome! The front cross member you did is sick. I was toying with the idea of doing something like that on my 3000gt a while ago, but I'd get constant shit from my mom and girlfriend if I took out the factory crash bar :rolleyes:
I love custom stuff, even simple stuff like the gauge cluster and whatnot. And props for self tuning! Coolest DSM I've seen in a while :thumb:

Just read through the post, excellent work my friend! Glad to see people are still building DSMs!

Sorry at this point I don't offer any services to anyone. Call MAP for any fabrication services, the work they are doing is awesome these days!:thumb:

Yeah it’s been a little while since my last update. The car's ignition would breakup at 4K RPM and 6K RPM super bad. I couldn’t even get a full pull in at the lowest boost level. The culprit was that I converted to that Kiggley 12 tooth crank trigger wheel and the cam sensor was not adjusted correctly. The signals were overlapping and the cam signal was very very close to a crank signal event. At 4K and 6K the signal would overlap causing ignition errors. I think it was due timing belt strech/harmonics??

I also put back in my wideband in the down pipe, since I don’t fully trust the readings of the individual widebands yet. They are all off from one another by almost a full point of AFR! Also they seem to be a little nonlinear at idle. So to gain confidence in their readings I need to play around by swapping injectors around and seeing if AFR’s track to the change or remain the same and then do the same with the widebands themselves. Lots of BS to prove it out.

I also just added a 2G VSS sending unit, so I can control my 2-step on launch vs. gear to gear shifting. I have seen lazy recovery times when the 2step kicked in between shifts at the track.

And to wrap it up I’m planning on bringing the car to BIR this weekend for its maiden voyage down the track! I'm going to be forced to enter it in King Street due to it being too light for Unlimited Street. Lots of changes this year, I'm crossing my fingers that don't have any major bugs to work out. I just want a good clean pass deep in the 9's or maybe even 8's who knows!

Yeah I thought my car was cool until I saw this... You sir are an inspiration to the community. Great car/build. Is this the factory electric blue color?
Btw I did the same front bumper mod to my 2nd gen camaro when I took the bumper off and had a big gap.

Last edited:
Looking good man! Really hoping to see this thing tear it up at Proving Grounds this year!

Well proving grounds didn't work out so well for me, I had an accident on my pit bike the first night and long story short I cut the end of my ring finger off...Spent a night in the Hospital, had surgery and didn't get a run in. MAP is a great sponsor, to the point that I borrowed Dan Carey's wife's car to get to the ER, and kept it for a day! Thanks again for helping me out MAP!

I'm back at BIR today and the car just went 9.1 off of the trailer!! Getting close to my goal!

20130705_135636.jpg

I just need to get a little more aggressive off of the line, in May I cut a high 1.3 60 foot and broke the rear in second. Getting much closer.

Little update: I broke a transfer case in the elimination round after my 9.1 pass, more than likely driver error. I didn't get a chance to improve my time.

Also, I sold my trailer, it was a hydraulic tilt back open style. I'm going to pick up an all aluminum enclosed 24' next weekend. I have the car all tuned up and ready for the MAP proving grounds weekend coming up in September. I would have loved to have make it out to the 21st shootout for my first time but I'm out town for work that weekend.

Here is a download of the EMS data log on my tuning session. The log starts at 30mph. I lost a little traction in second too. I had interior in it, and full exhaust for a street class that I was racing in during the 4th of July. I also had a 200+ pound passenger too!

tuningpull7-13-13.png

Nice to see its getting faster! Makes all the hard work worth it. Look forward to seeing you back it. Makes me even more eager to get my done and back to the track.

Wow Mark! A lot going on here with the car (and you). The pitbike accident sounded bad, but I'm glad to hear you're okay. The car is looking great and seems to be coming around for you. 161mph is really moving!! Nice work and good luck! :thumb: Just sorry to hear you won't be making it out to the Shootout. :toobad:

Now that the season has been over for a while I’m looking at what I can improve over the winter. I’m going to focus on more weight reduction and driver assistance modifications.

I’m sticking with the dog box, my only real issue at this point is to get the car off of the line consistently. I need to be able to focus on the tree instead of a million things in the car. So I’m going to give a shot at a launch control solenoid on the clutch. I built one and have it installed now, I’m trying to figure out a way to have it fully automated/controlled by the EMS series 2. I’m also going to add a hydraulic e-brake for staging, circuited in just like the CNC ONE, so left front / right rear or something like that.

20131119_194544.jpg

I purchased a rear brake kit, TCE’s drag rear kit and I added brakeman revolution light weight rotors. Thanks again Drew at MAP for hooking me up on the rotors!

I’m going to down size to 15” rims with wider and stickier MT slicks they are from Vassil’s setup. I plan on keeping the QTP's for my EVO.
I’m looking at acquiring or fabricating a Tubular K-member too.

I'll update this thread as I go.

The wiring looks a lot worse than what it actually took to get it completed. It made up a good chunk of weight savings too. The factory harness was a pig.

I have my rear brakes installed and MT's on 15"'s, it looks mean on the car. I hope this will help my 60' and traction through second gear.

20131124_180739.jpg

20131203_072844.jpg

Staging Ebrake looks good! Any reasoning why you think its better then just the regular Ebrake? Kinda been looking to do the staging brake as well just not sure why its so much better.

Looks great! :thumb: I love the way the 15" wheels/tires look. :hellyeah: I think they work the best too with all that sidewall. :sneaky: That's some meat...

This is the starting weight before the weight reduction projects this winter. It was the scale at BIR international. This is without me in the car. I believe I had carpet and door panels installed too:

20130906_165622.jpg

I got out to the garage a little this last weekend. I Installed the hydraulic e brake.
It works great, super cheap on ebay, like 45 bucks. The only downfall is that I needed to make one of the tube nut fittings that interfaces the hydraulic cylinder. The thread count was non standard 7/16-20, for brake applications. luckily I have a lathe! The handle sits where the factory one was. It also shaved off a couple of pounds from the factory handle and cables.

20131222_174831.jpg

I picked up a half radiator on ebay as well. I needed to modify the inlet and outlets to make them bigger, and remove the filler cap. This will end up being a healthy weight savings. Not just the radiator filled weight, but I will be removing one of my radiator fans as well.

20131223_140535.jpg

20131223_152503.jpg

Lookin good!! I just ordered a half rad also from stm. Can i see the routing of the intake pipe? I'd love to do that with the 3794

Also why do you habe a fan on the other side in the rad core? To pull air through fmic?

Also what sort of rpm are you seeing full boost with the turbo? Is it a 6766?

The turbo is a Precision modified Garret GT4276R turbo with a 1.15 a/r exhaust housing. It has their billet 76mm compressor wheel. Full boost on a third gear roll on pull is around 6200rpm. I think the exducer is 106mm. As for the routing, it goes in the fender with a 14" filter. I'll snap a shot later. Go forward facing if you have not set it up already!

The radatior fan is a pusher. I had 2 of them on the old radiator. I'm removing one on the new setup.

Lookin good!! I just ordered a half rad also from stm. Can i see the routing of the intake pipe? I'd love to do that with the 3794

Also why do you habe a fan on the other side in the rad core? To pull air through fmic?

Also what sort of rpm are you seeing full boost with the turbo? Is it a 6766?

Ahhh nice yeah I'd love to see a picture of the intake, sadly i won't be using a forward facing setup, i have an stm 2g t3 that I'll br using, maybe I'll try making a ff one day.

Thats pretty good spool for a 42R turbine, gives me hope for the 37r

Your build is lookin good. Your sick of 9s and i can't wait to bathe in them.

Ahhh nice yeah I'd love to see a picture of the intake, sadly i won't be using a forward facing setup, i have an stm 2g t3 that I'll br using, maybe I'll try making a ff one day.

Thats pretty good spool for a 42R turbine, gives me hope for the 37r

Your build is lookin good. Your sick of 9s and i can't wait to bathe in them.
My motor is a 2.3l, helps explain the spool.
Good luck on the 9's, the 37 is a good turbo to get you there.

Even though 30r's have been in the 9s I'm hoping to do it with colder air. Are you gonna be ready for the track soon as season starts?

Do you rev out 6200-10k? I always thought you couldnt run a stroker that high. But I'm probably wrong. I normally hear about an 8500 maxxxx for 2.3's so I'm not sure how fun 6200-8500 would be

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back