The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My Holset Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbide

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Turbo: BRAND NEW Holset HX40 12blade turbine/6blade comp. w/ BEP .55 A/R bolt-on housing

Boost: 29psi

Fuel/Engine Mang.: E85, FIC BM 1650s, ECMlink V3, GM Maf w/ ECMtuning cable

AFR: ~11.5:1

Timing: 17*

Compression: 7.8:1

Engine: Stock fresh 6-bolt, BC 272s, Magnus Street IM, Stock coppersprayed headgasket, ARPs

Misc: FP Race manifold
3" Ebay v-band 02 Housing w/ 38mm Tial MS-V
Turbo X ceramic coated hot parts
4" cold-air-intake in fenderwell

Results: 446 awhp/354tq on Dyno Dynamics AWD dyno @ DB Performance (Fuel Pump Maxed Out!!!)
521 awhp/415tq Dynojet Corrected.
Also made 459awhp at 30.5psi, but I'm a nancy and turned it down.

11.47 at 127mph 1.8 60ft (Only when I was making 402awhp DD with a big boost leak!!)

Comments:
I had previously dynoed with a big boost leak (made 402awhp on a DD), I put on a Magnus and fixed the leak I didn't know about. Spool on the dyno was now 500rpm faster.

Attachments

• hol3.jpg
    hol3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,869
  • hptq5.jpg
    hptq5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 911
You need to be a proven member to post in that thread

Im still torn between a hx35 (7 or 6 blade) or an hx40 (8 blade). What rpms do you see full boost? I would also expect more power than that, but not bad for a turbo that opens up between 35-40psi. People have made that power at that boost on a 16g. I would turn that boost up a little.

Dyno Dynamics dynoes read quite a bit lower than a Dynojet. He probably would put down around 470whp on a djet. Put in in that perspective, and i think these numbers look more like what we expect

Nice job! I would definitely be interested in seeing what numbers you could put out by turning up the boost above 30psi, especially running the e85.

Dyno Dynamics dynoes read quite a bit lower than a Dynojet. He probably would put down around 470whp on a djet. Put in in that perspective, and i think these numbers look more like what we expect

I did put that in perspective. I would expect 450+ at those boost levels on that type of dyno for that turbo but he only said hx40, we really dont know what one he has. Still not bad numbers, even the OP expected a little more.

to the OP which hx40 do you have?

that's why my boys and me call the Dyno Dynamics " The HeartBreaker" LOL

You are very correct. Dyno Dynamics is probably the lowest reading dyno.

I posted it here hoping someone could move it! I wish I could post more pics of my setup, but I'm at the limit with just one LOL.

I did put that in perspective. I would expect 450+ at those boost levels on that type of dyno for that turbo but he only said hx40, we really dont know what one he has. Still not bad numbers, even the OP expected a little more.

to the OP which hx40 do you have?

He does have stock IM, too. Possibly he could add a degree or two of timing for a little more
The Dyno Dynamics is "the Heartbreaker" as mentioned.
Plus 28psi isn't really pushing the hx40

I'd like more specs on the HX40..

Also you need more timing if you're gonna run 28psi.

Which hx40 do you have. 99% chance you ahve a 12 blade turbine wheel hx40. There's not going to be any difference between the pro40 compressor and the standard 8blade compressor at this level. At 33psi the 8blade compressor with the bolton 12blade turbine netted 535whp on the RRE dyno dynamics. That same guy went on to trap a speed with weight that calculates out to a 580whp setup.

Regardless, this is REALLY good for a dyno dynamics. That dyno reads the absolute lowest. Best thing will be when you get a trap speed with a known weight, but it's common to see a 15-20% difference between a DD and a dynojet. Good job!!! I'll put this in the holset results thread for you if you want. I'd like to post it with a dyno graph though.

DEFINATELY agree that with 7.8:1CR and e-85 you should be runnign more timing.

A SMIM may still net you more gains. Just because it peaked at 7000rpms means that something is preventing you from getting more VE later in the rev range. That same boost will net more torque later in the rev range since HP is a function of torque, you certianly would net more HP with a SMIM.

And 450whp on a dyno dynamics and an evo3 16g is bullsh!t. There's probably 1-2 setups that could do that so the mode, median, and average would never be remotely close. Especially with the stock intake manifold and stock 7.8:1CR. CB with MUCH MUCH more bolton work made only 499whp with an evo3 16g rolling on a dynojet. If you want a comparison you should have shipped him a bolton hx40 ;) . A friend of mine here went to norfolk and netted only a 360whp sheet from a dyno dynamics. Yet when going north and NO difference in mods except adding drag radials netted 427whp on a dynojet.

That turbo flows more than the evo3 16g no matter the boost. Waking it up means nothing. It already flows more airflow per psi of boost. You can see that at 15psi or 30 psi. My bolton h1c (less advanced aero tech in the wheel than the hx35) flows 3-4 lb/min more on the hot side than the evo3 16g hotside at merely 22 psi per my direct swap between the two turbos. The 16g was flowing 36lb/min and the h1c was flowing 40lb/min. That percentage differences applies across the board: 10% more flow. I saw 10% more flow at all boost levels up to the compressor limit of the 16g and then saw more difference. Yes, maybe you don't FEEL the difference until start pushing the turbos. But I don't even agree with that based on my experience. I FELT a difference at the same boost with my bolton h1c over my un maxed out 16g at the same boost as soon as I bolted it on with no difference in tune. Which needed very little difference in tune in the first place since they spooled about the same.

Which hx40 do you have. 99% chance you ahve a 12 blade turbine wheel hx40. There's not going to be any difference between the pro40 compressor and the standard 8blade compressor at this level.

Care to explain?

Theres a 10blade hx40 turbine wheel out there that flows slightly less and spools slightly more. When you get a pro40 from the holset factory it comes with that wheel. Most get the pro hx40 after it has been upgraded at a turbo shop. In this case it comes with the regular 12blade higher flowing slower spooling turbine wheel. The 12blade wheel is the wheel that spools to 20+ psi by 4K in 3rd and has done 650whp on a dynojet with the .55 a/r housing.

Compressor flow is nothing but POTENTIAL flow. The efficiency at this level is dead nuts the same. And regardless, the efficiency is cancelled nearly entirely with a 75% efficiency intercooler. The temp difference is about 5*F with a 10% difference in efficiency. Not much temp change at all. I have the math posted elseware here. So you can do a search to check my math ;) .

Understood

I got the 6/12, upgraded myself.

To the OP, get the car to the track also.. because of so much variance of dyno's I don't care for numbers much. Your trap speed really shows if the car is moving or not.

Well. It's better to say that when the smaller compressor reaches it's limit, the larger compressor starts to shine over it. But otherwise, the results for anything less than the smaller compressor's maximum flow will be about the same between two turbos with the same turbine wheel and turbine housing.

You don't need to run huge boost when swapping from a 16g to gt35r, or hx40, or s362 to see a huge difference in flow. You can run 25psi with either turbo. But the results will be VERY different between the small turbo and the large turbo. Like I said, I saw a large difference with a smaller gap between turbo sizes at only 22psi and stock manifolds. This is because the turbine is different. There's much more to a turbo than a compressor. You can't expect massive gains with another turbo if the upgrade only consists of a compressor wheel upgrade. Look at the results of a td05h 20g vs. a td05h evo3 16g. Same turbine wheel/housing.

Good work man! This again makes me wish I would have stayed Holset. Maybe Ill sell my 60 trim when it comes back from slowboy and get the Holset set up going. Thanks for the insperation!

So do you want me to post the results in the holset results thread until your status changes? I'll be more than happy to do this. Do you have any dyno sheets? I'd love to add that to that thread too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back