The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Exedy Twin Disc vs. Devo Tuning/Quarter Master Twin Disc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's been a while since I started this thread but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

I started with an ACT2600 and I ended up going with the Exedy Twin Disc clutch because the shop that I usually deal with said that they're never had any problems with Exedy, and with a trusted name like that... I shouldn't have anything to worry about either.

After about 1100 miles on the clutch (it was a daily driver) and NO abuse at all... the car was VERY hesitant to go into gear. Had the car towed to my local DSM shop. They checked all the hydraulics (which were all new) and everything seemed to be fine, so they removed the trans. The splines on the Exedy Discs and the splines on my input shaft were almost 100% GROUND ROUND.

I contacted Exedy for a warranty issue. The warranty department claimed that they have heard about this problem before, but it wasn't a normal occurrence. "It probably was just a bad batch of discs" they told me.

I sent the clutch back in and they swapped out the discs for brand new ones and I got the clutch back in about 2 weeks. I had to pay for the replacement of the input shaft, and I thought.. oh well... SH*T happens... right?

I put the clutch back in the car and it felt GREAT. About 1500 miles later... I was on my way home from work one night stopped at a light. As the light turned green I lightly got into first gear, shifted into 2nd gear and gave her some WOT. At the top of second gear, the rpm's jumped up and the car started gettin slower. (the feeling you usually get when a clutch is completely burnt out and slipping).

Had the car towed to the shop again.......... and AGAIN, they checked hydraulics and everything outside the trans before having to remove it again and nothing was wrong. They removed the trans and... guess what????? The splines on the discs and on the input shaft were GROUND ROUND AGAIN!!!!

I sent the clutch back to Exedy only this time Casey from the warranty department said that this happens all the time with this clutch and they'll be taking it off the shelves and it will be completely removed from the market.

Two clutch jobs and Two input shaft replacements later... I went back to ACT and got the 2900lb clutch w/ a street disc and streetlite flywheel. 6k miles on the clutch with multiple dyno and track visits.. WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Now I'm venturing back into the search for a good twin disc and purchased a Power Train Technology or "PTT" clutch and I hope this it goes well and holds the higher boost levels that I plan on running.

Now... if you ask me for my opinion??? STAY AWAY FROM EXEDY TWIN DISC CLUTCH KITS!!!!! There may still be a few kits out there that weren't sent back to Exedy, and you may be offered GOOD DEALS on them... please learn from my mistake.

Sorry to hear your woes from the Exedy setup.

As for my QM setup with PTT flywheel, I have had absolutely NO problems for two full seasons and I am very happy with the clutch.

I cannot tell you the mileage offhand, but it is more than 10K miles of 600-700 torque the entire time. I have had no issues with the clutch at the track doing e-brake slipper launches, and no issues on the dyno with consecutive back-to-back pulls.

The disks look great still and don't show any signs of decay or hot spoting, and the flywheel is functioning properly.

All in all, I am giving the clutch an "A" for price, quality, lifespan, and torque capacity. :thumb: (Purchased from Devotuning) [/shameless plug]

It's been a while since I started this thread but I just wanted to put my two cents in.

I started with an ACT2600 and I ended up going with the Exedy Twin Disc clutch because the shop that I usually deal with said that they're never had any problems with Exedy, and with a trusted name like that... I shouldn't have anything to worry about either.

After about 1100 miles on the clutch (it was a daily driver) and NO abuse at all... the car was VERY hesitant to go into gear. Had the car towed to my local DSM shop. They checked all the hydraulics (which were all new) and everything seemed to be fine, so they removed the trans. The splines on the Exedy Discs and the splines on my input shaft were almost 100% GROUND ROUND.

I contacted Exedy for a warranty issue. The warranty department claimed that they have heard about this problem before, but it wasn't a normal occurrence. "It probably was just a bad batch of discs" they told me.

I sent the clutch back in and they swapped out the discs for brand new ones and I got the clutch back in about 2 weeks. I had to pay for the replacement of the input shaft, and I thought.. oh well... SH*T happens... right?

I put the clutch back in the car and it felt GREAT. About 1500 miles later... I was on my way home from work one night stopped at a light. As the light turned green I lightly got into first gear, shifted into 2nd gear and gave her some WOT. At the top of second gear, the rpm's jumped up and the car started gettin slower. (the feeling you usually get when a clutch is completely burnt out and slipping).

Had the car towed to the shop again.......... and AGAIN, they checked hydraulics and everything outside the trans before having to remove it again and nothing was wrong. They removed the trans and... guess what????? The splines on the discs and on the input shaft were GROUND ROUND AGAIN!!!!

I sent the clutch back to Exedy only this time Casey from the warranty department said that this happens all the time with this clutch and they'll be taking it off the shelves and it will be completely removed from the market.

Two clutch jobs and Two input shaft replacements later... I went back to ACT and got the 2900lb clutch w/ a street disc and streetlite flywheel. 6k miles on the clutch with multiple dyno and track visits.. WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Now I'm venturing back into the search for a good twin disc and purchased a Power Train Technology or "PTT" clutch and I hope this it goes well and holds the higher boost levels that I plan on running.

Now... if you ask me for my opinion??? STAY AWAY FROM EXEDY TWIN DISC CLUTCH KITS!!!!! There may still be a few kits out there that weren't sent back to Exedy, and you may be offered GOOD DEALS on them... please learn from my mistake.

I had this VERY exact thing happen to me in my EVO with a Exedy triple disc cerametallic. I also wrote off Exedy and went with a Quartermaster. I havent had any problems since.

BTW I'm trying to decide between the Quartermaster and PPT for my 1G DSM that will have a Holset HX40. I made a thread asking about the differences between the two http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...in-technology-twin-disc-seem-almost-same.html

Let me know what you think!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back