The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 5 speed - Sick of 9's...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the feedback on the pump, I took JohnTSI's recommendation for using this pump. It is the largest EFI electric fuel pump that I know of.

A little update: Since everything is out of the engine bay I decided to have it painted to clean it up. My painter asked if I had any other parts that I desired to be painted. I had plans on building these, it was low on my priority list, however the priority has now increased due to wanting them painted. They are not prepaired for paint yet, but getting there. They are made using a fiberglass process that I used to make custom car stereo enclosures back in the late 90’s. The parts contour to the bumper with a good degree of precision.

IMG_20130108_200025.jpg

IMG_20130108_200036.jpg

In process:

IMG_20130106_102511.jpg

Jebus that things the size of the sump pump in my well LOL. I dont think anyone has asked, but is that car an oem color? It looks brighter then the oem blue for some reason.

The fiberglass is just a sheath there, and you're going to contour sand the edge in prior to paint, right? I was considering doing something similar on mine, but I think it might violate DOT rules for side markers on my car. Still, that is going to reduce a little drag and the flow should be more laminar around the side of the bumper... No pockets to cause any interference eddies the air has to fight through. :thumb:

BTW, I love that intake pipe feeding the snail! It looks like you took it off a Peterbuilt. :D

The fiberglass is just a sheath there, and you're going to contour sand the edge in prior to paint, right? I was considering doing something similar on mine, but I think it might violate DOT rules for side markers on my car. Still, that is going to reduce a little drag and the flow should be more laminar around the side of the bumper... No pockets to cause any interference eddies the air has to fight through. :thumb:

BTW, I love that intake pipe feeding the snail! It looks like you took it off a Peterbuilt. :D

The fiberglass is a separate piece and not a part of the bumper cover. It will be attached to the bumper cover with trim tape or mechanically attached from the back.

I think I've seen this car somewhere before. ;)

Kidding. You may or may not remember but, I was the kid at Proving Grounds the last two years in the red '99 GS-T that camped not too far from you. I believe I gave you the thumbs up or said "Love the car!" once or twice.

I love the build but tend to watch it more on 'Style. I just figured I'd drop by here and say I subscribed! Keep up the awesome work too! :thumb:

Since I’m painting the engine bay and my aero stuff I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t F it up by starting anything new after the fact. So the last weight savings mod I’m going to make this winter is to chop off the very front end of the car to clean things up and to my surprise lose a substantial amount of weight. The following stuff in the pic weighed 62.5 pounds!!!

IMG_20130119_130512.jpg

I still left the top part to mount and locate the radiator/fans and head lights. The material thickness of the top is very thin and barely weighs anything, but my thought that if I kept it in palace it would make my job much easier. Not much to figure out on this one, I hope!

Before:

IMG_20130119_092240.jpg

After:

IMG_20130119_125150.jpg

I purchased a Woodward tube bender and I’m excited to try it out on this project. I’m guessing I’ll add about 10-12 pounds back in 4130 tubing.

Lots of work to go to have it ready in May!

If I had to do it again I would have left that top piece as well as it would have eliminated a lot of time relining stuff up.

If I had to do it again I would have left that top piece as well as it would have eliminated a lot of time relining stuff up.

I made the same mistake on my Mirage. Now I'm having to fix all that!
On the same token, experience is the best teacher.

Just got the front end all wrapped up. Now I just need to tear it all down, finish weld everything, and send it off to get the bumper and engine bay painted.

IMG_20130131_205912.jpg

IMG_20130131_172141.jpg

Thanks for the all the feedback. New update, stuff is painted. I'm excited to start assembling!

20130210_122146.jpg

20130213_190226.jpg

20130209_101149.jpg

My areo parts turned out awesome too!

20130209_101156.jpg

I had a good weekend, I got a couple of chances to sneak out to the garage. The brakes are all done, fluid filled ready to go. Fenders/bumper and aero parts are installed. It’s looking like a new car! I going to ditch my quartermaster for a tilton carbon/carbon that I found new, never installed.

2013-02-16001431-1.jpg

20130217_114928.jpg

Wow! I wasn't really sure where you were going with that bumper but that came out fantastic! Major props to you. I think my head would explode if I tried to take on anything like this!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back