The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tint Removal [Merged 12-7] removing film taking off scraping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxtwistedpnoyxx

Probationary Member
Oct 24, 2002
california
well i just bought a 92 laser awd turbo but all the windows are really tinted dark. i need to know a good way to remove the tint from the front driver and passenger side windows without leaving any of that sticky stuff?

i recently got pulled over for having too dark of tint... some cops can be really dumb sometimes. i'm sorry, i just had to throw that in :mad:

use hair dryer and razor blade like cucumber said. you didn't say anything about the rear window, but if you are doing that too be careful around the defroster stuff, definitely don't want to scrape that off unless you don't mind not being able to see out the back in the winter.

I did Windex and a razor blade. Makes globs of gooey balls, but it comes off none the less.

It takes a lot of patience, razor blade, nail polish remover, and i highly suggest something to cover your nose while you're doing it. mine stunk so bad, the glue on the old tint was so old.. also, i wouldn't even mess with the rear window, have that professionally done.

Originally posted by Airpoppoff
borrow a steam cleaner from somewhere, it all comes off at once DAMNNIT!!! no one listens to me....

:thumb: I'm with you on that as the easiest way!

there was about 9 inches of tint going down my windshield when i bought it, i took it off with a plain razor blade and some adhesive remover. cant think of hte name off the top of my head though. it was in an aerosol can and worked great.

i say use the baseball bat...
tint is a beatch to get off... but makes your ride look veeeeeery nice.... why would u want to take it off anyways?

i got a ticket for my front windows, i saved alot of time buy paying a tint shop $20 (10 for each window) to take it off, took like 20 minutes

i feel your pain. i had l everything tinted way dark and kept getting pulled over. finally a state cop told me to take it off in front of him or get a 75 dollar ticket...easy choice. any way heres the deal.

start at the front corner it seems to help to go diagnolly from the corners to the top and then continue to pull across horizontally until it's off. i did this it was no problem.

2) take fingernail polish remover (trust me i road around for 1 month with the glue residue from the tint all over my windows. i tried everything and then i was watching my fiancee paint her nails when bamm the idea struck. it will take quite a bit, so buy a few big bottles and some throw away rags.

3) apply the finger nail polish remover onto the rag, or use a small spray bottle (this really worked) and scrub the glue off. hope this helps.

jeff

It's a real big pain in the a$$. For the tint I used windex and a razor blade, make sure you keep it really wet. Then try it with a rag to get the glue off.

Actually if you want to save some $$$. Us e the solution that they recomend on putting the tint on with. It's on quart water + 1 tsp clear dishwashing soap. Spray it on the the window after you have pulled the tint off. Spray it heavily, let it sit for about 5-10 min, then spray it down again, and wipe off with a rag. Done, you shouldn't have to use a razor blade at all. That solution works good on any type of sticker also, whether it be on paint or glass, and it won't hurt your paint's finish.

what i did when i had to take it off was i just used windex but dont spray the windex on the glass sparay it onto a paper towel or a rag heavily and then scrub the window really hard. If you spray it on the window for some reason it doesnt come off as easily.

Funny this thread came up too. Im going to the DMV in about 15 minutes to get my tints checked due to one of those nice $121 tickets for them. So hopefully they pass. Wish me luck :thumb:

I've been detailing cars for the past 3 years, and from my experience, just use alot of glass cleaner, amonia free foam of course, keep it wet and use a razor blade very lightly. You wont even have to wipe the glue away, because it just comes off on the razor, then just wipe it on a towel, or as i did, you jeans. Then just clean the window again, and your done.

Originally posted by TurboBlue
Funny this thread came up too. Im going to the DMV in about 15 minutes to get my tints checked due to one of those nice $121 tickets for them. So hopefully they pass. Wish me luck :thumb:

I've been detailing cars for the past 3 years, and from my experience, just use alot of glass cleaner, amonia free foam of course, keep it wet and use a razor blade very lightly. You wont even have to wipe the glue away, because it just comes off on the razor, then just wipe it on a towel, or as i did, you jeans. Then just clean the window again, and your done.

121$ damn you guys get raped for window tints in cali its only a 10 fix it ticket

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back