1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Question about my 16G setup

Posted by blujeans, Jul 19, 2019

Tags:
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. blujeans

blujeans Probationary Member

Joined Dec 15, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    So, I recently got a big 16G to upgrade from my 13G and I got it installed it in my car. However I'm wondering if it'll be safe with my setup, which is as follows:

- Manual ECU
    - Manual 450CC injectors with automatic FPR, so adjusted for fuel pressure I believe they are making about ~470CC
    - K&N replacement air filter
    - stock fuel pump

Should I be safe to put oil and coolant back in the engine and drive it, or should I hold off and get a new fuel pump and/or an ECU with ECMlink or something like that?

Street Build 373  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  2. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Proven Member

Joined Jan 16, 2008
    Wisconsin, Wisconsin
    I drove for about a year on a similar setup, I think I had an exhaust,and a pump rewire. I was getting boost creep, so I'm pretty sure I had an exhaust.
    You'll be fine, maybe run a tad rich. But I never had any issues on stock boost level with the stock pump.
    You could run the manual fpr for now, but like I said I didnt see any issues. I dont really go full or 75% send a whole lot tho either.
    A fuel pump rewire for might be all you need while your saving up for a 190 pump and ecmlink.

4K  14  14

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.300 @ 102.400 · 1G DSM
  3. blujeans

blujeans Probationary Member

Joined Dec 15, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I see. What would benefits would a fuel pump rewire have? I'm not too familiar with it

Street Build 373  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  4. Sluezy

Sluezy Probationary Member

Joined Nov 15, 2018
    Spring valley, California
    Look up the fuel pump rewire, it’s basically running straight battery voltage through a relay to your fuel pump. Usually because it has to run through all the wires and stuff your only getting like 11 volts but with that you get 13 volts. And I’m sure your setup will be fine. I ran a 2.3l stroker on 15 psi with the stock ecu and injectors. I never had an issue and I ran it hard.

5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    You'll be fine putting the new turbo in. I wouldn't expect it to be fast or anything nor would I push it. The stock fuel pump and maf run out pretty quickly. You start getting fuel cut (really an airflow issue with the stock maf) and the pump runs out of flow. If you just want to put around town you'll be fine.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. tealgsx

tealgsx Probationary Member

Joined Jan 28, 2009
    Lincoln, Maine
    You would probably be fine but I would highly recommend getting ecmlink or a good tuning solution then you can data log and make all kinds of changes. Tuning should always be the first mod as far as I'm concerned.

352  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Put a 2g maf on it and a set of 560 Evo injectors and go have fun! :thumb:

293  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 409  4