1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

New Stock Block Record

Posted by laser90, Nov 6, 2011

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. 96awd

96awd Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2009
    Bourbon, Missouri
    Yes, yes it does matter actually. Because it's not the OEM rotating assembly from a 6 bolt 4G63 Talon/Eclipse motor. So please, :shhh:

Thanks.

455  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.410 @ 104.560 · 1G DSM
  2. camfast

camfast Proven Member

Joined Jun 6, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Lol...it doesn't matter what you think, its still impressive from the setup.

2K  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13 @ 100 · 2G DSM
  3. gusu

gusu Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2009
    Keizer, Oregon
    I think it was someone really big like Lucas English or John Shep got called a liar on here as well. Some people just believe people at all.

4. SupremeDsm

SupremeDsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well with all this debate going on when me and SIM attempt the record we are using the blocks original rotating assembly with 60k miles on it. Im going to have roughly 6 back up blocks because we are going to be blowing up alot of stuff. Lol

5. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin
    Ok so what the title of this thread needs to be changed, that way all these people wouldn't be getting butt hurt over the subject anymore. Built2Race came clean so everyone calm down.

To BUILT2RACE, congrats as someone already said, awesome job on pushing stock Evo pistons and rods! It's good to see that those can handle some abuse in our motors.

372  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  6. e85_4g63

e85_4g63 Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2008
    Manheim, Pennsylvania
    I think we, as a group, need to set up rules for this stock block "record"... Personally, I feel that balance shaft elimination is ok, because everyone does it. Also Using ARP bolts / studs is acceptable, and any OEM replacement piston is allowed. (NPR, OEM, JING JONG LANG from China, etc). Stock crank and rods are a must. Bearings, rings, and gaskets are whatever you decide. Thoughts?

***edit*** as long as the piston keeps the compression ratio at stock and is a cast piston with 21mm wrist pin

1K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. canada4g63

canada4g63 Proven Member

Joined Jun 6, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    there nothing wrong with that!

1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  8. sbiggi

sbiggi Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2005
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    Stock block means it came OEM with the parts for that car.

OEM rods, pistons and bolts. Those are the parts that matter for the rotating assembly to stay together. Upgrade any of that and its not a stock block anymore.

Car is fast for sure, but not a stock block by any means. Oem evo rod and pisont record or something along those line would be more relavent.

486  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.283 @ 126.860 · 1G DSM
  9. SupremeDsm

SupremeDsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree!

10. Built2Race

Built2Race Probationary Member

Joined Nov 12, 2011
    Orlando, Florida
    thanks !!!!

For me too still a record but not for the judges in this forum ... We are running 38psi

We really want to be clear with the rules for stock block, could some one post them...
    Cause for some people changing bearing, studs,etc... is ok
    But others say that is not stock because you change the parts of the car, so please lets get clear get the rules and post them so everyone could be clear...

Thanks!

11. rhamlinii

rhamlinii Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2003
    Baltimore City, Maryland
    Not, bad at all sir.

4K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. TofastForU_99

TofastForU_99 Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2009
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...-get-clear-what-stock-block-record-rules.html

Working on it, great idea tho.

13. black91awdturbo

black91awdturbo Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2005
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    So what is the current stock block record since this one is clearly outside of it!

Street Build 421  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  14. diambo4life

diambo4life Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2002
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The DSM record belongs to Mike Rizz from NEDSM. Has 100% stock 6-bolt block sans balance shafts.
    The car in this thread does not qualify since it has EVO VIII components. Whether they are stock or not is irrelevant.
    However, it's still a great run and fete. Congratulations! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

Drag Race Build 660  1

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 4K  25

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    710 whp · 501 lb/ft · Galant VR-4
  15. black91awdturbo

black91awdturbo Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2005
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Thank you sir..

Street Build 421  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  16. Built2Race

Built2Race Probationary Member

Joined Nov 12, 2011
    Orlando, Florida
    So is me or there's no rulebook,,, is just you guys saying that is has to be stock with this and that,,, don't get me wrong ok maybe our record is not valid because is with evo stock pistons! But come one! A motor with 100k with stock piston, rods and studs doing 600+hp with No ARP studs because are not stock. Will hold that much punishment be real guys! At least arp studs and more if you are launching the car and shifting over 8,000 rpm!

Just my 2 cents

17. rrussell

rrussell Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2008
    coeur d' alene, Idaho
    Were working on the rules.
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...-get-clear-what-stock-block-record-rules.html

Major kudos to your setup!!! Its crazy Fast!!!:thumb:

Street Build 2K  16

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
  18. rhamlinii

rhamlinii Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2003
    Baltimore City, Maryland
    On that link setup above, the rules were just set and confirmed basically by the current record holder. You have to use stock block, rods, pistons, and stock bolts throughout the motor. BSE, is optional as set by the current record holder. I have to agree with you, it is retarded to build and run a "ticking time bomb". However his Wednesday motor lived to tell the tale, so his 9.98 stands and may stand forever. After this one block blows the hell up. I'm going to put the s400 turbo on my car, and i'm going for 8s with the built motor.

4K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  19. Nate Crisman

Nate Crisman Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2008
    Blairstown, New Jersey
    Wicked pass for any oem cast piston and rod, but I have to agree with the rest of the peanut gallery that hybrid bottom end rebuilds (2g pistons, eve pistons, act) that raise compression over a stock 7.8CR OEM 6bolt are an advantage.

Oh the other hand, if it was a set of stock 8.5CR 2g pistons in a stock 7bolt bottom end...would the comments be any different?

This is certainly a grey area, and frankly, the cast piston w/ slightly higher compression is FAR less of an advantage compared to BSE kit, ARP head studs, and a good HG, both of which are accepted.

678  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.626 @ 128.800 · 1G DSM
  20. laser90

laser90 Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2003
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Ostarmotorsports has the record now 9.82@146!

660  0

12.652 @ 114.650 · 1G DSM
  21. vr4scott

vr4scott Proven Member

Joined Aug 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    There are 2 different stories about ostar from locals here in Orlando. 1 says he is using a JDM completely stock 6 bolt, stock rod bolts and all. The other says it has arp hardware and 2g pistons on 1g rods. I don't know for sure, I'm hoping the former is true.

22. laser90

laser90 Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2003
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    I remember him posting untouched JDM block minus the balance shafts.

660  0

12.652 @ 114.650 · 1G DSM
  23. OstarMotorsport

OstarMotorsport Proven Member

Joined Jun 15, 2010
    orlando, Florida
    You better check your sources before you post something like that here. Everyone that knows me,knows that the car is a true stock jdm 6 bolt block and I have worked very hard to get this car to run what it has, so for u or anyone else to come in here and try to stain all of my hard work is just a slap in the F#$^@%^ face. :nono: By the way why dont you call out these so called locals

By the way it is true ... 9.82@146 on a STOCK 6 BOLT BLOCK ...OH and did I mention it also did it with a ported STOCK intake manifold?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.225 @ 154.230 · 1G DSM
  24. Bricktop

Bricktop Proven Member

Joined Aug 24, 2009
    Corydon, Indiana
    Well said.

25. vr4scott

vr4scott Proven Member

Joined Aug 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Just re-iterating local talk. That last line in my comment said I'm rooting for the JDM option. A true world record breaker. Great job Fernando!