The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone ever broken this before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TalonTC

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2011
Carol Stream, Illinois
I have yet to hear of anyone snapping the oil filter stud on a 1G 4G63t, but I found a way to apparently. Looking at it right now, there's an oil cooler unit that attaches itself to the oil filter housing via the stud, which is then used as the filter's connection to the motor.

Well I went to take it off the old motor as I was swapping in a newer one, and the stud outright snapped. On closer look, the seemingly spotless stud rusted out inside the oil cooler unit from the years of sitting, causing it to break with very little effort on my part.

So now, I am scrambling in order to hope and pray that someone or some business has one of these studs for sale. So my question is: does anybody know where I can find one of these studs, or maybe someone has one? I believe it is a stock oil cooler unit on these motors, looks like a really thick donut with a big hole in the middle, with two coolant hose connectors that come off of it. I HAVE THE UNIT ITSELF, BUT NO STUD TO HOLD IT ONTO THE MOTOR.

If anybody even happens to know the exact dimensions of this piece, down to length, size, pitch on either end, even wrench size for the hex bit itself, it would be greatly appreciated... this project has been 10 months in the making and is ALMOST completed and road-worthy again.

Also, on a side note, here's the remaining parts I am looking for:
Driver's side radiator fan motor
battery tray
the INTERIOR panel that covers the light bulb sockets on the passenger side taillight.

Thanks for reading everyone, hopefully I can find some answers.

Looks like this... right? ;)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can't say that I've heard of the stud snapping, but it's pretty common for them to back out, or to be over-tightened which crushes the cooling fins and causes oil and water to mix.

(The one pictured has been modified, including a ported OFH and a lock screw to keep the stud from backing out or from crushing the cooler fins due to over-tightening).

I believe the P/N you want is: MD143507 "Bolt, Engine Oil Cooler". BUT... if it has set long enough for the bolt to degrade enough to snap, there is no way in hell I would run that cooler. The interior is probably shot as well, and that is one place you definitely don't want to go cheap and take a chance of mixing your coolant and oil.

Another option is to do away with the cooler altogether and go with an oil-to-air setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly it!!

I don't know how or why I haven't been able to find it before now, but thanks for showing me the pic because I had a hard time trying to explain what it looked like LOL

So now do you think it would be more worthwhile buying a whole new assembly, or just the stud? pricing is not really a barrier, just wondering what you think there.

Well it's your call really, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to get a new cooling unit if you know that the insides are damaged or degrading. If anything just clean it out real well with a degrease. You can also try doing a pressure test on the coolant lines to be sure the internals aren't collapsed.

Calan beat me to it.

Alright, Ill do that then. This car when I got it was a complete mess under hood and now it looks almost like a normal engine bay again... but now, since I am currently working on it, where do those 2 coolant hoses line up to off of the oil cooler unit?

I also have 2 small hoses that look to be like 1/4" or 3/8" hoses coming off of the intake pipe just behind the air filter. As another quick question, they seem like they run to the charcoal canister, which has been removed. am I right in my assumption?

Sorry for the continuing questions here, I am on a roll with this car right now and figure that while my questions are being answered I might as well ask them. I have another 3 or 4 questions but i may be saving that for a later date.

Since I said in the first post it was a 1G 4G63t, its the 6-bolt older motor.

Alright so it has been a few days since I last posted regarding this, but I got the stud and looked at the cooling unit itself to check and see if the fins were bad, and sure enough they are smashed in from the old bolt being over-torqued (which doesn't surprise me at all-- that's actually probably why the stud itself snapped thinking back on it now)...

On that note, does anybody have any suggestions on what a good website for these harder-to-find parts are, because I have gone to several sites, such as RockAuto, ExtremePSI, even looking up at sites like MyHotTalon (which was no help at all). Haven't been able to find the OEM cooling unit though :\

Also, before any suggestions are made, I am not looking to go super aftermarket as of yet... I have gotten some performance parts trading around for the parts, but my goal is to get it running first. I want this thing drivable before I start throwing on massive amounts of performance equipment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back