1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G What else should I replace while replacing the oil pan?

Posted by PlumOne, Mar 9, 2020

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. PlumOne

PlumOne Probationary Member

Joined Apr 17, 2017
    Brighton, Colorado
    I’ve decided to keep my car instead of selling it. I’m stubborn and not giving up. Anyways, I still have a oil leak after drilling and tapping my return line to my oil pan so I’m ordering a whole new pan and oil return line from STM. I noticed my oil filter housing is leaking as well so I’m ordering a new one with a gasket.
    My list so far
    Oil pan
    Oil return line
    Return line gasket and bolts
    STM stainless steel oil pan bolts
    OEM six bolt oil filter housing
    Oil filter housing gasket
    4 oil squirters
    Is there anything else I should be replacing while I have the oil pan off? Suspension/steering wise I still need coil overs, axles, wheel bearings. Rotors, brakes, tie rods/ends, ball joints, control arms are new.

747  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    I think the only other thing left to replace while you're still in there is the small gasket between the oil pickup and the oil pump. It will be accessible with the pan off. Also give the oil pickup (strainer) a closer look and if it's damaged or too clogged, try to fix it. Wouldn't hurt. And lastly since the pan will be off, check if your flywheel inspection cover is there. On AWD cars it looks like a triangular plate, on FWD cars I believe it's a bit rounder.

Street Build 3K  12

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    Why would you replace the oil squirters? Just in case, if you want to replace the whole oil squirters, you will need 4 jets, 4 check valves and 8 washers.
    And as for the oil filter housing, from where is it leaking? If the oil filter housing itself is not damaged physically, you may not need a new housing. Just a new gasket and a proper installation would possibly stop the leak. Before ordering the parts, you should make it clear where the oil come from, so you may be able to save your money.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    IF you take the oil squirters out, as @DSMPT said, you will need at the minimum of 8 aluminum crush washers to reinstall and if you have them out, make sure they are not clogged. Blow thru the end with your mouth and make sure they flow, if not, I can tell you how I clean the gunk out of them. Really no need to remove them tho unless you just want to check them and clean them.

Street Build 4K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM

695  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 967  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  13  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    DSMPT likes this.
  5. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Definitely replace the oil, since you're doing all that other work already.
    :f-u:

Street Build 433  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Our oil pans are not designed to be used with gaskets. Quality sealant and well-prepped surfaces is what the doctor ordered.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.