The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I'd throw this in the mix... I had a lengthy conversation with a tech at a local diesel turbo shop, and he told me that the older holset H1C turbos share the same center cartridge and turbine wheel. He said that they are identical to the HX35 on the hotside, and almost on the cold side. He told me that the compressor maps are almost the same, and that the hx35 is a "modern" version of the H1C that is a little bit more efficient on the cold side.
So a Holset H1C is a viable option opposed to the HX35. He told me you could also use any turbo from the H1 series (such as the H1A, H1B). I saw a Brand new H1A turbo on ebay for less than 200$ with no bids. You can find H1C's readily off of first generation cummins rams (shoebox trucks).

This is great information. Now, I need to know who is going to step up to the plate and make a living at this? Since we dont sell used or remmaned turbochargers this market is wide open. Someone needs to source the CHRA's, open a wholesale account with us for the turbine housings and retail the complete units on a website or eBay. I will be more than happy to support this person in any way to build their business and promote their product. Please email me directly at [email protected]

Are there any other Holset turbos that could be used with this turbine housing? I'm really looking for something smaller, I just realized the HX-35 is going to be to large for my set-up.

pinknuggit said:
I just thought I'd throw this in the mix... I had a lengthy conversation with a tech at a local diesel turbo shop, and he told me that the older holset H1C turbos share the same center cartridge and turbine wheel. He said that they are identical to the HX35 on the hotside, and almost on the cold side. He told me that the compressor maps are almost the same, and that the hx35 is a "modern" version of the H1C that is a little bit more efficient on the cold side.
So a Holset H1C is a viable option opposed to the HX35. He told me you could also use any turbo from the H1 series (such as the H1A, H1B). I saw a Brand new H1A turbo on ebay for less than 200$ with no bids. You can find H1C's readily off of first generation cummins rams (shoebox trucks).
Problem with the H1c is, the smallest turbine housing you can get for it is a 16cm^2 unless you machine it out for 12cm^2. I know guys have machined out hx40s for the 12cm^2 housing with much performance success and absolutely no longevity whatsoever.

That doesn't sound right. My uncle swapped a 12cm housing from an hx35 onto his 1st gen ram with a h1c with no problem. What do you mean by longetiity?
I don't know, but I think the HX40 has a larger diameter turbine. I know for a fact that the 21, 18, 16, 14, and 12cm housings will fit on the h1c with no modifications. H1 series and the HX35 variations are all interchangeable. They have the same CHRA's and turbines. The only housing that won't fit on the h1c is the 9cm off of the HY35 because it's a clamp style and the h1c/hx35 is a bolt down style.

Here's a little chart......

Attachments

• CumminsSpecsA.jpg
    CumminsSpecsA.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7,800
i called them a while back and they want 150$ for a rebuildable core for an hx35. I bought a core from them where the compressor wheel was shredded up, for 75$, but I got rid of it because it wasn't rebuildable.

If you are looking for Hx 35's and Hx 40's and the odd Hy 35 you can look on the www.dieseltruckresource.com in the classifieds when I went to a huge turbo on my cummins I sold it in the classifiedes you can get em pretty cheap from the Hp hungry over there dumping them for bigger units to US diesel guys an Hx 35 is like a T25. Also if you look into piers diesel research they make the Hx's spool faster and more durable.

They look so "at home" LOL

HX-40 currently on my 9.0:1 compression motor... That motor is sold and now a 2.3 stroker 8.8:1 compression- should have easy spool up. :shhh:

Attachments

• My Car DSM 001.jpg
    My Car DSM 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 8,794
So these dodge cummins diesel turbos bolt up to the stock manifold? How is spool time on a stock engine? This is very interesting info.

Thanks prostreetdsmx1, its been a work in progress and now its paying off i guess.

on a 2.0 liter motor it should get full boost by 3700, on my 9.0:1 it should be around 3500, and on the 2.3 stroker it should be around 3000 or a tick later. i haven't started her yet... were still figuring some things out. since i last drove the car... the 3" 02 housing, magnus intake, holset turbo, AEM EMS, 850cc FIC's, 3000gt vr4 TB... basically everything is new and hasnt been started except for the complete head and trans and bottom end. everything else is new. should be fun trying to tune this thing just to drive it.

TIM

Hey bro nice engine bay so clean i could eat off of it j/k but props on ur build. In ur profile it says t70 did u get rid of that turbo for this holeset and if so what was the spool like with the t70 thanks man.

98talonAWD said:
Thanks prostreetdsmx1, its been a work in progress and now its paying off i guess.

on a 2.0 liter motor it should get full boost by 3700, on my 9.0:1 it should be around 3500, and on the 2.3 stroker it should be around 3000 or a tick later. i haven't started her yet... were still figuring some things out. since i last drove the car... the 3" 02 housing, magnus intake, holset turbo, AEM EMS, 850cc FIC's, 3000gt vr4 TB... basically everything is new and hasnt been started except for the complete head and trans and bottom end. everything else is new. should be fun trying to tune this thing just to drive it.

TIM

Ok so out of all the turbos listed on post #32 which would be the best to have full spool around 3k rpm? I want to start searching but I want to know what would be the best for street/strip use? Like I mentioned before I would like full boost by around 3k rpm...so which would be better? :D

the turbo is a Holset HX-40. the compressor wheel is unknown... but it is closest to a T70 garrett or turbonetics wheel. because its from Holset... ( and they dont release any info about any of there turbos.. like the inducer/exducer, trim and stuff like that). i was told by the supplier that it flows around the T70 wheel. wish i could get some info on it. The exhaust wheel is HUGE. its a full 3" out of the turbine wheel. and its a full T4 exhaust wheel.

dont know what it spools at. i haven't driven it yet.

TIM

cool thanks for the reply Tim

no problem.

about the spool question.. it should spool on a stock 2g block around 3700.. on a 1g.. probably the same. Even though the 1g has lower compression.. it also has the bigger intake manifold and allows more air to pulse into the housing. if you had a 2g with a magnus intake manifold im assuming it should knock off like 200-300 rpms of spool up time... but thats and educated guess... not hard facts.

TIM

As far as I know the HX-40 has a 58mm inducer and is rated around 70lb/min of airflow. In the Garrett world the Ts04 wheel is 58mm and is rated at 55lb/min. If 58mm is indeed correct for the Hx-40 then Holset seems to be almost magical. I am very curious and sceptical to see what happens with these. Why doesnt someone with an Hx-40 take some measurements?

Yes, someone should measure one.

My guess is that it's a combination of the HX and HY series with different trims. It's likely that the compressor map resembles the HX-35...... only shifted to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back