The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

loctite on bolts? What is this stuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I am disassembling an AWD trans and I couldn't even get the end cover off. The first bolt was tight...great stripped I thought. Next two did same thing. I decided somebody must have put loctite on the bolts. Most of them came out easier with heat but not all. One of them stripped the head off completely and worse still whatever this stuff is the bolt is stuck in the bearing plate. A few of the bolts "threaded" out of the bearing plate. Some of you know this is a through hole. They didn't just screw out. I had to impact them out HARD even after I had already cleared the threads. Bolts are coated in some sort of light dust. They don't appear to be damaged. I haven't seen the bolt holes yet. It was so bad Two of the holes on the end case broke, I assume from the bolt stuck to it. Lastly since the bolt holes are mostly through holes this powder came out of the threads. Take a look at this stuff. I'm probably going to have to cut the bearing plate, There is no getting this bolt out of there alive if the impact and head didn't get it. I might be able to salvage it but I gotta get the bearing plate off.
Comments?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That looks like they both corroded together. So the threads likely oxidized and kind of self stuck to the bolt like a loctite or a course compound. Thats my idea as i have has some bolts stuck in alloy but no way near as bad as this!

Other then soaking the entire thing i dont know what else to suggest. It needs to get inside all the nooks and crannys

I agree, to me this appears to be very bad corrosion. Maybe they used opposing metals that do not interact well and its really bad. You could try something like CLR and soak it in it or just keep it wet. Maybe that would help break up and eat away at the corroded metal.

Paul, can to test any CLR cleaner on that bolt to see if that crap dissolves?
Sorry @Dusty Landrum, we must have posted at the same time.

That looks like they both corroded together. So the threads likely oxidized and kind of self stuck to the bolt like a loctite or a course compound. Thats my idea as i have has some bolts stuck in alloy but no way near as bad as this!

Other then soaking the entire thing i dont know what else to suggest. It needs to get inside all the nooks and crannys
I would agree except once you get the crud off the threads are good and not pitted. I've got it apart now but the case broke some of the through bolt bosses where it gets thin. Thankfully there is a spare

I would agree it looks like the result of galvanic corrosion. In this case the aluminum is higher on the galvanic series and would act as the anode, so the steel threads should still look decent, but the aluminum would not.

Also Ive seen very rusty hardware and it still didn't do this. I mean...after the bolt was loose from the thread, like where the bolts are at the bearing plate you've got about a 2 inch through hole. I had to give the impact all it had and the bolts sort of screwed out if it even though there are no threads. This stuff left "threads" behind. A few of the bolts broke loose and it was like it exploded in a cloud of dust. Was very odd. I cut through two bolts and I have a chunk of one bolt stuck in the bearing plate. Hammer and punch didn't budge it. I may try the CLR just because I'm curious.

I would agree it looks like the result of galvanic corrosion. In this case the aluminum is higher on the galvanic series and would act as the anode, so the steel threads should still look decent, but the aluminum would not.
I'm not ruling this out. I'll post back when I get a chance to clean it all up.

Or maybe Loctite bearing mount is used as thread locker. The color is originally green while it's liquid but when it gets cured it becomes almost white. And if it's Loctite 680, that's almost a permanent lock, it holds really strong. You have to heat to remove the bolt.

Also Ive seen very rusty hardware and it still didn't do this. I mean...after the bolt was loose from the thread, like where the bolts are at the bearing plate you've got about a 2 inch through hole. I had to give the impact all it had and the bolts sort of screwed out if it even though there are no threads. This stuff left "threads" behind. A few of the bolts broke loose and it was like it exploded in a cloud of dust. Was very odd. I cut through two bolts and I have a chunk of one bolt stuck in the bearing plate. Hammer and punch didn't budge it. I may try the CLR just because I'm curious.

I'm not ruling this out. I'll post back when I get a chance to clean it all up.

So in my line of work, corrosion and rust are placed in different tables even though they are similar in nature. Like someone mentioned earlier, dissimilar metal corrosion will cause severe corrosion but not pitting or scoring all the time.. it will bond two metals and always leaves that characteristic white power. Still starts with moisture. CLR "should" break it up but in the aviation industry we use much stronger and incredibly more expensive stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back