The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hx-40 8blade real or fake?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Real, but that thing is in rough condition rust-wise. Also, verify that the turbine is 76/64mm as some of the H1E's and HX40's which had 26cm turbine housings used a 76/67mm turbine wheel which will not fit into aftermarket turbine housings made for the HX40.

Hey guys, I picked up a 7-blade hx40 but I'm not convinced it's genuine and I just wanted to get some opinions on it:

Real or fake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Real. That turbo would have the billet 7-blade compressor from the factory...you can only replace it with another 7-blade compressor or the BatMoWheel from Bullseye. Factory 6-blade 60mm wheels have a .5mm-higher tip height and will rub the cover.

Real. That turbo would have the billet 7-blade compressor from the factory...you can only replace it with another 7-blade compressor or the BatMoWheel from Bullseye. Factory 6-blade 60mm wheels have a .5mm-higher tip height and will rub the cover.

Kick ass, thanks Justin! :hellyeah:

Just waiting on FP now (and forged internals :p)...

I agree, those pictures are of a true Holset. The 'fake' in your fake vs. original comparison is of an h1e and the 'original' is of the hx40 8-blade. The 'fake' has been balanced. If a chinese company can make an exact replica and can balance it, then I'll buy it. . . I've seen amny DIFFERENT real holsets have both covers shown above. . .

No doubt, there is a company making chinese parts that 'cheat off of' Holset. However, there's no lawsuits stretching across the ocean to pounce on a chinese company :) . So there's nothing holset can do about it. China will permit anything promoting their economy.

If they don't post the pic of their turbo, then don't buy it. It's that simple. If they do, then don't expect it to perform the same.
You will get what you pay for. Always. They don't allow anyone under 8 years old to build turbo's in China. Yeah!!! Thank goodness!

Their balance has improved to nearly perfect. It is not the issue. The tolerances are so far off that is why they do not perform, survive or effectively compete with ISO 9001-9002 manufacturing specs. I use a digital gram weight scale that is highly precise. The turbine wheel is a huge culprit. They average 15% greater weight than there OEM counterparts. Rotating mass is one of several factors in spool up rate. Clearances between the turbine housing profile and the turbine wheel blade itself is another huge factor. Post dyno runs, post victories using a Chinese turbo... Save our time you can't, they don't exist. Sorry

When I google the part number, it only seems to be sold from foreign sites. Here are all the pics I've gotten from the guy, but I need to find out tonight before I send payment. It has the holset sticker and the holset tag is under the sticker(see pic).

Attachments

• hx35 divided housing.jpg
    hx35 divided housing.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 281
  • ResizedImage951368567456027[1].jpg
    ResizedImage951368567456027[1].jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 265
  • ResizedImage_1368577492752[1].jpg
    ResizedImage_1368577492752[1].jpg
    31 KB · Views: 282
  • hx35 turbuine.jpg
    hx35 turbuine.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 338
  • hx35 compressor.jpg
    hx35 compressor.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 346
Casting it too nice on the compressor housing. I say 100% fake.

Myself and Kyle (urbansmoker1) have a billet 7blade hx40 that looks very similar to this with "nx" on the cover, smooth "holset" casting, and a silver tag. According to Justin (jusmx141), my hx40 is indeed genuine. This one looks genuine to me man...

Done, ships today! At 1st I was like :D, then I was like WTF when I couldn't find any info, now I'm like :hellyeah: after finding this thread and your reassurance.

Thanks folks

Welcome to the dark side :hellyeah:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH8b5ruc_-E]Star Wars Gangsta Rap 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Hey I need your guys help on verifying this holset. I picked it up from a cummins four but I haven seen one like it. I called a turbo shop and they ran the cast numbers and said its probably real but id appreciate some input.Any help would be appreciated. Now for pics

That's what I thought by the engraved serial. I wonder if I make a claim if PayPal would refund me the money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back