The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

steering wheel removal [Merged 3-7] removing taking off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remove the ground battery wire
remove the (4) 10mm bolts that hold the air bag on
Unclip the airbag harness and put the airbag outside of the car
Put the ground battery wire back on
Make sure the steering wheel is completely centered, turn the car on and drive forward a few feet just to make sure.
Remove the large nut that holds the steering wheel on
Grab the steering wheel at 3oclock and 9 oclock and rock it back and forth from side to side until it comes off. DO NOT pull it straight at you unless you want it to hit you in the face. (objects in motion stay in motion)
Put the hub on make sure it is centered, most hubs have an arrow that says top make sure its at 12 o'clock
Screw the steering wheel nut on
Torque the steering wheel nut down to spec
Install the steering wheel onto the hub

The center nut is supposed to be torqued down to 25ftlbs, I found this to be not enough with the aftermarket hub. Put a 1/2 inch lock washer on before the nut, have someone hold the steering wheel, and tighten the hell out of the nut.

I find it odd that this hasn't happened to anyone else, but when I was installing my steering wheel, I ran into a few barriers. First off, I couldn't just disconnect the wires, as one of them ran under some areas and couldn't be snaked back through because the head of the wire wouldn't fit through the gaps. To solve this, I just snipped all the wires...I don't need a horn right now, nor do I require my cruise control.

The second issue I encountered was after pulling the stock wheel off. I found there was a plastic thing that wouldn't allow my hub adapter to fully lock into place. I remember it as a plastic ring that could be pushed in slightly and would spring back out gently when you stopped pushing it in. At the time, I didn't notice anyway to remove this plastic ring, so I tore it out with a screw driver and my barehands. Inside this, I found it was attached to oily wound ribbon (probably a good couple metres of ribbon) which I fully pulled out and then snipped at the end with scissors. It was only after this, that my hub adapter was able to fit teeth perfectly between teeth. Go figure! Does anyone know what these things were?? I've been driving without any issues now for quite a while, so I assume they aren't integral to anything.

That allows the wires to pass into the oem steering wheel and not rip when you turn the wheel. There are 2 arrows on that peice make sure they are at 12 oclock that means your steering wheel is centered. There are (4) small gold phillips head screws that hold that peice on. Just remove the screws and that whole peice comes right off.

The second issue I encountered was after pulling the stock wheel off. I found there was a plastic thing that wouldn't allow my hub adapter to fully lock into place. I remember it as a plastic ring that could be pushed in slightly and would spring back out gently when you stopped pushing it in. At the time, I didn't notice anyway to remove this plastic ring, so I tore it out with a screw driver and my barehands. Inside this, I found it was attached to oily wound ribbon (probably a good couple metres of ribbon) which I fully pulled out and then snipped at the end with scissors.
That was the clockspring. It is the wiring to feed the cruise and the facebomb. It's so those long wires don't get broken by being wrapped and unwrapped around the column.

When replacing oem steering wheel with aftermarket, do you lose the cruise control function?

Wow, I got a little scared when reading all this stuff about steering wheel pullers. It sounded like a hard job. I just undid the center nut, followed Defiant's pull at "7 o'clock" hit with palm at "10 o'clock", and then just wiggled it a few times, and it came off with no problems.

God, I hate being the forum newb.

Anyway, I've been browsing through the forums trying to find a write up on the removal of the OEM steering wheel on a 2G, but have not come up with much aside from peeps swapping out to after market wheels (and still then not with a write up).

Does anyone have a link to a detailed write up here or on another forum?

Also, as a side note, I'm trying to swap the wheel off this car with the one I took off my evo. I'm hoping everything will match up but if anyone can share their experience or "I heards" it would be appreciated. (I know I'll lose the cruise control)

Thanks in advance,

Blaze

1. Disconnect battery and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. Unbolt the air bag (4 10mm bolts on the back of the wheel).
3. Unplug the white connector on the airbag portion and the one on the purple wire.
4. Remove the nut from the center of the steering wheel.
5. Push on the wheel at 10 o'clock and bang on the wheel at 6 o'clock. Just make sure your face isn't anywhere near it.

Edit: Not sure what Evo you're pulling the wheel for, but here's a thread about an Evo 8 wheel in a 2G - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115084&highlight=steering+wheel

Also, please put car info in your profile so we can help you out better. I'm just guessing you have a 2G but I really can't tell from the distorted picture.

1. Disconnect battery and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. Unbolt the air bag (4 10mm bolts on the back of the wheel).
3. Unplug the white connector on the airbag portion and the one on the purple wire.
4. Remove the nut from the center of the steering wheel.
5. Push on the wheel at 10 o'clock and bang on the wheel at 6 o'clock. Just make sure your face isn't anywhere near it.

Wow, easy!
(probably why there isn't a faq for it)

Thanks man :thumb:

Any idea if the steering columns are the same on the Evos and 2Gs?

Any idea if the steering columns are the same on the Evos and 2Gs?

No problem. See the edit to my post above. I might have added that after you posted this. If that doesn't help much, start a new thread and see because there was only 2 or 3 threads about Evo wheels and one dealt with a 1G and one didn't have any answer.

Umm.. Actually the way people usually do it is to NOT back the nut out all the way and actually back it out half way and you get a good footing inside the car and pull as hard as you can. This will pop the wheel out and the nut will prevent it from smacking you in the face.

Umm.. Actually the way people usually do it is to NOT back the nut out all the way and actually back it out half way and you get a good footing inside the car and pull as hard as you can. This will pop the wheel out and the nut will prevent it from smacking you in the face.

Reduced face smacking WOULD be preferred.... ROFL

Thanks again guys. But it seems that now I need to research how I'm going to get the EVO wheel onto the steering column before I bother pulling the OE one off.

Cheers,

Blaze

The evo wheel wont fit on the 2g one. The spline count is different. You need to take the spline out of the 2g wheel and weld it into the evo one. Then it will work. Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back