The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

T3 GT3076 vs FP3052

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daren_p

DSM Wiseman
Nov 22, 2004
Newmarket, ON_Canada
Okay so on my other big turbo thread I ruled out 2 of my 3 choices & made up my mind to go GT3076, as I want to go to external WG & by the time I get all the pieces to do it the way I want I might as well spend the money on a T3 setup instead of factory style parts. I origionally ruled out the FP3052 do to cost but when I add both setups all up they are both in the same ballpark with the FP setup being abit cheeper. So I would like everyones input on which one of these 2 setups they would prefer & why.

Origional choice is the GT3076 with the 4" PS inlet, 2" out, .60AR (same cover a 3052, std 3076 cover), connected to a turbonetics or turbonetics style mani, tial 38 mm WG off #1 runner, ATP custom cast 5 bolt .63 AR turbine housing (cast internally to mirror the proper GT housing that was designed specifically for the GT series of turbos), victory performance 2.5" SS O2 housing.

I like this setup because I believe it will give me more turbo options in the future if need be, I think the mani is a better design then the stocker.

Now the FP 3052 setup would be pretty straight forward, would be hooked up to my SBR cast mani (have to take it off & get some cracks welded up), connected to a tial 44 mm gate & their Vband 2.5" O2 housing.

Things I like about this is its more "stock" looking since I believe I can still run the factory mani heat shield, the idea of the vband on the exhaust side is neat, doesn't require additional gaskets (have spare turbo to mani, vband doesn't require any) & the cost would end up being abit cheeper as I can source all the parts from one location.

As far as power production & spool Im not sure what setup would be better in which department. The FP has a larger turbine AR but I don't believe you can compare the AR's of these two housings since they are made by different companies & the numbers wont be relavent. Some have said a T3 setup is outdated & there are better options out, so Im assuming he's talking about FP setups as Im pretty sure he's not refering to the mitsu type bolt on housing ;)

Okay so on my other big turbo thread I ruled out 2 of my 3 choices & made up my mind to go GT3076, as I want to go to external WG & by the time I get all the pieces to do it the way I want I might as well spend the money on a T3 setup instead of factory style parts. I origionally ruled out the FP3052 do to cost but when I add both setups all up they are both in the same ballpark with the FP setup being abit cheeper. So I would like everyones input on which one of these 2 setups they would prefer & why.

Origional choice is the GT3076 with the 4" PS inlet, 2" out, .60AR (same cover a 3052, std 3076 cover), connected to a turbonetics or turbonetics style mani, tial 38 mm WG off #1 runner, ATP custom cast 5 bolt .63 AR turbine housing (cast internally to mirror the proper GT housing that was designed specifically for the GT series of turbos), victory performance 2.5" SS O2 housing.

I like this setup because I believe it will give me more turbo options in the future if need be, I think the mani is a better design then the stocker.

Now the FP 3052 setup would be pretty straight forward, would be hooked up to my SBR cast mani (have to take it off & get some cracks welded up), connected to a tial 44 mm gate & their Vband 2.5" O2 housing.

Things I like about this is its more "stock" looking since I believe I can still run the factory mani heat shield, the idea of the vband on the exhaust side is neat, doesn't require additional gaskets (have spare turbo to mani, vband doesn't require any) & the cost would end up being abit cheeper as I can source all the parts from one location.

As far as power production & spool Im not sure what setup would be better in which department. The FP has a larger turbine AR but I don't believe you can compare the AR's of these two housings since they are made by different companies & the numbers wont be relavent. Some have said a T3 setup is outdated & there are better options out, so Im assuming he's talking about FP setups as Im pretty sure he's not refering to the mitsu type bolt on housing ;)

A very large part of my descision to go with t3 over a 3065 was upgrading. If I ever want to upgrade in the future all of my options would be available and I wouldn't have to worry about another manifold unless you step up to a t4 housing.

Many of us have been in the same boat, and my personal opinion is that it's pointless to go full Garrett and then stay with a short, unequal length manifold, especially one that has the wastegate placement on runner #1. I'm not a big fan of tubulars either, at least on street driven cars. This only leaves one option that I know of - the ERL cast stainless manifold. It's more money, but if you're spending the extra to go T3 that shouldn't be an issue. Another thing to consider is that unlike Mitsu manifolds, all of the T3 manifolds position the turbos slightly differently. This means that the Victory o2 housing may fit great with their manifold but point your downpipe right at the oil pan with another brand of manifold. I think one of the biggest things holding people back from going T3 is the availability of o2 housings. Many people have gone fast on the 3052, as well. FP's turbine scroll is the most Garrett-like of the bolt-ons. Either way, you should be satisfied with it. In the end, only you can decide whether it's worth it or not to make the leap to a T3 hotside (not that it's much of a leap these days).

Many of us have been in the same boat, and my personal opinion is that it's pointless to go full Garrett and then stay with a short, unequal length manifold, especially one that has the wastegate placement on runner #1. I'm not a big fan of tubulars either, at least on street driven cars. This only leaves one option that I know of - the ERL cast stainless manifold. It's more money, but if you're spending the extra to go T3 that shouldn't be an issue. Another thing to consider is that unlike Mitsu manifolds, all of the T3 manifolds position the turbos slightly differently. This means that the Victory o2 housing may fit great with their manifold but point your downpipe right at the oil pan with another brand of manifold. I think one of the biggest things holding people back from going T3 is the availability of o2 housings. Many people have gone fast on the 3052, as well. FP's turbine scroll is the most Garrett-like of the bolt-ons. Either way, you should be satisfied with it. In the end, only you can decide whether it's worth it or not to make the leap to a T3 hotside (not that it's much of a leap these days).

The VP O2 housing is supposed to be designed for the Turbonetics mani but yes like you said if I do want to switch the mani for some reason in the future, the placement will likely not be the same. Where can I find info on this ERL cast manifold you refer too as I've never heard of it? Was just curious why tyou don't like the #1 runner placement? I would think its because you think its better to take exhaust flow from all cylinders equally? Im not an expert but my thought was that since the mani would be pressurized (if I recall FP said if you have over ~30 psi in the mani your exhaust side is too much of a restriction) so I would think you may see 20 psi no problem. When something is pressurized the pressure is equal everywhere, so my thinking would be it basically equals things out?

I would assume both of these setups would perform fairly closely thats why I would like peoples input on which route they would choose & speciifics reason why. Thanks for the input so far & keep the replys coming :thumb:

The VP O2 housing is supposed to be designed for the Turbonetics mani but yes like you said if I do want to switch the mani for some reason in the future, the placement will likely not be the same. Where can I find info on this ERL cast manifold you refer too as I've never heard of it?

I would assume both of these setups would perform fairly closely thats why I would like peoples input on which route they would choose & speciifics reason why. Thanks for the input so far & keep the replys coming :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ERL STAINLESS cast tubular manifold
http://www.inteli-com.com/erl/erl_dealers.asp

More info here - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50348953

Thanks for the links DGajre777, nice looking mani but I think I'm leaining towards the FP3052 now. I like how its more "stock" looking & the fact that I can get everything from one vendor & everything will bolt up without any issues.

I have a FP3052 and I have loved this turbo for about three years. My setup is about to outgrow the turbo and will be going up for sale. The turbo has incredible street maners and sees 27+ psi by 3800rpms. The fact is that this turbo is so good because it is a Garrett Ballistics series GT turbo with a FP turbine housing. The wheels and center section as well as the compressor housing are all Garrett.

I have a FP3052 and I have loved this turbo for about three years. My setup is about to outgrow the turbo and will be going up for sale. The turbo has incredible street maners and sees 27+ psi by 3800rpms. The fact is that this turbo is so good because it is a Garrett Ballistics series GT turbo with a FP turbine housing. The wheels and center section as well as the compressor housing are all Garrett.

Thats what I like to hear :thumb:

WOW..27PSI at 3800rpms...WTF OMG :confused: DAMN..my BEP 50trim makes 22PSI at 4800rpms..
What is max flow on this FP3052??? is it possible to make like 550-600AWHP???
and Love this SS Exhaust side with housing for External gate..
How about FP3065??Mena when spools up..and what is the max power??
Thanks

WOW..27PSI at 3800rpms...WTF OMG :confused: DAMN..my BEP 50trim makes 22PSI at 4800rpms..
What is max flow on this FP3052??? is it possible to make like 550-600AWHP???
and Love this SS Exhaust side with housing for External gate..
How about FP3065??Mena when spools up..and what is the max power??
Thanks

The 3052 is a 52 lb/min compressor, so that would be a rated 520 max hp, while the 3065 would be a 65 lb/min compressor. Not sure about the 3065 but the 3052 seems to be under rated as thats 520 max hp at the crank, while more then a few have made over 500 awhp on it. Depends on the setup but expect ~4000 or slightly under for typical spool on the 3052 & I would imagine the 65 would add another ~500 rpms to that.

The 3052 is a 52 lb/min compressor, so that would be a rated 520 max hp, while the 3065 would be a 65 lb/min compressor. Not sure about the 3065 but the 3052 seems to be under rated as thats 520 max hp at the crank, while more then a few have made over 500 awhp on it. Depends on the setup but expect ~4000 or slightly under for typical spool on the 3052 & I would imagine the 65 would add another ~500 rpms to that.

52lb/min..not so much..mean..my 50trim makes 49lb/min(if the stars are praying..)
and its not a worth to buy this 3052..Only Spool up is MAJOR:toobad: maybe use for stret race..
as for 3065..thats like GT35r..65lb/min...So can say spool up..25Psi on 35R should be at 4300rpms..not so bad..wanna use BC280cams or some 272cams..so biggest power in like 7400rpms..spool up at 4300rpms isn´t bad..

Edit..my friend got Honda civic..1.6VTI.....he is runing Garett GT3076.. and it flows like 52lb/min...he makes 512BHP(on crank) at like27Psi of boost..??so who knows what is max power on that turbo...
Thanks

52lb/min..not so much..mean..my 50trim makes 49lb/min(if the stars are praying..)
and its not a worth to buy this 3052..Only Spool up is MAJOR:toobad: maybe use for stret race..
as for 3065..thats like GT35r..65lb/min...So can say spool up..25Psi on 35R should be at 4300rpms..not so bad..wanna use BC280cams or some 272cams..so biggest power in like 7400rpms..spool up at 4300rpms isn´t bad..

Edit..my friend got Honda civic..1.6VTI.....he is runing Garett GT3076.. and it flows like 52lb/min...he makes 512BHP(on crank) at like27Psi of boost..??so who knows what is max power on that turbo...
Thanks

Does your 50 trim make 49 lb/min or thats what its rated at? I could have swore the 50 trims were rated at 49 lb/min but everywhere I look now, they seem to be listed at 45 lb/min (they are abit under rated as well). A GT3076 is basically the same turbo, well actually it is the exact same wheels, center section & comp cover, all these parts are from Garrett. The only thing FP does is adds their custom cast SS turbine housing & call it a 3052. If you want a sorta bolt on go 3053, if you want to go full T3 then go with the 3076

Heres a couple links from the FP page, on pump 93, 503 whp:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/93octane_full.jpg

& 27 psi on C16, 549 whp:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/27PSIC16_full.jpg

I did 41lb/min..was my max..at 23Psi of boost..checked by DSMlink..
What Iam confused is my Spool up..I think its very high rpms..and 50trims should be street turbos..lower spool..
I found some thread about right tightening WG arm on these turbos..they said that if its Bad install..then spool is high..do you have some opinion??
Thanks

Does your 50 trim make 49 lb/min or thats what its rated at? I could have swore the 50 trims were rated at 49 lb/min but everywhere I look now, they seem to be listed at 45 lb/min (they are abit under rated as well). A GT3076 is basically the same turbo, well actually it is the exact same wheels, center section & comp cover, all these parts are from Garrett. The only thing FP does is adds their custom cast SS turbine housing & call it a 3052. If you want a sorta bolt on go 3053, if you want to go full T3 then go with the 3076

Heres a couple links from the FP page, on pump 93, 503 whp:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/93octane_full.jpg

& 27 psi on C16, 549 whp:

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/27PSIC16_full.jpg

I did 41lb/min..was my max..at 23Psi of boost..checked by DSMlink..
What Iam confused is my Spool up..I think its very high rpms..and 50trims should be street turbos..lower spool..
I found some thread about right tightening WG arm on these turbos..they said that if its Bad install..then spool is high..do you have some opinion??
Thanks

PM sent to keep the thread on track :thumb: .

You can get many different flow rates for GT30's... You can get a 52lb/min, 55lb/min, 60, and even 65. So, the FP 3052 is nothing more than a bolt on 52lb/min GT30. The way I see it, if you are going to be spending all that money, why not get the T3 set-up? It will provide much more room to grow in the future. Plus, you won't be forced to buy all kinds of v-band stuff. Not that v-band is bad, I just hate the idea of being forced into buying something.

I'm an adventurous one, and I prefer to make stuff. For this reason, I'll be going with a full Garrett GT30.

You can get many different flow rates for GT30's... You can get a 52lb/min, 55lb/min, 60, and even 65. So, the FP 3052 is nothing more than a bolt on 52lb/min GT30. The way I see it, if you are going to be spending all that money, why not get the T3 set-up? It will provide much more room to grow in the future. Plus, you won't be forced to buy all kinds of v-band stuff. Not that v-band is bad, I just hate the idea of being forced into buying something.

I'm an adventurous one, and I prefer to make stuff. For this reason, I'll be going with a full Garrett GT30.

For me, the FP setup is better suited to what I want. To go T3 with everything exactly how I would want, it would add another $500 or so to the already expensive FP setup. And for this size of turbo I don't think you will notice much difference between the two setups. Actually some of the T3 housings may not perform as well as the FP housing.

The FP housing has been cast for the GT turbine wheel to get the best performance out of it. The only T3 housing offered from Garrett that is cast specifically for the GT turbine is the GT housing. This is the one that has an extended 3" outlet, which wouldn't be the easiest install on our cars & if you can get it to fit it would defently be a custom O2 housing & downpipe. The std T31 style 4 bolt 2.5" outlet Garret housing they selll for the GT turbos hasn't be designed for the GT wheel, since this is the same housing they used on the older T series turbos, that it was designed for. All they do is just machine it to accept the GT wheel. There would be a noticeable difference in performance with this housing vs the GT housing. There are probably other housings for the GT series of turbos that have been custom cast but the only one I found was the one made by ATP but it is a 5 bolt style housing. The 3052 is very proven and keeps more of a sleeper look IMO.

Im not going for all out performance, just a quick daily driver. So while the FP housing may not perform quite as well as the true GT housing (does anyone know if anyone is even using the proper GT housing on our cars, thats not a completely custom drag car?) It will preform as well or better then the other 4 & 5 bolt housings out there. Plus if the need ever arises I can always slap a 3065 on there :thumb:

A very large part of my descision to go with t3 over a 3065 was upgrading. If I ever want to upgrade in the future all of my options would be available and I wouldn't have to worry about another manifold unless you step up to a t4 housing.

Werd. Same reason I did, though i think the 3052 is a better turbo. Turbo's are made T3, get a t3 mani and you will always have access to any and all garrett's products, as well as hks if our a big spender.

BTW, do not give victory a dime. Scott leaves his website up even though he has closed down his business. He failed for nearly 12 months to give me a product and now tells me if I want a refund to go ahead and sue him cause i can't get money out of a company that doesn't exist.

He is being a major A-hole to me, told me to eat whatever money I gave him and go buy another if i still need it. DO NOT GIVE VICTORY MONEY!!

To reitterate on why I think FP's turbo is better, since it is the same turbo almost in every way, i like the turbine A/R size FP uses better.......

I don't think you would be dissapointed in a garrett either though, try the .63 and if it sucks, spend 180 and try the .83.

Im not going for all out performance, just a quick daily driver

Me thinks you are way over-analyzing your decision making process on this CHRA if the statement above is accurate. Now, if you wanted to eeek out that extra .01% while adding lag then go Garrett. Otherwise, numerous 500WHP Dyno sheets and 10-sec timeslips have proven that the FP3052 version is more than capable for 99.9% of us humans ;) :dsm:

Me thinks you are way over-analyzing your decision making process on this CHRA if the statement above is accurate. Now, if you wanted to eeek out that extra .01% while adding lag then go Garrett. Otherwise, numerous 500WHP Dyno sheets and 10-sec timeslips have proven that the FP3052 version is more than capable for 99.9% of us humans ;) :dsm:

I'm not over-analyzing my choice as I've already made up my mind that Im going with the 3052 :thumb: . I was origionally set on the 3076 but when I looked at it, the 3052 was more of what I wanted. I was leaning in its direction when I started this thread but just wanted peoples input. I have since made up my mind & just replying to as why I'm going the 3052 route :thumb:

If you are deciding to go FP, I would urge you to go FP3065 instead due to the similar spool (maybe a couple of hundred rpms later) and a better power potential. Besides, it'll take you longer to need an upgrade.

Are you going to buy a v-band flange and have a one-piece downpipe made, or are you going to buy their o2 housing?

Well my RRE downpipe is in mint shape so I see no need to replace it, so I'll be going with their vband O2 housing. I think the 3065 is too much turbo for me, the 3052 will be more then enough to meet my goals. At the kind of boost I will be running the 3065 more then likely won't make much extra power & I would think it will add about 500 rpms in spool. Honestly I see no sense in that for what Im trying to do.

Being that you have a GS-T this may help you. Thrust me about the upgrade factor. Get the 3065 for the extra $100 or something, it's worth it. I wished that I had done it from the start too.

I decided to go with a 3052 instead of the 3065. I ran it one season. It worked ok, but 3065 would have been way better. My buddy has a 3065 and he would smoke me on pump gas and annihilate me on race gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back