The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dented oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkers

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2010
Brewster, New_York
Hey guys, I'm sorry I start so many threads, I just have a lot of problems with my new DSM :-\

There's a dent on my oil pan, a little smaller than fist sized or so (I only saw it once on a lift, and can't get it on my ramps as it's too low) and it's RIGHT on the bleeder screw. Like, the bleeder screw is in the center of the dent, and if I remember correctly the dent is about a half inch deep. My mechanic says the screw might not come out, and if it does, it might not go back in. Has anyone had this problem before? If it won't come out/go back in what could I do? This is basically my first car, so I don't know if it's possible to replace the oil pan. What should I do here?

ya but dont you think that he should have another spare oil pan. Lets say he takes it out and it doesnt go back in and he doesnt have another dd or car than hes screwed so id get another oil pan just in case

wouldnt hurt to have a spare oil pan. if your screw comes and and goes back in, you should be good. if you are able to adjust your ride height up some, i'd suggest doing so. you really don't wanna hit a speed bump or something and hit your oil pan where the pick up is.

You have to take a few parts out of the way. Go get the service manual. You're gonna need it especially if you're not mechanically inclined.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I did meant the drain plug. I just figured since it was a screw, it was called a bleeder screw. I'm new to cars :-\ How hard would it be to replace the entire oil pan?

its just maybe a dozen bolts that bolts the oil pan onto the bottom of the block, shouldnt be hard to replace it if nothing blocking it, but first i would try to see if u can take off the drain screw and put it back in, try using taflon tape if its leaks and only if its still a tight fit.

Good old 1/4in beed of black RTV. around the oil pan work great!!!:thumb: its so ez.. :D you will be surprised

Im curious, why does everyone like using rtv on the oil pan so much?? They made a gasket that fits on the oil pan which isnt that expensive, its not even much more than a tube of rtv so cant use the fact that its more affordable, and the gasket will seal just as well as rtv unless you have a messed up oil pan, missing bolts or stripped bolt threads.
IMO i would just do things right and use a $10 gasket.

Do the new pan before you have any other problems, how did it get dented in the first place?

I'm not entirely sure. It's a fairly new car (As in it recently came into my possession, not that it was made recently) so either I or the previous owner backed it into something, or possibly the mechanic did it, because I had a different mechanic remove the engine multiple times, and I had been under the car and never noticed it. This current mechanic likes to put the car on the lift sloppily and then tells me I need to learn to take care of my car when he bends the side skirts. That's somewhat unrelated, more of a rant. I plan on raising the suspension once I get the proper tools to prevent any further damage. Thankfully it's adjustable, so all I need is a pair of jack stands.

If that was too long to read, the mechanic either dented it, or someone backed into something

not hard at all to replace an oil pan. i always use RTV on my oil pan anytime i have to remove it.

Im curious, why does everyone like using rtv on the oil pan so much?? They made a gasket that fits on the oil pan which isnt that expensive, its not even much more than a tube of rtv so cant use the fact that its more affordable, and the gasket will seal just as well as rtv unless you have a messed up oil pan, missing bolts or stripped bolt threads.
IMO i would just do things right and use a $10 gasket.

Because they do not come with gaskets from the factory. And gaskets tend to have more issues with leaking than rtv.

Usually when you go to the parts store and order a gasket it will be a cork(paper) or a fel pro(rubber) gasket. Idk about you but if mitsubishi used rtv from the factory why change it and buy a gasket.Plus its cheaper than buying a gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back