The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Which head to use

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOSLO2PT0

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2002
Joliet, Illinois
I'm putting together a simple car for a nice daily driver. 94 Talon, AWD, Auto. Block is going to be a simple 7bolt 2.0L with EVO9 rods/pistons. I wanna be able to get this car up on the converter as quick as possible, using a Holset HY35 turbo (same turbo as an HX35, but smaller turbine wheel/housing). Got a 4k stall converter as well. Plan is to run E85 as well.

My question is which head/intake will deliver the best results in terms of spool and overall power? Here are my options that I'm thinking.

1. 2G head/EVO3 intake manifold. Proven combo. Pretty much bolt on and go.
2. 4G67 1.8L head + 1G intake manifold. 43cc combustion chamber head increases compression up to 9.3:1 with the EVO9 pistons. However, this head has the 1G "big" ports and will require the use of a 1G intake manifold. Will the big ports and 1G intake negate the higher compression/quicker spool that the smaller combustion chamber offers?
3. 4G61 head from the 1.6L crowd (Summit, Colt, etc). They have slightly smaller ports than the 2g head (but seems like some simple port matching would suffice), have the smaller 43cc combustion chamber, and I can use the EVO3 intake with it. However, there isn't much info on 4g61t.org when it comes to swapping their 1.6L heads onto a 2.0L motor. Usually it's the other way around. Our head on their block.

I'm not trying to re-invent anything here. Just trying to make the most out of what's available OEM on a budget. I'd like some more input from you guys.

Stick with the 2g head and the Evo3 IM. The RVR intake manifold is the same thing just smaller on the TB side. You will need to port it out to 60mm to match the E3 specs and to use a 1g TB. You'll also need to bore out the head stud holes to 12mm over the stock 11mm holes.

Stick with the 2g head and the Evo3 IM. The RVR intake manifold is the same thing just smaller on the TB side. You will need to port it out to 60mm to match the E3 specs and to use a 1g TB. You'll also need to bore out the head stud holes to 12mm over the stock 11mm holes.

Umm......can you elaborate as to WHY I should use the 2G head/EVO3 intake combo? I've already got the 2g head/intake and am aware of what's required to install them. I merely want some opinions/data as to which combo might work the best.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back