The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

The Sexy Grandma 15 day build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today is the big day. Time to see what she can do at the track. I did some 2nd gear pulls outside the shop yesterday and holy shit... Ive never felt anything like that in my life. Hopefully that will turn into some good times at the track.

Hey Alex it was unfortunate about that small issue at the track! Seemed like it would of done some good sh**! Looking forward on future times!! Good luck..

Valve cover gasket blew first pass. They most likely fixed it last night at the shop and should be back at the track today.

Ya, the valve cover gasket blew. Nothing serious. It was a combo of crank case pressure and some of the bolts holding the valve cover backed off a little. There was a lot of smoke from the oil on the manifold, and that was the most "damage" the car suffered. We got it back to the shop that night and started working on it. There was a catch can given to us and we drilled and tapped the valve cover and we were all set to go at 12am this morning/night. Let just say it was a long weekend. Made some rips down the street this morning infront of the shop and all was well so we loaded up the car and took her to the track. The car ran like a champ all day. Because my chassis is not ceritfied yet the track wouldnt let me keep going if I went 9.99 or 135 or faster. Needless to say I was bummed about that. The track was SUPER slick and I had no traction in 1st or 2nd gear. First weekend of the season, so I guess that is to be expectid. I couldnt get my full throttle 1-2 shift down for the life or me, so I ended up lifting for that shift and keeping it pinned the rest of the track. As the day progressed the track got better and my times started going down. We were getting the tire pressure and suspension set up dialed and then I got kicked off for going too fast (MPH). The E.T. wasnt very good, 10.20 but the trap was 143mph. Once the car starts to hook the times will for sure be in the 9's. The car was on 29-31psi so for that boost level it did good. Overall Im happy with the way the day ended up, especially because the hellish day we had yesterday (Sat). The drivetrain held together good, so now I just need to get back in the seat and pracitce my launch, and 1-2 shift. The car will be getting back to the track once the dash bar is installed. Then I can get it ceritfied and do all the stupid NHRA tests and be ready to rock and roll again.

Glad things went good today. I will try to get up with you later in the week. If all goes well I hope to be picking up the new ride Friday.

We do have video but my camera died and me being the idiot I am left the charger at the shop. Ill get it tomorrow and see if I can upload at least the last pass of the day. Oh and I forgot to mention, half way through the day my tach stopped working. So I was shifting by ear and by the tap-tap-tap of the rev limiter. The tach is a on again off again thing that we just have to spend a little more time with to get it figgured out.

This is promising! 9's will be easy, I'm sure.

BTW, pistons with the little pressure relief holes (I don't remember the exact name) do WONDERS to keep crankcase pressure down.

This is promising! 9's will be easy, I'm sure.

BTW, pistons with the little pressure relief holes (I don't remember the exact name) do WONDERS to keep crankcase pressure down.

Im hoping it will be easy. The car held up very well and I think if I would have kept going then I would have gotten 9's for sure. Im going to get the chassis certified here in the next week or so and Ill be able to race again. I believe the pistons are Wiesco 1400HD's. Those will be going in my new motor. And to awnser your previous question about the inducer, I believe it is a 74mm but to be honest Im not sure.

well till next track day!!! should have my car back up, try for 11.7!!!!!

I hope so buddy. I really think you have that in the bag. All you have to do is work on those 60ft times and its right there. :thumb:

Here are some pics of our quick overnight fix so we could run on Sunday. Its not the best looking thing in the world but it works.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Heres a little video of some launch practice outside the shop. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FItVj2Rd0D8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FItVj2Rd0D8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here are some pre-race shots of the car loaded in the trailer

Sick launch, beautiful car. Wish this was on the east coast so I could see it in person. Good luck with it. I can't wait just to see elevens with my car let alone what your doing.

Here are some pics of our quick overnight fix so we could run on Sunday. Its not the best looking thing in the world but it works.

So if you are build a full on race car why would you not put in more crank case breathers. Come on. Big power and big boost is going to need more piston to wall clearance. That in turn is going to give you more crank case pressure.

how could you build a car to this caliber and not open up a NHRA rulebook?

So if you are build a full on race car why would you not put in more crank case breathers. Come on. Big power and big boost is going to need more piston to wall clearance. That in turn is going to give you more crank case pressure.

We never had a problem with it be for and we never had a problem with it on the Dyno. The funny thing is we were talking about a breather system the night befor the opening track day. Go figgure, I guess the car heard me.

how could you build a car to this caliber and not open up a NHRA rulebook?

As a matter of fact, we opened the rule book quite a few times. The car would have passed the chassis inspection, but the person who I spoke with (not the certification person) said it wouldnt pass because of no dash bar. So I left it at that. But looking back at the rules and speaking with the certification person over the phone, they state that there is no need for a dash bar unless you have a modified fire wall. Well, my fire wall is still stock. So, now I can get the car certified and do my passes to get the licence.

Yakima told us the same thing when our cage is certfied. Wanted to get there tech guy down decertify the cage. LIke you said the rules say we dont need one unles the fire wall is Modded.

We were able to run fine with a best of 9.4 and a few 9.5-9.8's

The certification dude I spoke over the phone was cool and knew exactly what was up. So needless to say he will be the only guy Im going to be speaking with concerning the cars chassis certification. When do you guys think the cars are going to be out in my neck of the woods (Yakima and Spokane)? Id love to see them make a couple of passes.

Well its hard to say. I have been spending all my extra time the last month on the Dyno stuff, But its about done now.

Jeffs car has the trans out now for a stall change and the EVO is still apart and I hope I can get a window next week to start going again on it. Since I went the 9.6 in the Turd it now also need all 9sec crap before I can run it again.

I am sure I will be to Yakama once by mid summer.

You should come down to Portland and run your beast on the dyno and go to Woodburn it.

Well its hard to say. I have been spending all my extra time the last month on the Dyno stuff, But its about done now.

Jeffs car has the trans out now for a stall change and the EVO is still apart and I hope I can get a window next week to start going again on it. Since I went the 9.6 in the Turd it now also need all 9sec crap before I can run it again.

I am sure I will be to Yakama once by mid summer.

You should come down to Portland and run your beast on the dyno and go to Woodburn it.

Once we get the cage certified, get the bigger injectors in it and were able to turn up the boost then I think a "road trip" will be in order. I know it would be pushing it but the brand new track in Spokane opens on the 1st of May. They say its a WAY better track. We shall see.

Once we get the cage certified, get the bigger injectors in it and were able to turn up the boost then I think a "road trip" will be in order. I know it would be pushing it but the brand new track in Spokane opens on the 1st of May. They say its a WAY better track. We shall see.

Our Spokane track is going to be awesome!!!

New concrete to the 1/8 mile.
New reader boards
New timing system

Plus we are having a sport compact series every month with pay-outs.:thumb:

Both of you guys should venture over.:pray:

Our Spokane track is going to be awesome!!!

New concrete to the 1/8 mile.
New reader boards
New timing system

Plus we are having a sport compact series every month with pay-outs.:thumb:

Both of you guys should venture over.:pray:

I heard it should be one heck of a track, I cant wait!!! :thumb: Ill be there for the first track day. That is May 1st if I remember correctly.

Cool, what is end goal for this beast...

I guess thats kind of a vague question. For this year if I could make a 8.9999999999 that would be great, or get into the 160's. The car has all the parts to do it so I just have to drive it. For the life of the car. Well we will just have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back