1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G 5 speed - Sick of 9's...

Posted by Mark L, Nov 20, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Mark L

Mark L Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Eagan, Minnesota
    It was so long ago I don't recall the original details. What I do know is the master cylinder has a smaller diameter than the original, to help brake response & pedal pressure. I recall there was a thread on this form that detailed out the part number and what variant car it came off of.

For the rod, I purchased a long bolt off of Fastenal with the same thread that interfaces the clevis for the pedal. Then I cut the head off to the correct length, and balled the one end that interfaced the master cylinder.

iugrad92turbo likes this.
  2. Mark L

Mark L Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Christmas came early. This should help me alot next season! Magnus gears and front billet section, and Boostin's billet mid section!

20181120_085802.jpg

3. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Do you have one of billet sonnax yokes that Tim z had made?

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  4. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Supporting VIP

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    :applause:OMG:thumb:

5. Mark L

Mark L Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Yes I bought a backup from Tim, and have been running one for many years since they use to be standard production back in the day.

jersygsx and iugrad92turbo like this.
  6. Mark L

Mark L Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Eagan, Minnesota
    It's been awhile since the last update. I purchased a different house earlier this year and had the opportunity to finish the garage how I wanted it, kind of a once in a life time opportunity. I only got out to the track 2 times this year, the new year will be much better.

The finished garage has full hvac, running water, all spray foam insulation, lots & lots of electrical (14 circuits, 5 220v outlets, and a 50a outside outlet for my motorhome) led lighting, in celing speakers, finished floor, and best of all a lift!
    Before:
    20190321_085644.jpg
    After:
    20190729_193217.jpg
    20190504_101635.jpg

On to the car update:

I installed a set of fty's billet lift off door hinges, makes working on the car way easier now. They are a great design, super easy to install and the doors lift off easy with good clearance to avoid damaging the door edge to fender. They have a locking feature so when the door is shut it prevents them from lifting off. Highly recommended!
    20190825_080655.jpg

I'm in the process of converting the car a DBW throttle body. There are some posts on here describing the benefits, but the summary is better driveability, starting/idle, and enables torque control features if you have a supporting ecu. I chose to use the evo 10 pedal, and a bosch 82mm throttle body. I purchased a Magnus manifold to tb adaptor. We just finished up making some Vanjen clamps to Bosch 74 & 82mm DBW throttlebodies. The 74 is for my Evo IX, and the 82 on my DSM. My father in-law made these up for me, he has a cnc in his garage. They turned out really nice.
    123_19.jpg
    123_112.jpg
    123_1.jpg

123_111.jpg

I went from the fastest local 4g63 (for about a decade), to the third fastest in one event at Maperformance`s prooving grounds this September. Wow, Im feeling motivated now! I need to step up my game, so I'll share more as I go. I have some good projects over the winter. I would love to get into the 7s in 2020!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Hey Mark, I was trying to look at your old pictures, but when you had an 8.50 cage did you need rocker bars? How about the d bars? Did you need a rear floor bar to mount them to like your 25.5 cage?

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  8. Mark L

Mark L Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Eagan, Minnesota
    To my knowledge the D bars are require for an 8.5 cage, and are really meant for unibody cars. Also, rocker bars are not required for an 8.5. The 25.5 doesn't need the D bars. The north/south inner floor bars that are called "inner frame rails" that intersect the rear cross member, then to a bar called the vertical cage support. This system of 3 bars replace the D bar function in an 8.50 cage. The SFI 25.5 spec book lays it all out.

9. turbotalon1g

turbotalon1g Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2005
    Blaine, Minnesota
    I need to see this garage mahal this winter!

Drag Race Build 1K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.333 @ 119.94 · 1G DSM
  10. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Thanks. I'm debating on making a move to the 8.50 cage now, and reading through the rulebook it's fairly clear, but then I hear horror stories of inspectors not approving things. Been a challenge to figure out if we really need the rear cross member to connect to d bars to like the FWD cars do.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  11. b00stedtalon2

b00stedtalon2 Proven Member

Joined Dec 19, 2005
    Detroit, Michigan
    The garage looks amazing! Nice work!

1K  1

1994 Mitsubishi Evo
    automatic · Lancer Evolution

Street Build 3K  1