The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

intake manifold difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrbllt

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2009
a city in, New_Jersey
I have searched and can not really find a definite answer. Is there different intake manifold on a 1g 4g63 turbo and 2g 4g63 turbo or with other cars with similar specs

I have searched and can not really find a definite answer. Is there different intake manifold on a 1g 4g63 turbo and 2g 4g63 turbo or with other cars with similar specs

Yes, the intake manifolds are different between 1G 4g63T and 2G 4g63T. One big dif is the intake ports on the 2G manifold/head are considerably smaller than the intake ports on the the 1G head/manifold.

This was from a 3 second google search

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Either one is interchangeable with the other though.

This statement is completely incorrect. This user need rep points removed for posting this. Anyone reading this thread in the future should note that this statement should be ignored.

Interchangeable as in the bolt up but your airflow would be crap if you bolted up a 2G intake manifold to a 1G head and vises versa. At least not without extensive porting.

It's also worth mentioning that anyone attempting to mate a 2G manifold to a 1G head could possibly have manifold sealing issues because of the design of the 2G manifold.

The evo III manifold and the 2G manifold are interchangeable. In fact, the Evo III manifold is actually an upgrade for the 2G guys.

There is a long-standng argument on this site about which is better. It is my belief that the 2G head design is better, ONLY when coupled with the Evo III manifold, and only to a certian point. There is a limit to how much air you can force through those tiny intake ports. For all other applications I believe that the 1G head/manifold is better. I am only stating my beliefs, I am basing this on no scientific testing of any kind. So I do not wish to argue about it with anyone. You are free to state your opinions, just as I have done.

My friend swapped out his evo III intake manifold for a 2g manifold...with the same tune his safc II showed he was flowing 500 hz more with the 2g mani.

Your friend has to be on something.. Or your talking about the intake itself. Not the manifold.

I would like to see this log. Or a flow test comferming the 2g manifold flowed more than the evo 3.

Im talking about the intake manifold. Neither were ported or altered. Only difference was swapping the manifolds. There is no log since he was using a chip and safc II but there were several witnesses who saw the airflow change. We were all shocked since we considered the evo mani as an upgrade like everyone else.

Edit: Im not saying this is the norm. Im sure most see improved numbers or they wouldnt be so popular.

It's also worth mentioning that anyone attempting to mate a 2G manifold to a 1G head could possibly have manifold sealing issues because of the design of the 2G manifold.

Let's not beat around the bush with this. The 2G intake manifold will not seal on a 1G head. The 2G gasket is clearly too small and the 1G gasket will not take up the space to close the gaps pictured.

Attachments

• OFH_and_Compatabilities039.jpg
    OFH_and_Compatabilities039.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 380
  • OFH_and_Compatabilities042.jpg
    OFH_and_Compatabilities042.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 407
Great pic 19eclipse90! I had suspected that would be the case but had not seen it in person. I had both intakes in my hands at the same time comparing them to a 2G head. So 2G intake on a 1G head is just a complete no go. Putting a 1G intake mani on a 2G head even tho it'll bolt up would just flow awful unless you extensively ported the 2G head to the 1G intake mani (which in my opinion would be extreme porting) and might very likely ruin the flow characteristics of a 2G head that make it great in the first place. So I really couldn't see doing this any which way.

Im talking about the intake manifold. Neither were ported or altered. Only difference was swapping the manifolds. There is no log since he was using a chip and safc II but there were several witnesses who saw the airflow change. We were all shocked since we considered the evo mani as an upgrade like everyone else.

Edit: Im not saying this is the norm. Im sure most see improved numbers or they wouldnt be so popular.

Its hard to rely on data given from just a chip and a SAFC.

So the exhaust manifolds are interchangable but the 1g is a downgrade compared to the 2g is that correct?

Reason for asking is I am having all kinds of tuning issues for my idle and have tried every tip I have seen on here. The only thing I can think of is I currently have a 1g exhaust manifold on my 2g head. Which I been meaning to switch but haven't had the time.

So the exhaust manifolds are interchangable but the 1g is a downgrade compared to the 2g is that correct?

Reason for asking is I am having all kinds of tuning issues for my idle and have tried every tip I have seen on here. The only thing I can think of is I currently have a 1g exhaust manifold on my 2g head. Which I been meaning to switch but haven't had the time.

this thread is about Intake manifolds not exaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back