The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

PTT or Quarter Master twin disc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOSLO2PT0

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2002
Joliet, Illinois
Anybody prefer one over the other? I had a QM years ago and liked it. Had some issues with OEM clutch fork clearance but eventually got them figured out. Have a chance to buy a fresh PTT unit for a good price. Flywheel looks a little beat up, but still within spec.

opinions??

I assume the flywheel between the two brands are not interchangeable

I don't have any direct info, but I've heard good things about both. When I was researching, I was drawn more to the quartermaster, but mostly because I hadn't seen the ptt brought up much as of that time. Maybe @twicks69 or @bastarddsm could give some insight on the two?

What power levels are you at??? Is this a street car or a track car?

Personally, I absolutely hate the PTT clutch. I typically only sell Quarter Master gear drive twins with my 6 leg street flywheel or if the customer wants an 8 leg QM, then I use QM's street flywheel. Both my 6 leg street flywheel and the QM 8 leg street flywheel are one piece units with the ring gear machined into the flywheel. The PTT and QM race flywheels are 2 piece (flywheel and OEM ring gear heated up and pressed on), and require balancing after install of the ring gear. They are also notorious for walking off the ring gear or if you overheat your clutch you will toss the ring gear.

The standard hub disks on the old QM and the PTT clutches suck. The gear drive hubs are significantly stronger and are easier to install and have less chatter.

Personally though, unless you are making above 600-650ft/lbs torque or you are doing 9000+rpm track shifting, you can do a high quality single disk clutch and have less wear and tear on the drivetrain as well as be significantly more streetable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back