The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Tint Removal [Merged 12-7] removing film taking off scraping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

removing your tint depends on the type of tint and how old. if its baked on(more than 6 months) or its a low grade tint(walmart) you will more than likely have to do some scraping, i personally dont like to use any harsh removal agents. some goo gone and a razor blade will get the job done real quick. if the tint isnt baked on you might be able to lift a corner with a heat gun and pull the whole sheet right off, if its a decent grade film you can probably pull the whole sheet off but there will be a layer of adhesive still on the window, refer to the googone and razor method above. good luck

I used goo gone and a razor blade, Stank like raw hell but it came off with a bit of elbow grease without a problem, I can now see out of my rear window.. Woot woot!

The consensus I've come up with is ammonia or your local auto part store's tint remover, in conjunction with a garbage bag and glass scraper.

Coat the window with the ammonia/tint remover, cover with a garbage bag so it doesn't evaporate, then let sit for a half hour. Everything should come off nice and easy, including the sticky residue.

Do NOT use the scraper on the back window, as mentioned before, because it will ruin your defrosters. If this is for a rear window I would just take it to a local tint shop, it's not worth the hassle.

i completely agree with the razor problem on the back window........ a cheeper alternative to taking it to a tint shop and having them remove it is buying a very vine scotchbrite scrubber. dont use the kind you wash your dishes with, theres a white version they use to clean the rear window prior to tinting, caqll up a tint shop and you can probably pick one up for $5..... the scotchbrite in addition to goo gone/alcohol will take it right off just remember to not go overboard as continuous scrubbing with this will scratch the window. good luck. {Boost}

I have been tinting windows along time now. And the best advice is the ammonia and cover with a garbage bag. Plus, you don't have to buy straight ammonia.

Glass cleaner such as glass plus or any good brand is 60% ammonia and will do they trick just fine. If you have a bottle of this, it will work

Use hot soapy water, spray it on the window. Tape over a trash bag so it can soak. The warmer it is, the easier the tint comes off.
Use a razer blade on the side windows, but I'd recommend not using it on the rear hatch. If you're not careful you can take out the defrosters.

Or you can call around and get price quotes from local tint shops.

anyone got any suggestions on removing tint/glue on my back hatch window without nicking the defrost?

what i did was i took a sharp razor blade and be very careful and go straight down the window being careful to stop at the defroster or go very lightly over them and then peel slowly from the line you just cut then take some goo gone or nail polish remover to get the glue off.

I used a steamer the ones you use for taking wallpaper off with, Id tried a few things and this was by far the easiest.
The best method I found was to take the pan off of the steamer so your left with just the hose, once the steamer is up to speed let the steam melt the glue underneath first, then with your nails get hold of a bit of tint and as you begin to peel start steaming the bit just ahead, slowly steam and peel, mine came off in sheets.

I have been told (but have yet to try it) by some tint experts that you spray it with 409 and let it sit and the tint will peel right off. make sure to put some towels/rags to cover you interior from falling tint. Also 409 is suppose to take off the glue. If I had some I would go out to my BMW and give it a try and let you know but I don't have any 409.

LOL this is funny every one wants to take their tint off and im going to have darker tint put on. probably not the best idea though. to hell with it ill have dark windows if i want stick it to the man one dark ass window at a time

Soak the tint with any amonia based window cleaner. Tape up the window with a black trash bag. Let it sit in the sun for 30 min or so. Viola it comes rite off. Best way I've found. Don't take a razor blade to the rear window; no matter how carful you are.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back