The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

FP3052 vs pte 50 trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsuclipsegsx

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2004
Dover plains, New_York
I was wondering the difference between the fp3052 vs pte bb 50trim. I have the pte now and want to upgrade, i was gonna go with the fp3065 but not sure if i want to put a stroker in, so will i get a lot more power from the fp3052 compared to my pte 50trim, or not really?

Thanks

+1

Im in the same exact boat as you, bro. I was gonna make a thread just like this, but you beat me to it. I hear that the 3065 is worth the extra 100 bucks, expecially if you're gonna go with a stroker set up. Im leaning towards the 3052 since Ill be on the stock 2.0 and wont be going for "balls to the wall" horsepower, atleast not yet. The 3052 will get me where I want to go for now, and allow much more room to grow. I was really into the DBB 5031 from PTE but I can't pass up FPs quality...I mean, just their custom exhaust housings and the way the wastegate is set up makes me want to cream myself. I say if youre already coming from a 50 trim, to go with the 3065, but it all depends on your goals.

Oh ya, btw

Here's a pic of my RMDSM lip since you wanted to see what it looks like since we have the same car LOL. Ill post up some more pics later.

Attachments

• l_8b62c59712b06d08e42e22ce85dbb652.jpg
    l_8b62c59712b06d08e42e22ce85dbb652.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,331
The 3052 (GT3076R) is moderately bigger than the T04E 50 trim (54mm wheel). You won't see a huge difference, but it does seem to have slightly higher choke airflow. If you're happy with the 50 trim's performance and just want a little more, then this turbo would work great. If you really want more power though, look into the 3065 (GT3082R), PTE6152/6169/6176, or one of the Borg Warners (S256/258) if not larger.

If you are planning on a stroker why not go a little bigger. Strokers are built and can take the power so I would go with a gt35r. It would love to spool on the stroker.

+1

Im in the same exact boat as you, bro. I was gonna make a thread just like this, but you beat me to it. I hear that the 3065 is worth the extra 100 bucks, expecially if you're gonna go with a stroker set up. Im leaning towards the 3052 since Ill be on the stock 2.0 and wont be going for "balls to the wall" horsepower, atleast not yet. The 3052 will get me where I want to go for now, and allow much more room to grow. I was really into the DBB 5031 from PTE but I can't pass up FPs quality...I mean, just their custom exhaust housings and the way the wastegate is set up makes me want to cream myself. I say if youre already coming from a 50 trim, to go with the 3065, but it all depends on your goals.

Oh ya, btw

Here's a pic of my RMDSM lip since you wanted to see what it looks like since we have the same car LOL. Ill post up some more pics later.

Lip looks sick, i am deff getting one.
Maybe i will go with 3065 and stroker hopefully it will spool by 4k

Lip looks sick, i am deff getting one.
Maybe i will go with 3065 and stroker hopefully it will spool by 4k

Thanks bro! Slight warning tho....if your car is lowered already, your front bumper clearance will be basically down to nothing. Bye-bye to speed bumps...I cant even get into my girlfriends neighborhood since she has speed bumps LOL. Its worth it tho....looks verry aggressive, and its functional (200lbs of downforce at 120mph).

The 3052 is rated at abit higher lb/min vs the 50 trim (52 vs 45-47 lb/min), so you have some additional airflow potential but the area where you see better performance is in the turbine housing. If your running a T3 .63 AR turbine housing then you power potential will be fairly similar between the two (not sure how much guys have laid down with a T3 50 trim, but have seen 520-550 awhp number from the 3052) but if your going with the standard Mitsu style bolt on (such as the PTE), then you will see bigger gains as the FP housing is a much better flowing design vs the "stock" style.

What are your goals as far as spool, power & boost you want to run? If your usually running in the 25 psi or less range, then I'd go 3052. If you plan to run 25+ psi regularly, then I'd go for the 3065, even on a 2.0L & live with the bit extra lag (probably around 400-500 rpms more). With the 3065 on a stroker your probably looking right around the 4000 mark for full spool (depending on supporting mods & what full boost is). On a 2.0L, most are seeing full spool from the 3065 in the 4500-4900 range. The 3052 will put you in the lower 4000 range on 2.0L.

You should look into PTE's SCM 6152. Although there is more lag the power capability is great. I have not had any problems what so ever with my 6152 this year other than the vender I got it from did not fully weld the wastegate flaper shut. Boost's great, less expensive, lots of power.

The 3052 is rated at abit higher lb/min vs the 50 trim (52 vs 45-47 lb/min), so you have some additional airflow potential but the area where you see better performance is in the turbine housing. If your running a T3 .63 AR turbine housing then you power potential will be fairly similar between the two (not sure how much guys have laid down with a T3 50 trim, but have seen 520-550 awhp number from the 3052) but if your going with the standard Mitsu style bolt on (such as the PTE), then you will see bigger gains as the FP housing is a much better flowing design vs the "stock" style.

What are your goals as far as spool, power & boost you want to run? If your usually running in the 25 psi or less range, then I'd go 3052. If you plan to run 25+ psi regularly, then I'd go for the 3065, even on a 2.0L & live with the bit extra lag (probably around 400-500 rpms more). With the 3065 on a stroker your probably looking right around the 4000 mark for full spool (depending on supporting mods & what full boost is). On a 2.0L, most are seeing full spool from the 3065 in the 4500-4900 range. The 3052 will put you in the lower 4000 range on 2.0L.

MY goals are: full boost at 4k, dont really have a hp #,looking into low 11's,25psi+. So maybe ill go with the 3065 with a stoker.

The 3065 would do you great on 2.0 litres or 2.3. Just remember you can whined a 2.0 much higher that a 2.3. With only a 500rpm difference I would personly ditch the 2.3 option and stick with the 2.0.

MY goals are: full boost at 4k, dont really have a hp #,looking into low 11's,25psi+. So maybe ill go with the 3065 with a stoker.

If you are only looking for a low 11 second car, then yes...the 3052 is your turbo. But trust me...you'll kick yourself in the long run, like I am now. The extra 300rpm or so of lag from the 3065 is well worth it for the extra top end. Plus with the 2.0...you'll be able to rev that thing up to 9k if you want, leaving you plenty of powerband.

Is it true, its harder to tune a stroker?

Depends.. Some people feel that a stroker is a less forgiving engine than a loose low compression high revving 2.0L. But does that mean it's harder to tune? Not necessarily.

BTW, I hit 20psi by 3800 on my 3052. It's a nice turbo, very responsive.

The 3065 would do you great on 2.0 litres or 2.3. Just remember you can whined a 2.0 much higher that a 2.3. With only a 500rpm difference I would personly ditch the 2.3 option and stick with the 2.0.

A stroker is way better for the street, you may only gain a little spool time but the extra torque in the lower rpm range is way worth it. 2.0 high rev is good for the track.

Will a 3052 spool quicker or slower then a pte bb 50 trim. I know the 3052 pushes more air so longer to spool but seems like its a better design(exhaust housing)

thanks

Will a 3052 spool quicker or slower then a pte bb 50 trim. I know the 3052 pushes more air so longer to spool but seems like its a better design(exhaust housing)

thanks

Id say with FPs bigger exhaust side, the 3052 spools a bit slower, but will net higher gains up top, where it matters. I havent had a 50 trim, but its smaller than the 3052, expecially with the Mitsu turbine housing. I see 19psi on my 3052 at just a hair over 4000rpm. But again, it all depends on your set up, each car is different.

Turning it up soon to ~25psi with some 272s to go with it....Im thinking Ill be happy for a while. Stock 7 bolt with ARP headstuds and MLS headgasket.

I just thought that I would add that I was seeing 25psi on my pte ddb 50 trim somewhere between 3800 and 4000rpm. That was on a ported stock exhaust manifold, stock intake manifold, and 272s. So it doesnt look like there is a big difference in spool times between the pte5032 and the fp3052. I plan on upgrading as well in the near future, but I really think the pte5032 is a very underestimated turbo. I think it could be a consistant low 11s turbo with the right supporting mods... it just has to work a little harder LOL.

I think in general the 3052 will add a few hundred or so rpms spool vs a "50 trim". Personally I see 20psi right at the 4000 mark with my 3052 & full boost of 24-25psi would come in a couple hundred rpms later (though haven't looked specifically for an exact number)

I think in general the 3052 will add a few hundred or so rpms spool vs a "50 trim". Personally I see 20psi right at the 4000 mark with my 3052 & full boost of 24-25psi would come in a couple hundred rpms later (though haven't looked specifically for an exact number)

Yea, IM still trying to decide if I want the 3052 or the 3065, ive been reading all the threads but cant decide yet. I want full boost by 4k, and i run pump, 24psi.. probably the 3052 but i know my stoker can handle the 3065 so i still dont know:mad:

Yea, IM still trying to decide if I want the 3052 or the 3065, ive been reading all the threads but cant decide yet. I want full boost by 4k, and i run pump, 24psi.. probably the 3052 but i know my stoker can handle the 3065 so i still dont know:mad:

Here are my thoughts:

Stock bottom end (expecially a 7 bolt)= 3052

Built bottom end (expecially a stroker)= 3065, of not a FP 35r varient.

Go big:thumb:

Stroker? Without a doubt, go for the 3065. It will spool like the 3052 on a 2.0L & have a nice bump in topend when running 25+ psi.

If I was buying a new turbo, especially on a stroker I would be looking at the FP3565HTA. Its abit more then their other FP30 series but with that HTA compressor wheel, from what I've seen it basically spools like a 3065 with even more mid & top end power :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back