1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Holset Turbos

Posted by Morphius, Oct 2, 2004

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That's a great question. That option is not available in the United States, however we went ahead and ordered 3 slip fit outlets for the HX-35 and they will be here in February. Since these turbos run such high boost on their OEM applications nearly all the Holset turbochargers use the V-Band clamp to eliminate the intercooler pipe blowing off.

2. TurboGeoff

TurboGeoff Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2003
    Redwood City, California
    Does the lb rating on the wastegate refer to its minimum pressure or its strength?

What is the lb rating on the bullseye one?

I want to be able to run 10 psi of boost on this turbo!

-Geoff

3. 93AWDTalon1

93AWDTalon1 Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2004
    Louisville, Kentucky
    the # I gave you on the holset was the min pressure.
    Why would you want to run 10 psi on a turbo made to 30+psi

302  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. TurboGeoff

TurboGeoff Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2003
    Redwood City, California
    Because i may need to turn it down at times to keep from speeding, etc.

I think that im just going to go with an external wastegate, i did the math and it would b $40 cheaper than goign with the internal.

-geoff

5. joeracer321

joeracer321 Proven Member

Joined Aug 27, 2004
    Lancaster, California

were you counting on smoging that car? external gate in CA is a no go.

6. TurboGeoff

TurboGeoff Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2003
    Redwood City, California
    My smog guy doesnt care whats under my hood as long as what comes out the tailpipe passes emissions.

7. defrag010

defrag010 Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2004
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    there are 3284902343902 different variations within all of the holset turbos.

8. tsi20gawd

tsi20gawd Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2003
    everett, Washington
    Thats funny...I helped put that turbo on that car :p
    Yea just to let you know you have to staight BEAT the hell out of the water pipe to clear the hx-35 compressor housing in there. I endud up just unbolting the water pipe and sliding it up then we safety wired it in..LOL ahh good times good times, oh yeah and if you look closely at the wastagate actuator thats our custom cordboar spacer to get the angle on the actuator close enough so we could bold it up LOL.
    Hell I took those pic's :thumb:

9. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You must be a friend of Eric's, I heard he sold the car, turbo or both. He said the car felt real good and ran some good 1/8th miles.

10. FireyIce01

FireyIce01 Proven Member

Joined Mar 17, 2004
    Rancho Cordova, California
    Or if you don't want to do that, weld it closed and put an external on... *shrugs*

29  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

58  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. tsi20gawd

tsi20gawd Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2003
    everett, Washington
    Yup I am the guy who helped Eric..er I still do now it's an Aristo swap in his 03 GS430...Trust me the talon was esier. Yea the turbo performed well I must say, Like I said I still have a spare housing waiting for an hx-35/40 hybrid...someday.
    Well I am by no means saying anything bad about these turbo's just what I personally have seen/driven/done. The 1/8th mile time he posted was quick I was there...however A 16G I also tuned for a friend of Eric's and mine did post better 1/8th mile times..the exact same day/time/event. All I'm saying is this turbo is a freeway high boost killer that's where it lives dont expect the low boost power a 50trim/20G has that we have all come to love.
    Oh and When are you going to create a new housing that can adapt the later CHRA holset's? Eric and I had four of them waiting for the housing's..needless to say we had to do a little scrounging to get the bolt on CHRA. Which is why we had to beat the water pipe to death. The later turbo(v-band) has a phisically smaller compressor cover, the erlier turbo(bolt-on) has a larger cover making it a wee bit trickier to install.
    Just curious.
    Bryan.

12. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need a housing for the HY-35?

13. tsi20gawd

tsi20gawd Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2003
    everett, Washington
    I'm gonna talk to Eric later today I'll ask him exactly what years the turbo's that are v-band came off of. No I'm sure it was still an hx-35??? I could be wrong it happened once before :p

14. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    Yes. Please!!! :D

The investment would be very low to incorporate this change. You've already developed the part of the housing that is internally vital. You'd just be changing the one face of the housing.

The range of Holset's that can use it would greatly increase. I've got four setting here looking for a home. I'd be looking to buy 2 right away.

15. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The change would be inexpensive if only the machining print had to be modified. If it turns out to be a casting change then the cost of a new or modified pattern would be far too expensive to do for only a few housings.

16. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan

What type of casting do you use?

From what I see on the internet, there are just as many HY's available as there are HX's. You'd sell more than just a few. Like I said, I've got four setting here with two needing immediate homes. Apparently, tsi20gawd also had four and was in a similar situation. I know there are more out there that had or picked up a HY in error. Or can only find a decent HY and not a HX.

Build it and they will come.

17. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We will certainly look in to it at our next engineering meeting in January.

18. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    Is your housing you offer for the Mitsubishi turbos, Garretts and Holset the same casting?

19. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes it is.

20. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan

Ok, so it's the same housing with different machining processes done to adapt the differnent cartridges to the housing.

Given the Mitsubishi turbo cartridges are attached to the housing via a V-band clamp, logic only says that you're some CNC code away from widening your product line to include the HY model Holset's. :D

21. 1029TSG

1029TSG Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2004
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Best case scenario, yes. However, if there's not enough machine stock in the raw casting to accomodate the HY series then a casting change will be needed. Big $$$$$

22. GSXracer

GSXracer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
  23. drewgray

drewgray Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2003
    Little Rock, Arkansas
  24. GSXracer

GSXracer Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Compressor wheel size?

25. 93AWDTalon1

93AWDTalon1 Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2004
    Louisville, Kentucky
    What are you calling low and high boost?

302  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.