The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Is this the TCU?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoccwave

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 26, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Nobody seems to have an actual picture for a 2G N/A Automatic TCU. I have a fault code and I was trying to look for the TCU. Is this it?

Update: So the first picture I had on here was the ABS Module. So what about this next picture...is that the TCU? I searched online for replacement TCU's and the lower picture is from the website but I'm still not sure of the location. I just want to know what I'm looking for. Does that TCM look right?

Attachments

• TCM1.JPG
    TCM1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Keep in mind mine is a non turbo car, there is no other module next to the ECU in my car. I'm just confused because some say it's next to the ECU in the engine bay, others say its under the cup holders, others say it's behind the radio but nobody has a picture of it.

I took the ECU out when I did the swap so I wouldnt damage the connectors, there was only one piece. The ECU has two connectors on it that you kind of see in the pic and aside from that there is nothing else there. I completely removed the ECU with the mounting bracket and did not see anything else there

Thanks, I will try looking there. That's the only location I havent tried. What color should the TCU be....silver?

In 420A DSM's, the TCU is right next to the ECU. It looks very similar to the ECU. If you don't have one, then you probably don't have an automatic transmission.

Do you have (3) pedals on the driverside of the car? I found a picture of a 420a engine bay with an A/T after about 30 minutes of google search, I circled the TCU so you know where to look.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no need to be condescending, I know I have an automatic, I know I only have two pedals...accelerator and brake pedal, and there is only one module in my engine bay. It's been that way since I got it and it worked fine. I will take a pic of my bay tomorrow and you will see that there is no other module there.

Update: Here's the pic of my engine bay before I did the swap. Notice that only one of the modules is there and that's how it was running before.

Attachments

• 2010-04-04 14.20.00.jpg
    2010-04-04 14.20.00.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
There's no need to be condescending, I know I have an automatic, I know I only have two pedals...
I really wasn't trying to belittle you, that was a serious question and I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. :coy:

WTFOK!OK!:ohdamn:if you have a 95 the TCU is in Engine bay next to the ECU. If you have a 96-99 it is on the Floor board up against the fire wall under the shifter cable behind the radio!!!!:D
If this is true I've definitely learned something from this thread too. Every time I see a popped 420A hood I look for that TCU to see if its an A/T. :ohdamn:

If it is in fact behind the radio, to access it you'll need to take of the driverside kick panel.

If this is true I've definitely learned something from this thread too. Every time I see a popped 420A hood I look for that TCU to see if its an A/T. :ohdamn:

I know what ya mean, i was thinking the same thing, till i popper my g/fs hood (drives a 97 esi auto, was gonna take a picture to help him) and didn't see the tcu right there. Was thoroughly confused... damn you 95, and 96-99 differences!

1. Where did you find that part?
2. Does it have a Mitsu part number on it? I can use that to verify what part it is.

Well I searched on Yahoo! for "1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse TCU" and a website called autocomputerexchange.com came up, that's where I got the picture from. There doesnt seem to be a part number for it though. Oh, by the way...Gofer I apologize also, it's kind of hard to tell the tone of peoples questions through text...LOL.

Last edited:
looks like it... i'll take a pic of my old TCU when i get off work so you can compare i know i still have it...some were....

Ok I Found!!! it came off when i did my tranny swap..:cool:

Last edited:
Well great news for me, turns out it was really simple. So simple in fact that I'm embarrassed to say it...LOL. When I hooked everything back up after the swap, turns out I forgot to tighten down the bolt that holds the big square connector to the solenoid pack on top of the trans housing. It was popping out a bit from one side so I pushed it down and tightened the bolt. I ran the scan again and "Zero" codes were found. Trans is out of limp mode and running great. Thanks for the help guys.:hellyeah::D

Im about to buy a 1998 eclipse gs, non turbo, automatic. The guy said its stuck in safety mode. And i saw on here you can just remove the TCU or something, and hopefully it would run normal. If i go test drive it, can i unplug one of them (TCU, ECU whatever) and see if that is the problem or will it messd anything else up with it?

thanks

No, you can't remove the ecu and still have the car run. The tcu controls the transmision. If its in limp mode, more than likely it's going to need a transmision but to check all the conections on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back