The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Question about my 16G setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blujeans

Proven Member
Dec 15, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
So, I recently got a big 16G to upgrade from my 13G and I got it installed it in my car. However I'm wondering if it'll be safe with my setup, which is as follows:

- Manual ECU
- Manual 450CC injectors with automatic FPR, so adjusted for fuel pressure I believe they are making about ~470CC
- K&N replacement air filter
- stock fuel pump

Should I be safe to put oil and coolant back in the engine and drive it, or should I hold off and get a new fuel pump and/or an ECU with ECMlink or something like that?

I drove for about a year on a similar setup, I think I had an exhaust,and a pump rewire. I was getting boost creep, so I'm pretty sure I had an exhaust.
You'll be fine, maybe run a tad rich. But I never had any issues on stock boost level with the stock pump.
You could run the manual fpr for now, but like I said I didnt see any issues. I dont really go full or 75% send a whole lot tho either.
A fuel pump rewire for might be all you need while your saving up for a 190 pump and ecmlink.

I drove for about a year on a similar setup, I think I had an exhaust,and a pump rewire. I was getting boost creep, so I'm pretty sure I had an exhaust.
You'll be fine, maybe run a tad rich. But I never had any issues on stock boost level with the stock pump.
You could run the manual fpr for now, but like I said I didnt see any issues. I dont really go full or 75% send a whole lot tho either.
A fuel pump rewire for might be all you need while your saving up for a 190 pump and ecmlink.
I see. What would benefits would a fuel pump rewire have? I'm not too familiar with it

Look up the fuel pump rewire, it’s basically running straight battery voltage through a relay to your fuel pump. Usually because it has to run through all the wires and stuff your only getting like 11 volts but with that you get 13 volts. And I’m sure your setup will be fine. I ran a 2.3l stroker on 15 psi with the stock ecu and injectors. I never had an issue and I ran it hard.

You'll be fine putting the new turbo in. I wouldn't expect it to be fast or anything nor would I push it. The stock fuel pump and maf run out pretty quickly. You start getting fuel cut (really an airflow issue with the stock maf) and the pump runs out of flow. If you just want to put around town you'll be fine.

You would probably be fine but I would highly recommend getting ecmlink or a good tuning solution then you can data log and make all kinds of changes. Tuning should always be the first mod as far as I'm concerned.

Put a 2g maf on it and a set of 560 Evo injectors and go have fun! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back