The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G PTT Twin Disc Clutch Master Info Thread (6-bolt AWD)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Hey all,

I am currently in the process of my Omega build, and when it comes to the PTT Twin Disc clutch I got, its muddy waters for me. So I am collecting all the useful information here (much of it is circa 2006-2013, so expect outdated and mostly wrong information from those who never bothered to contact PTT for help), including a Q/A I had with Steve (President of PTT), who was kind enough to answer some of my questions and then some. I decided to put all the information I found here so it can be found by anyone else wanting to use a PTT Twin Disc in the future.

A TON of misinformation is out there regarding PTT and their Twin Disc Clutches just bashing their product, and all because an end user heard from a friends-friend or followed what opossumlover69420 posted on DSMtalk in 2007 based on an incorrect installation using their backwoods mechanic skills.

This is not a brand comparison thread.

-------------------------------

This is my email to/from Steve on 04/24/2022:

Subject: Installation Questions (91 Eclipse 6-bolt AWD)

Hi, I recently purchased a PTT Twin Disc/ Flywheel from ExtremePSI, and at the moment I am having a local shop assemble my motor, but its going to be a while before I get it all back.

I have been searching high and low for any in-depth how-to articles pertaining to the PTT Twin Disc Clutch installation besides what was included with the clutch itself. I have the information I need in regards to the Isuzu Trooper slave cylinder and the modifications that need to be done to it in order for it to fit and operate properly. That's all pretty straightforward.

What I am hung up on right now is the use of a clutch pedal stop; some say it's necessary, while others advise against it. I found one post that references a Steve at PTT that supposedly said, quoted from their post:

"Yes I did have a pedal stop in there but Steve @ PTT told me to take it out and extend the clutch as far down as it will go and since they use a regressive spring it gets hard then soft then it would get hard again and that is there built in clutch stop so the fingers aren't over extended. He told me I should push down until the built in stop and the clutch should be fully disengaged. I did that and it was disengaging properly but the pedal assembly was way past the "auto adjust" to get it to go to the stop. I can't get the clutch to fully disengage without being past what is acceptable. I did think I was over extending the fingers until I talked to the owner of PTT." Original thread/post found here

Here is a how-to posting regarding the custom pedal stop.

Any information you can provide for me to make this installation go as smoothly as possible would be great.

Signed,
Alex

-------------------

(NOTE: I bolded/colored key points IMO are critical)

Subject:
RE: Installation Questions (91 Eclipse 6-bolt AWD)

Alex,

Like a lot of info posted to the interweb, some of the info you have is correct, and some of it is mis-interpreted, and wrong.

Proper clutch release is all about having the proper motion ratio between the clutch pedal, and the release bearing pushing the diaphragm spring fingers of the clutch. The following points should always be adhered to:

1. The quote you sent from the post you found is a little wrong. Someone was trying to incorrectly quote me form memory, or they simply did not fully understand my original explanation.

2. You always want to be able to depress the clutch pedal fully. Use the full pedal stroke to your advantage. More leverage is GOOD.

3. The motion ratio should be: One full stroke of the pedal = 3/8” (10mm) movement of the release bearing.

4. Stock clutch release bearing ratios are usually approximately: One full stroke = ¾” (19mm) movement of the release bearing. This is because stock style, large diameter clutches use that much movement of the spring fingers to fully release.

5. PTT clutches are high performance, small diameter, multi-disc RACING clutches. As a result, they are engineered to have a very short spring travel for full release (disengagement).

6. When installing a PTT clutch in a car with a stock clutch release mechanism, you must alter the motion ratio. If you do not, you will over-travel the PTT clutch (potentially most likely damaging it), the pedal force will be quite high (potentially damaging the thrust bearing in the engine), and the clutch will feel like an ON/OFF switch, resulting in a very difficult driving experience. (You will NOT be happy with the driving experience)

7. The Isuzu Trooper slave cylinder was developed as a low-cost way to change the motion ratio of the early Mitsu clutch release mechanism. It works, BUT, because this is a racing clutch, you should always check the installation for proper clutch release, without over-travel. Something we found difficult to get across to all end users.

8. You should always have the factory specified amount of pedal free-play (1/2” (12mm)), at the top of the pedal stroke. Some end users were too lazy to get the proper slave cylinder, and PTT bearing, and adjusted the master cylinder pedal clevis to have 3-4” of pedal free play instead. Do not do this. It is difficult (unsafe) to drive.

9. Upon installation (of a PTT clutch, release bearing, and Trooper slave cylinder), you must check for clutch over-travel. IF your particular installation results in over-travel (all installations are slightly different) you must install a pedal stop on the floor of the car to prevent clutch damage.

10. You must run the PTT supplied release bearing with the Trooper slave cylinder. This will result in a smooth, more linear clutch release. If you run the Mitsu release bearing, it will result in high pedal force, and increased force on the engine thrust bearing (potentially damaging the engine).

11. PTT racing clutches (like ALL diaphragm spring equipped clutches) use a regressive rate diaphragm spring. When the clutch pedal is fully depressed (at the floor) the pedal effort is reduced from the amount of effort it took to push the pedal to the floor. Halfway to the floor the pedal force peaks. All the way to the floor, there is a substantial force reduction. (OEMs do this to make it easy to hold the clutch pedal to the floor while sitting at a stop light.)

12. If you push the clutch pedal to the floor with your arm (which is much more sensitive) instead of your leg, you will feel this force difference as you stroke the clutch pedal from fully engaged (up) to fully disengaged (at the floor). Yes, there is a travel limiting stop built into every PTT clutch cover. IF you do not have the motion ratio correct, you can feel the pedal force go back up again a second time as the clutch pedal nears the floor (checking with your ARM). You must install a pedal stop (or lower the clutch release mechanism motion ratio) to prevent the release bearing from going so far that you hit the internal stop built into the clutch cover. If you can feel the pedal force go up a second time as the clutch pedal nears the floor, STOP, and correct the problem. You risk damaging the clutch if you over-travel it so much that you hit the internal stop.

13. One way to check for complete clutch release: Engine Off. Car on jack stands. Put the car in gear. Have a buddy try and rotate the driveshaft, as you sloooooowwwwwlllly push the clutch pedal. Clutch release occurs when your buddy can rotate the driveshaft. If release occurs too early in the pedal stroke (near the top of the stroke), you need more motion ratio. If the clutch release occurs too late in the pedal stroke (near the floor) you need less pedal ratio.

14. There are other variables involved in the design and proper adjustment of external slave cylinder clutch release mechanisms (such as pushrod length, proper fork geometry, ball stud height, etc., which I will not get into here). For your installation, all of those stock components will work just fine. IF a previous car owner has replaced or modified any of those components………

15. ALL of the above info pertains to a clutch in brand new condition, being properly installed for the first time. Used clutches have other difficulties I do not have the time to get into.

16. THE most common tech question we answer, here at PTT, is: Why won’t my clutch release? OR Why is my car so difficult to drive (because the clutch release mechanism is like an ON/OFF switch? It is almost never the clutch at fault. It almost always (99% of the time) is a mis-matched component, or incorrect adjustment in the clutch release mechanism, resulting in an incorrect motion ratio.

It sounds to me like you are properly gathering (from me, at least) all the info you need for a seamless clutch installation, and you have a pretty good handle on what you are doing. Do not over-think it. Gather good advice from known, reputable sources. All reputable manufacturers have an engineer or tech person on staff, who will answer questions. Be very suspect and afraid of answers gained from the internet, especially forums… Good luck. We are always here if you have questions.

Regards,

Steven Fox
President
POWERTRAIN TECHNOLOGY, Inc.
---------------------------

I myself will be posting more when I have more information to share.

I want to keep this thread free of any "I think", "I heard", "I read somewhere" comments, without anything to back them up.

If you have had a successful first-hand installation without issue with the PTT Twin Disc specifically, please post any information you wish to share to make this an easier installation for future users.

Useful Links

Pedal Stop DIY
Info and Review
PTT FAQ
PTT Resources

Pedal Stop DIY Photos
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Isuzu Trooper Slave Fitment Modifications

Last edited:
This is the way I did the pedal stop. I drilled a hole through the pedal arm (HUGE PITA! I'm 6' and this is what i did: stuffed myself on my stomach, used a sprung center punch to make the mark, then a dremel to deepen the divot, and then finished it off with the power drill) and threaded a bolt through. I found an alternator tensioner adjuster for a Subaru and grabbed some bolts from the local hardware store. I ended up tapping the large hole with a 10mmx1.5 tap since it had no threads to allow for the height stopper bolt.

PTT calls for part number CS12247 as the slave cylinder.

Last edited:
I need to measure my pedal stroke when I get the trans back in the car, but without a pedal stop, I didn't see any strange wear on mine (admittedly, only ~700 miles). I have been running the 2g FWD slave and the 2g accumulator. I believe the 2g FWD is virtually the same as the Isuzu, but I want to say there's a difference with the bleeder that makes it easier to use? Admittedly, I installed this in 2012 or 2013, drove the car very little (but very hard) for 5 years, and then took it apart for now almost 5 years 🤦‍♂️

I think the 2g accumulator makes the twin way more fun to drive (having driven with & without). The actuation is damped just enough to make it like driving a nice light single plate. Can't recommend it enough as a mod.

Great thread!

I might try some of this stuff to get my QM twin to behave better. I've done everything, to include adding a 2G accumulator. It basically did nothing.

Trying to copy the holes drilled in the listed pictures above didn't work for me for whatever reason, the CS12247 is the one to use, but I had to drill 2 holes to get it to mount properly. This was done on a 1g AWD so I'm not sure if that's why, maybe that slave cylinder is slightly different: no clue.

I was able to tap the new top hole with an 8mmx1.25 tap for a stud that I can use a nut with to attach it to the bell housing, the lower expanded hole had to be merged so no threads for that one.

The spacing is 49mm center to center.

@fourgsixty3 measured his 2g slave and came up with roughly 49.5mm. I don't have a 2g transmission so I don't know how that fits with only one extra hole drilled.

The lengths of the rods are almost the same:
Trooper: 86.3mm
OEM: 85.1mm

I didn't swap mine out, but I did put it in a drill and took it to the bench grinder to match the rounded end the OEM one has.

Tools used in this entire operation include:
Dremel
4in metal cutoff wheel
Sprung center punch
Sharpies of course
Digital calipers
Bench mounted grinding wheel
Power drill
Good drill bits
8mmx1.25 tap

Last edited:
I am so sorry to read this thread. I have to be the luckiest guy. I did everything that @twicks69 told me and used every part he sold me and (let's ALL KNOCK ON WOOD) and it was noisy on the very first start up and that was it. Mine is a QM 8 Leg twin. There isn't much room between disengaged and engaged but that is what mine was all about and now that I've driven it a few miles (maybe 50 or so), it's just another clutch. I guess I'm no help and I even home rebuilt my STOCK slave after the plunger popped out. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. I can answer any questions about my install and such but it was just a normal aftermarket install on my 90 Talon.
My slave rod is like the one on the right in @greekgodchaos picture of 3. It is the stock rod also.

This is my first twin disk clutch and I am having zero issues with mine on stock components except for the CC Throwout fork.
I guess I'm just sorry some are having issues and I am not. :pray: :)

So it seems there is no free lunch, you either drive a nice quiet heavy single with smooth engagement but doesn’t shift well at high rpm, or you drive a noisy, harsh engaging twin that sucks in stop and go but actually goes into gear at 8500 rpm?

Yeah it is easy to kill the car if you aren't used to driving it but I never killed it last night during a drive thru town, lurking........:cool:
What did it do after that Brett???

So it seems there is no free lunch, you either drive a nice quiet heavy single with smooth engagement but doesn’t shift well at high rpm, or you drive a noisy, harsh engaging twin that sucks in stop and go but actually goes into gear at 8500 rpm?
Unsprung discs shift better at higher rpm than discs with springs

That is true. Mine shifts like butter at 8800. I haven't moved up in rpms yet but I'm sure she'll shift fine at 9200.

I might try some of this stuff to get my QM twin to behave better. I've done everything, to include adding a 2G accumulator. It basically did nothing.

I'd sure be interested in knowing what is going wrong with your QM behavior! I don't see anything in your build thread about it.

This is my first twin disk clutch and I am having zero issues with mine on stock components except for the CC Throwout fork.

This goes for me too, with the QM 8-leg "street" setup twin disk clutch and flywheel. New stock OEM 1g 5/8" bore master and new stock OEM 1g 3/4" bore slave and rod, Competition Clutch fork. I think the only difference between Marty's setup and mine is that my clutch has the Blue spring instead of the White spring (Blue spring is lighter) and my master rod clevis has a nut welded onto it for about 3 more turns available to the master rod.

When I asked Lucas English if he was going to install a pedal stop, he said no, the 1g slave travel is so small that your car won't need it. We can fine tune the pedal position by adding a little bit to the Pedal Free Play (at the top of the stroke) so as to not over-extend the clutch spring, if necessary.
When they were done with the install, sure enough, with the pedal adjusted to where they thought it was "optimum", I checked the pedal free play and it was 1/2 inch. (When I gave them the car to do the install I had 1/8 inch pedal free play.) So they added only 3/8" to what I already had! Anyway, half inch pedal free play to make it come out right. That gave me a good range of pedal movement available between disengage point and the floor, without over-extending anything in the clutch. Lucas did tell me to not decrease the pedal free play from where they put it because it might get things too close to whatever bad happens when you push the clutch fingers too far.

Have to say that Steven Fox's point #4 above that says "Stock clutch release bearing ratios are usually approximately: One full stroke = ¾” (19mm) movement of the release bearing" -- This is way off for our cars!

Our clutch fork has a lever ratio of about 1.8
See this thread: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/clutch-pedal-ratio.543314/#post-153881843
The 1g slave stroke, actual for most of us with stiff clutches, is only about 5/8" or even a little less. You could get slightly more than that if the clutch spring is lighter, because then there will be less motion lost from deflection in the pedal assembly.
If your slave stroke is 5/8" (0.625") then the TO bearing will get 0.625/1.8 = 0.347" of stroke.
If your slave stroke is 3/4" (0.75") then the TO bearing will get 0.75/1.8 = 0.417" of stroke.
Gee, those numbers are right in there with Steven's recommended 3/8" in his point #3 above!

Sorry I don't know anything about the Isuzu Trooper slave cylinder and I've never looked into the PTT clutch either or their throwout bearing. I'm just skeptical that you would need a pedal stop on a 1g. Could be different on a 2g because they don't have as much motion lost due to deflection under load as our hinky jinky 1g pedal assembly has.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much deflection the 1g pedal has once the arm is welded to be honest- and frankly if you're at the point you're putting a twin in your car, the assembly should be squared away

Ive had steve on the phone a few times. He's a circle track guy, and has no clue about clutches for drag racing. The PTT stuff will ruin your input shaft, as will the non gear drive QM discs. Steve a knowledges this, and blames it on "the tune" It's not the tune, it's the 7lb flywheel on a 100+hp hole 4 banger with hammer like power pulses that beat the shit out of the stuff. Put some mass in the flywheel and everything is better.

None of these twins are worth a shit for drag racing. The friction material is too inconsistent, and it glazes meaning when it's new the clutch holds 900+ftlbs, once it's been good and hot and beat up it holds 700. And it has a very bad static to dynamic friction ratio - meaning it doesn't slide it grabs.

For you guys street driving it's nbd - they will just beat the trans up faster. Drag racing good luck. Best thing I have found is run a 4 spider and a front lsd and let the front tires do the slipping, and hope it doesn't break.

The best setup I have run was a spec sintered iron disc and an act2600 pressure plate. The sintered iron slides not grabs. It was like the car was on autopilot, it went very low 6's on a dusty tar and chip no prep with that setup basically just dumping the clutch. The friction is mellow so there are minimal torque spikes. BUT for some reason they do not last in my car. It think it's the large diameter and brutal 10k shifts.

The ACT twins however are sintered iron and I think work a lot better. I want to try a set, but they don't have them for dogbox spline.

The best setup I have run was a spec sintered iron disc and an act2600 pressure plate.
Still waiting for you to do an in-depth writeup we talked about (in another thread I think) regarding the pedal mods you did to get it to shift at high RPM. I loved my ACT setup, but it just wouldn't shift for shit up high in the r's.

I know you figured out a good recipe, but from what I remember, it was a pretty involved modification.

The twin I have Brett is stiff but I am used to muscle car clutches so it's just a different feel. Not a lot of room between engaged and disengaged but I street drive her and don't embarrass myself. For now, it's not noisy and as far as drag racing, mine grips like glue but shifts like butter at 8800. I know mine is new but that is the report so far.
If something changes, I'll update the news. Just my own experience so far. I haven't got to the track with this setup yet since its fresh and we all have lives also.

I think my Quartermaster twin disc makes the decel noise that Tim Zimmer has mentioned a few times in here.
It could be driveshaft, but I never had this noise with the single disc ACT clutches.
Any new noise scares the crap outa me and this does that. I've only ever had this noise when I am at revs over 5,000 in 2nd gear and then I let off on the gas completely. I would have this happen a lot when driving on the curvy roads around here, except that I've taken to using 3rd gear more which is not as much fun at these lower speeds. You know, accel coming out of a 30 mph curve in 2nd gear, blast it up to 60 or 70 mph, then foot off the gas to slow down for the next slow curve, just leaving it in 2nd gear for the whole series of curves. That is really fun in tight curve sections of road.

I used to love driving around in the Black Hills in my 1965 HiPo Mustang like that. You could drive around in the Black Hills all day like that if there was no traffic.

Anyway, if it is the clutch noise that Tim has mentioned, it is a bit destructive, in a cumulative way (I gather). So I really do not like it.
I don't know if it will do it in 3rd gear. I'm not usually doing that type of driving in the higher speed range.
I really don't know how you could road race with a decel thing like this going on.
I probably should ask John Freund about it.

Here's a couple times Tim Zimmer has mentioned this thing:
"The floater plate and pressure plate legs wear into the cover legs from high rpm decel. To prevent this wear, reduce high rpm decel by shifting to neutral, upshifting, or using lower rpms for normal street usage"

and

"With most twin disks I recommend either up shifting to a lower rpm, or keep a tiny bit of throttle while braking to reduce the chattering or shift to neutral instead of engine braking. Other than the decel noise, it takes a beating to the keyways on the synchros over time."

Wanted to add a post I found regarding the Isuzu slave cylinder:

"Take this as you may, but you NEED to put that isuzu slave in, in order to get that clutch to perform properly. I had one before I switched to AUTO, and it was a bi*** to get working & adjusted properly. The OEM slave will push the throwout past the point that the manufacturer requires for proper throwout, and can trash the clutch. You need to mount a pedal stop on the firewall also, and adjust the throw of the pedal to the isuzu slave until it pushes the throwout bearing the distance listed on your clutch instructions. Any throw too short and it will be stiff, and too far will break parts inside. Start adjustments with a short throw, push the clutch pedal down, and rev the car like you're going to launch it. If it moves forward, the discs are rubbing & you need more throw, adjust the pedal stop down further in small increments. Adjust until the car stands still while revving with the clutch pedal in. Good luck."

-Mike (2Xthegreen, DSMTALK)

I tried the Isuzu slave on my car, I hated it. I could never get it to operate properly. I went back to the oem slave with a solid pedal stop and it's been working perfect for years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back