The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which valve springs to use with fp3x

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GILZTSIAWD

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
petal, Mississippi
So I went ahead and jumped off and ordered the fp3x cams to give them a try since I was in need of a set of cams. Now the next purchase is a set of valve springs/retainers. I was wondering what valve springs you all would recommend. Right now I am looking at getting the SI dual valve springs from Slowboy Racing. I looked at the JAM springs, but they are twice as much as the SI setup. I also looked at getting the springs that Forced Performance sells for these cams. Which would you all recommend? Anyone have any experience with these cams and any valve spring setups? Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with anything but the springs FP sells for those cams. They are a good bit more aggressive than the fp3 and 4s. Is the samll amount of money that might be saved with a different choice worth the possible engine damage? Even my time to pull the head and get the springs/retainers changed out is worth more.

Good points, and they just now replied back to my email with the actual specs on their springs. They have almost 100lbs more open pressure than the SI springs and 20 more seat pressure. I am definitely going with them. $60 more :)

90turbotsi said:
Also consider the ferrea dual valve spring, ive been trying to get a set of them for my car

Do you have the specs on them? Thanks

I went with a set of FP springs and retainers for my FP3X cams.

Did you guys install the springs and all with the head on the car? Also, did you do the break in where it says to not install the inner spring and run it for 30 minutes and then take it back apart and install the inner spring? THANKS!

No I dont actually have the specs on the Ferrea duals but I know they were on a shop (that I worked at) race cars 2.4 motor and did well. I will see if I can locate some more info on them but am having trouble even finding many vendors who carry them/stock them.
I guess what I like best is they are a big name brand and ive had great success with their valves. Just a bit more reassurance with such a crucial part of the motor I guess.
If anyone has had success with them or has the specs post them up, otherwise I will keep searching for the info and the price (since im sure that would be a determining factor as well)

That's cool. I just thought maybe you had the specs already from a purchase you had made. Thanks again for the advice. I will look later today and see if I can find the info on them or email a vendor to get it.

I have been using Manley springs and stock retainer with my FP2Xs for thousands of miles now; with not an inkling of valve float. Revs very smoothly to 8500 rpms every time. I talked to SBR and they said their Manley springs can handle the 2X lobe design to 8500 rpms "all day long", as they put it. They are substancially cheaper than the FP dual springs. . . .But, the 3X cams are more aggressive yet. I'd talk to Slowboy over the phone or something to find out if the Manley springs can deliver what you want. How high you want to rev will surely be a deciding factor here.

People so soon forget that the stock spring did well to 9000rpm way befor aftermarket selections came alone.

Its all about the reatiner (weight).

I've got the SI springs and retainers in my car. The guys at FP said they would work great with the FP3x's. I think its about $300 for the springs and retainers from SI.

J.P.

talontsiturbo20 said:
I've got the SI springs and retainers in my car. The guys at FP said they would work great with the FP3x's. I think its about $300 for the springs and retainers from SI.
J.P.

Thats great to know. :thumb:

I've always been worried in the back of my mind about using the SI's with my FP2x's, but if FP says there good enough for 3x's, thats good enough for me :rocks:

coltboostin said:
People so soon forget that the stock spring did well to 9000rpm way before aftermarket selections came alone.

Its all about the reatiner (weight).

Yea. didn't Shep have stock shimmed springs for the longest time??? I think i could have gotten away with shimmed stockers. Hell they had only 25,000 miles on them with stock cams. But, i didn't want to hunt around for the shims/machinest that would make it happen.

talontsiturbo20 said:

J.P.

Thats awesome. So do you have the setup in your car already or still waiting to be installed? How do you like the cam/spring setup? Did you do the 30 minutes break-in it shows in the instructions? Thanks!

dsm-onster said:
Yea. didn't Shep have stock shimmed springs for the longest time??? I think i could have gotten away with shimmed stockers. Hell they had only 25,000 miles on them with stock cams. But, i didn't want to hunt around for the shims/machinest that would make it happen.

Yesir.

My extreme budjet forces me to save money where I can.

This is one spot. :)

If Im lucky, I will have the cheapest pile to see 150 traps in a long time.
And its still my DD (in the summer)

Keep it for the street.

are you guys just upgrading the springs and retainers?

coltboostin said:
Yesir.

My extreme budjet forces me to save money where I can.

This is one spot. :)

If Im lucky, I will have the cheapest pile to see 150 traps in a long time.
And its still my DD (in the summer)

You go! do it. I bet you'll be fine. So you'r erunning shims? What are your're shim heights?

Streetable and affordable are synonymous to me. That's about the limit:D . spool is a downshift away. B!tching about high duration cams is like b!tching about boobs that are too big!!!!

dsm-onster said:
You go! do it. I bet you'll be fine. So you'r erunning shims? What are your're shim heights?

Streetable and affordable are synonymous to me. That's about the limit:D . spool is a downshift away. B!tching about high duration cams is like b!tching about boobs that are too big!!!!

Secrets I tell you!

Yeah, full boost @6300ish will be streetable. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back