The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

removing bottom pully wheel connecting to crankshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonf90

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
davenport, Iowa
i need some help removing the bottom pully so i can get my timing belt cover off.
my issue is the engine is still in the car and when i attempt to get the wheel off theres not enough room so the wheel hits against the frame before it clears the center shaft

EDIT: i got it off

you need to take the timing side engine mount off and then lower the engine down slowly then it will come off very easy, make sure you put a thick towel between the jack and oil pan to stop it from getting damaged

For future reference of anyone who finds this thread, the crank pulley is difficult to remove without removing the center bolt. If you only remove the 4 bolts holding it to the crank gear, you will have to fight to get the pulley around the center bolt. Easy if you've done it 100 times, difficult if you haven't.

For future reference of anyone who finds this thread, the crank pulley is difficult to remove without removing the center bolt. If you only remove the 4 bolts holding it to the crank gear, you will have to fight to get the pulley around the center bolt. Easy if you've done it 100 times, difficult if you haven't.

I remember the first time I took mine off, it was rust welded. Ended up using a rubber mallet and a torch. Just gotta be careful not to crack it. Also dont use a towel when lifting the engine with a jack on the oil pan. Look around for a nice piece of wood to even distribute the weight. Could always use a piece of wood wrapped around a towel LOL.

LOL ... I just got a long spanner wrench with the right socket on it. put the handle on the spanner wrench laying next to the axle. Took out the MPI fuse and bumped the starter. Broke that bolt loose in a quick doing this.

NOW, to torque the bold back down: Luckily, I have the inner of an old HD that I wrap a chain wrench around it. Bolt that inner back on the crank sprocket with all four small bolts, wrap that chain wrench around that inner, get it super tight, and play tug-of-war with that wrench and your torque wrench to tighten that bolt back on within torque specs.

NOW, to torque the bold back down: Luckily, I have the inner of an old HD that I wrap a chain wrench around it. Bolt that inner back on the crank sprocket with all four small bolts, wrap that chain wrench around that inner, get it super tight, and play tug-of-war with that wrench and your torque wrench to tighten that bolt back on within torque specs.

There is an easier way. Once the car is on the ground put it in gear. Crawl under and tighten the bolt. You may have to turn the steering wheel to the left some but that's it. Motor can't turn becuase it's in gear and trying to move the whole car with the parking brake on.This does NOT work for removing the bolt because you'll be spinning the motor counter clockwise. It might work if you're planning on doing a timing belt right then and there but I wouldn't do it other wise. Clockwise is fine as that's the way the motor is trying to turn anyway so nothing under the cover can get messed up.

The best way to torque it is to jam a crow bar in the fly wheel teeth and slowly torque it thats how I did mine and I did not damage anything

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back