The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Weapons owners Check-in [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would go to your local range.

I know at mine they let you rent guns to shoot. I would rent a couple and get a feel for what you like. Shoot a 9mm,.40,.45 and see what fits you best, then make a purchase.

I personally would never buy a Ruger or a Berretta, but that's just my personal taste and experience with them.

Just thought I would chime in. I don't have a huge knowledge of guns but a decent amount. The only advice I can give is that I probably wouldn't suggest a 45 caliber gun for someone that has never fired a gun before. I would suggest a 22 caliber. It is smaller obviously, doesn't have too much of a kick, ammunition is inexpensive. It's the gun I started off with when I was a kid. I think it is the perfect choice for someone starting off. And there are some good ones out there for around $200-250. But you have to get what you want to get, so if the 45 cal suites you then the one you picked looks pretty good.

L2RTSiAWD said:
I would go to your local range.
Best suggestion possible.

I did alot of research on the net, and had fired .22, .38, .40, .45, .270, 9mm, etc, etc througout my life, so for me the deciding factors were ease of use for my wife and value for the price.

I ended up buying an SW9VE (Sigma series w/ tactical rail) because the wife felt comfortable holding it whereas the Glock 22 and Sig .40 were too bulky, and the fact that for 319, it came with 2 10rd magazines and 2 16rd magazines.

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll definetly have to go down to a local range and try a few out. I did not know they rented guns out, that is good to know. One question tho, why the dislike for the ruger. I couldn't find anything bad about it so I'm interested in hearing any bad opinions if you got them.

I also thought a 45 would be too big, and your probably right. I guess I'll find out when I go to a range. Anybody have a model they particularly like?

All the Rugers my buddies bought or had felt cheaply made and jammed up like no other.

I'm partial to springfield armory and H&K(which I own a .40 fullsize).

I have poured thousands of rounds through my S&W 5906. The only jams ever experienced were bad reloads (my own). Very dependable, durable weapon.

I own several caliber rifles (very big- like .50 cal big @ 24$ a round) and up to a DE 50 handgun.

I would not suggest Baretta or Rugers as well. Baretta's are OK, but unless kept spotless... they are junk because they jam bad. Same for the Rugers.

I highly suggest a smaller caliber HG for your first one. Test fire several. Look around and ask people (like your doing now).

But there are several things that you have to consider, trigger draw, trigger force to fire, weight and balance just to name a few things.

I personally would not go with a 22. Why, no stopping power and -0- fear factor. That is a glorified fly swatter.

I would look into bull nose 38's, and upper end 9mm's. There are several GOOD 9MM modlels out there.

You also want to find something that your comfortable with recoil wise. A 22 has none, 9/.38 are about equall and good for first timers. You want a broken jaw, test fire a DE .50
Without knowing how to fire a hand gun... let a freind fire it once and it kicked back and hit him square in the forhead. 6 stiches (sp?) later he said he would stick to his 9mm. :tease:

Yeah, the H&k's are real nice. Way out of my price range tho. The Smith and Wessons are looking really good tho. I'll have to research them more. Thanks alot for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has a model they would like to recommend feel free. Thanks again.

edit: does anyone know a good website that has price comparisons for these things? I have been looking all day but can't find anything. Alot of these guns are way out of my range, which ias 500 dollars. Thanks again.

wret said:
I have poured thousands of rounds through my S&W 5906. The only jams ever experienced were bad reloads (my own). Very dependable, durable weapon.
VERY VERY good 9 mil.

Bostedquest said:
I You want a broken jaw, test fire a DE .50
Without knowing how to fire a hand gun... let a freind fire it once and it kicked back and hit him square in the forhead. 6 stiches (sp?) later he said he would stick to his 9mm. :tease:

A .50 DE was my second weapon and was just for fun, not practical in the least. That thing sure did draw a crowd though. I would step up, fire 2 shots and everyone else would stop firing and come over.

Bostedquest said:
I own several caliber rifles (very big- like .50 cal big @ 24$ a round) and up to a DE 50 handgun.

I would not suggest Baretta or Rugers as well. Baretta's are OK, but unless kept spotless... they are junk because they jam bad. Same for the Rugers.

I highly suggest a smaller caliber HG for your first one. Test fire several. Look around and ask people (like your doing now).

But there are several things that you have to consider, trigger draw, trigger force to fire, weight and balance just to name a few things.

I personally would not go with a 22. Why, no stopping power and -0- fear factor. That is a glorified fly swatter.

I would look into bull nose 38's, and upper end 9mm's. There are several GOOD 9MM modlels out there.

You also want to find something that your comfortable with recoil wise. A 22 has none, 9/.38 are about equall and good for first timers. You want a broken jaw, test fire a DE .50

Sorry I was thinking of a good gun for a first timer, someone that wants to do a little shooting at a range not someone thats going to be walking the streets with it, and is looking to gun people down :p But yeah you are right about the no stopping power and no fear factor, I just didn't think that was what he was going for. And yeah they don't have a recoil thats why I suggested it. I think for someone who has never shot a gun before it's better to practice aim and mechanics and then progress to a more powerful gun. Just my oppinion.

Springfield XD .40.. its a great gun i love it :thumb:

L2RTSiAWD said:
A .50 DE was my second weapon and was just for fun, not practical in the least. That thing sure did draw a crowd though. I would step up, fire 2 shots and everyone else would stop firing and come over.
try taking that and a M83A1 to a range...
Flip down the bi pod and fire off 5 rounds... at a target 800 yards away!

Yeah people stop when they hear the cannon go off.

A guy actually bet me once that it would not hit a target at 1000 yards... easiest $200 I ever made. And paid for 4 5 round clips to get refilled. :D
Hell 1K yards is nothing for that waist cannon...
Though it DOES have BOTH stopping power and VERY high fear factor... ROFL :D :thumb:

fastalon said:
Springfield XD .40.. its a great gun i love it :thumb:

Got my tactical for $460. A more common 4" service model would be easier for concealed carry and plenty accurate.

Mine's had some work done to it since I bought it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Gun's way more accurate than I am, that's for sure.

[Too big]

crashed97tsi said:
Hey guys,

anyways, I'm looking to buy a gun. I have never fired one before, so this will be my first one. The main reason I'm getting one is because I always had an interest in guns and wanted to learn how to shoot. However, the urge to get one has increased lately because the area in philly I'm moving to is one of the rougher areas in the city, especially for a scrawny white kid. I'm not trying to carry anything around with me, I just want something I can shoot at a range to practice and stuff and something reliable in case someone tries to break into my apartment or something.

Thanks

Guns are a blast to own and shoot, my dad has a Glock 27 .40 cal. and I have a AR-15 plus a bunch of others. I've owned many since I've been a kid and I plan to own many more. Be careful with whatever you buy though. Treat it as if it's always loaded. My brother was cleaning his buddies pistol once thinking it was empty and ended up blowing a hole through his apartment floor. Imagine if there was a body in the way......

Just one thing about you wanting to own gun for self-defense, make sure that you are willing and ready to use it. If somebody breaks into your house and you pull a gun, there is a chance that you are going to have to take their life. Are you willing to do that? Can you do that? He/she may run, but what if they try and wrestle the gun from you?(back to the scrawny white guy comment) You will be in even more trouble than before. I don't want to bust your bubble, anything but that! Guns are fun and are a very good self-defense tool. But just keep in mind that they are NOT toys and CAN and DO kill people.

Good luck shopping, if you're looking for a self defense weapon, you may want to look at a .40 caliber pistol. It hits almost like a .45 but doesn't kick nearly as bad. It only kicks like a 9mm. My Uncle is a police officer and he uses a .40 for that reason. He's shot people with a 9mm and they just kept on comin. The .40 will stop somebody in their tracks, and you can control your second shot if needed.

Im moving to philly next month too! what area you gonna be in? When I lived in detroit I had a ruger 10mm with an extended clip. some one stole the gun and left the clip. It didnt really bother me though since the thing was such a piece of crap. Glock makes several subcompact 9mm that are very decent. Also, theres no better self defense weapon than a shotgun. #### that sucker and hear em run. Find a local shooting range and talk to some people, chances are theyll let you shoot some of their stuff and give you alot of advice. FOr home defense I suggest a shot gun, and for out and about a .38snub or a glock subcompact both work wornders.

mavisky said:
Got my tactical for $460. A more common 4" service model would be easier for concealed carry and plenty accurate.

Mine's had some work done to it since I bought it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Gun's way more accurate than I am, that's for sure.

[Too big]
Where did you get the tac-light?

All the ones I have seen look and feel to "cheap".

Hand guns kept for self defence are the ones which are most commonly used upon the owner in mugging and robery situations. Unless you were trained and trained well to use the gun its going to hurt you more then help you. Leave the gun play to cops and the military they know how and when to use them.

No I am not an anti gun fanatic. I have several rifles, hand guns, and a state carry permit. I have a very modified AR-15 and a Glock 26(9mm) for self defence purposes and a few other guns.

I like the Glock for its size and simplicity, it can take alot of abuse and still fire unlike alot of guns like the Baretta which jam if a piece of dust touches it.

Nanan said:
Hand guns kept for self defence are the ones which are most commonly used upon the owner in mugging and robery situations. Unless you were trained and trained well to use the gun its going to hurt you more then help you. Leave the gun play to cops and the military they know how and when to use them.
:rolleyes: The whole point is he wants to learn. Try learning Japanese without speaking it, reading about it, etc.

LandoAWD said:
Where did you get the tac-light?

All the ones I have seen look and feel to "cheap".

That's exactly what this one is. Cheap. In fact its never really on the gun except for at home where its marginally useful.

I'll eventually be picking up a streamlight/insight m6 (not the m6x) for the gun.

WadexTSi said:
Im moving to philly next month too! what area you gonna be in? When I lived in detroit I had a ruger 10mm with an extended clip. some one stole the gun and left the clip. It didnt really bother me though since the thing was such a piece of crap. Glock makes several subcompact 9mm that are very decent. Also, theres no better self defense weapon than a shotgun. #### that sucker and hear em run. Find a local shooting range and talk to some people, chances are theyll let you shoot some of their stuff and give you alot of advice. FOr home defense I suggest a shot gun, and for out and about a .38snub or a glock subcompact both work wornders.

I go to school at temple, so I'll be relatively close to campus. Only problem is anywher off campus at temple is not the nicest area. Thanks for the advice but there is no way I'm getting a shotgun, my roomates would probably be a little freaked out about that.

Also, I fully understand that guns are dangerous. I'll be trying many out at the ranges before I buy one. As far as taking a life, if they are threatening mine then I have no reservations of doing so. However, I have a lot to learn about guns yet, and thank you for reminding me that things can get alot worse with thm instead of better.

Well, thanks again for all the help guys. :thumb:

I bought a Springfield .40 4" model and I think its a great gun.

Don't you HATE thread necromancy?

I went to the gun show last weekend, and despite the cold shoulder the wife has given me since, I am happy with my purchase.

Picked up a Glock22 with a pre-installed Applied Laser Systems trigger-gaurd mounted dot maker. SEEMS to be pretty much on, but time will tell...or rather, the range will tell this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll use this for conceal/carry, but being the large bastard I am, I'm sure I'll be able to. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0964 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    IMG_0964 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0965 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    IMG_0965 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 193
Congrats on joining the Glock family!!! Hope you enjoy shooting the Glock as much as I do!!! FYI, be careful handling the gun with the laser site since they are easy to "offset".

EXCELLENT PURCHASE!!! Now go get yourself a Glock Big Stick!!!

Eclipzed
G19
G36

are there any good sites out there where i can post a gun for sale? i didn't think it would be appropriate to do here - or is it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back