The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Two front cases, two blown oil pumps. Has ANYONE ever seen this before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flat four

Probationary Member
Jun 9, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First front case was assembled with an ebay stubby shaft. Found this out when i blew out the first oil pump. So i bought a new oem front case and stubby shaft from Mitsubishi. This setup lasted about ten miles before i started blowing oil out of my oil pump pulley. Not sure why this keeps happening, does anyone have any thought or ideas on how to remedy this???

I replaced the stubby shaft with an oem mirage 1.8 stub shaft. No parts were used from the first case in the second. I kinda feel the timing was too tight and possibly i overtightened the oil pump pulley as well.

My question is i have straight cut oil gears, can i put them back in the old case or are there bearings in the case that are unreplacable?

Might sound crazy, but what i did was find a used oem oil pump that is in good shape, and slap some straight cut gears in there along with new seals and good to go! If the case is in good shape without any scoring in it and has 100k miles then its still has plenty of life left. Mine was used with straight cut gears and is still kicking after two years and 100 or so passes down the track reving to 9k.

Deburr the gears and use a heavier weight oil if your not using one already. I use 20W50, take your gears too a wire brush wheel and deburr them. You will see the burrs flying off the gears edges (which if not) can pose a thread to the front case, by digging into it like yours did. This solved all issues for me..and im reving to 9200.

From the desk of Tim Z. when I asked him specifically about building my 2.3 motor and doing a BSE.
When you do run the BSEK, change the stock 2g oil pump gears to 1990 straight cut gears in the 2g oil pump case assembly and debur/detail the gears.
If you are running a stub shaft with helical gears you will thrust load them and they will die.
These are the '90 straight cuts he's referring to.

:dsm:

Crap. I rebuilt my engine a few years ago and didn't know about this. Fortunately, my car is still running great. I don't even remember what type of gear my engine had. Since its an early 7 bolt, it should have the helical gear. I hope it keeps up the good work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back