The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Punishment FMIC core mounting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afizzle

Proven Member
Jan 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
The 2g FMIC kit came with no instructions or directions on how to install.

It came with 2 sets of two types of mounting rails, 4 bolts, 4 washers and spacers.

And I have no clue where to mount any of it :(

YouTube tuners, talk, source... NOONE has a decent write up specifically for where the core mounts.

Can someone get me a diagram please?! <3

:dsm:

Not familiar with this model maybe you could contact them direct. Also not trying to Hijack either but when you put in a FMIC it must also be ducted to channel air through the condenser and radiator to prevent running hot or over heating FYI.

I found that guide already but it doesn't show exactly where the bolts are going through. I got the bumper bar part but don't get where the bolts are to run though :(

Sorry guys not extremely inclined with this kind of mod

Two blots that connect the intercooler to the long support bracket then two bolts that connect bracket to the bumper bracket that holds the crash been. Your over thinking it man. If you don't already have it tore apart then you'll see when you start putting it on

So the crash bar stays on the car and I mount the rail to the extra holes in the crash bar or take the crash bar off the beams and bolt it to the beams? If that's the case, how does my bumper cover securely mount back to the car?

The kit also comes with two sets of two different mounting plates, where do those go?

Why did this kit not come with instructions?!

Some people mod the crash beam so they can keep it and some remove it. If you remove the beam the bumper will still bolt on no problems. Here's a video on how to mod the crash beam

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Zg92bXaJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player]P.R. FMIC install and bumper guide - YouTube[/ame]

Because it's just a straight forward install LOL

IT MIGHT NOT use everything that comes in the kit... DISREGARD the two brackets. let me break it down.

All you need is the bar.
Maybe a washer to the screw and bung into then tighten it down.
You wont need the crash beam no more unless you customize it.

I think you are over thinking to much and making it harder then it seems.

Like others are saying, I bolted mine through the bolt holes for the crash beam. You can leave beam on, you'll just have to do a bit of cutting and drilling. The bumper cover mounts to the fenders and hood latch support so you won't have any problems keeping it attached.

Yeah I was over thinking it hahaha

Thanks for the help. As for the duct idea... It's a solid idea, but there's been over 5 dsms in my family with much bigger demand than mine and big FMIC with no ducts and no overheating problems.

So now to the trimming. Anyone know how much needs to be trimmed from each surface or should I just start hacking?

4" grinder got mine so I am purely just giving you a hard time. Hope you heal up well, I would think to be a dsm it has to have some blood on it. LOL

Ive been there. Went the ER and got stiches then came home and went back to work.

That's the plan. Only reason I had a razor was to clean up where I trimmed but I see where bein meticulous has gotten me. Oh well core is mounted up and bumper ready to go on. 9 10mm bolts and I'm boostin.

4" grinder got mine so I am purely just giving you a hard time. Hope you heal up well, I would think to be a dsm it has to have some blood on it. LOL

Yes quite literally. Gushed blood all into the inside of the bumper cover. Said it aloud right as it happened, "Yay time to go get some stitches!"

>.< oh well, doesn't hurt, just annoying. Right on the knuckle too.. Siiiigh, was having such a good day. Atleast these hydrocodone are nice :)

And your in Texas this must be ducted to prevent running hot I say again!

--- FMIC Ducting - DSM Forums

Stumbled in here and found something I've been looking for ^! Thanks for the link. I've been tossing around similar ideas.

To the OP, sorry not much to contribute but the install should be pretty straight forward. Nothing is truly ever bolt on with these cars. You typically gotta modify something. GL

Finally got it all on and trimmed to perfection. it was the mounting brackets the kit came with that threw me off i was under the impression everything would be used. the core also had two more bolt holes on the lower back that i thought were supposed to be used.

anyways got it on and ended up getting the bumper trimmed up and boy was it a hack job. i had no idea it would require that much cutting and it kinda made me sad cause my bumper was so nice and pretty ;'( it looks good though, cant even tell it was cut unless you get down and really look but im gonna clean it up tomorrow and sand t all down really even.

tomorrow gonna relocate or remove the license plate and i am gonna keep the tooth on. its more original imo cause everyone cuts theirs off and it ends up looking all flimsy and cheap.

soooo yeah, success, oh and theres the pic of my finger all hacked up. didnt stop me though, bolted back home and trimmed the bumper down and installed it no problem! :thumb:

Stumbled in here and found something I've been looking for ^! Thanks for the link. I've been tossing around similar ideas.

To the OP, sorry not much to contribute but the install should be pretty straight forward. Nothing is truly ever bolt on with these cars. You typically gotta modify something. GL

I wouldnt bother with the ducts thing bro. I did several pulls tonight to check for any over heating because ^guy said something about it. No overheating, car ran perfectly fine. My two brothers own DSMs one with a big 2.3 stroker motor and 20g with this same kit and hes never had an overheating problem in any situation

Attachments

• IMG_9048.jpg
    IMG_9048.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 55
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back