The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

No click no crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasean Real

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2018
San Diego, California
Is there anyone who may be able to help me out i recently just swapped my harness and alternator after a small fire for my 2g 6 bolt and my lights and radio work but when trying to start the car nothing happens. battery is good and i just put a new starter in not completely sure if its set up right though.

Small spade terminal hooked up to the starter?
Tried jumping it from the battery terminal on the starter to the signal terminal to verify the starter is in good condition?

Small spade terminal hooked up to the starter?
Tried jumping it from the battery terminal on the starter to the signal terminal to verify the starter is in good condition?

i tried hooking up the positive battery terminal wire to the positive post on the starter (where the small wire that came on the starter is) and the starter would start to spin as soon as it made contact w the battery (w/o key in ignition) so i put it back on the other post

did you check the clutch switch? that'd be the first place I'd go if the starter isn't even attempting to engage

havent touched anything down there im not even sure which is the switch

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 116
edit: the clip from the cable is attached to the spade w the hole? this is how my starter is set up

Attachments

• IMG_1424.PNG
    IMG_1424.PNG
    174.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Is this terminal hooked up?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just being sure that the signal wire is attached to it.

Ok, that is needing to see 12v of course, for the starter to engage.
Here are a couple of drawings of where the starter relay is located....since you say you hear no clicking, I would check the wiring from the battery TO THE IGNITION SWITCH AND BACK OUT TO THE RELAY. It sounds like the relay is not getting energized, or not seeing 12 volts. Check all fuses with a multimeter to confirm they are good and not blown.

Check your starter relay. Did you swap it's harness? The AT harness connects differently than the MT one does to the relay and could be your problem if you did. Note: The MT relay stays closed while the AT one opens when you turn key to start.

Ok, that is needing to see 12v of course, for the starter to engage.
Here are a couple of drawings of where the starter relay is located....since you say you hear no clicking, I would check the wiring from the battery TO THE IGNITION SWITCH AND BACK OUT TO THE RELAY. It sounds like the relay is not getting energized, or not seeing 12 volts. Check all fuses with a multimeter to confirm they are good and not blown.

this off brand looking ass shit in the bottom right?

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 228
this off brand looking ass sh** in the bottom right?
No, that's the theft alarm starter relay. Do you have the factory theft alarm? The starter relay is under the radio to the left of the door lock power relay (Mitsu manual shows those two swapped wrong). If you have a M/T and don't care about the factory theft alarm or having to press the clutch pedal to enable the starter, the easiest and best thing to do is: eliminate the starter relay and jumper (solder preferred) it's black-red wire to it's black-yellow wire. You'll then never have problems again. If you have an A/T get back to me.

Thanks Gary. I should have asked about the alarm!

Check your starter relay. Did you swap it's harness? The AT harness connects differently than the MT one does to the relay and could be your problem if you did. Note: The MT relay stays closed while the AT one opens when you turn key to start.

i only swapped my engine wiring harness. is it this thing in this picture under the driver wheel? i do see something behind the radio too
No, that's the theft alarm starter relay. Do you have the factory theft alarm? The starter relay is under the radio to the left of the door lock power relay (Mitsu manual shows those two swapped wrong). If you have a M/T and don't care about the factory theft alarm or having to press the clutch pedal to enable the starter, the easiest and best thing to do is: eliminate the starter relay and jumper (solder preferred) it's black-red wire to it's black-yellow wire. You'll then never have problems again. If you have an A/T get back to me.

i have a M/T and the factory alarm i believe. it even used to go off when opening the door sometimes but i want to keep the clutch safety switch. just wanna fix whatevers keeping it from starting

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 100
Well I don't have the FSM in front of me, but 12 volts should go in this order:

Battery to Ignition switch
Ignition switch to clutch switch
Clutch switch to starter relay
Starter relay to starter signal terminal

This is off the top of my head but I think it is in the correct order.

@luv2rallye, where does the alarm relay come in this path and a fuse??? (Thanks Gary)
Trying to give the OP a path to follow.
Marty

I plugged in the starter relay and now its working. however i let off the clutch and it turned off idk if it needs more gas or what but yea i appreciate all of you guys for helpin out

That is what this forum is all about, and glad we all could pitch in and give a hand!!!
You won't find a better DSM forum for help than this one!
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back