The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks more like a H1C to me.

Actually, a quick Google search reveals that there are apparently some counterfeit H1C's in circulation as well. :ohdamn:

Attachments

• 2009372153327694.jpg
    2009372153327694.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,304
Oh lord. . . Well. The smart and patient will prevail. . . Good to at least know about this and have it in the official counterfeit holset thread.

. . . Back to the turbo. You can EASILY remove the compressor cover. It is just a Vband. BE careful of the rubber ring/seal. You only need to remove the intake pipe. We can determine wheter it has the hx40 turbine wheel or the hx35 turbine wheel wiith just the inducer measurement. I believe the h1e and h1c share NO compressor wheels.

All H1C turbos fit in an hx35 bep turbine housing. Not ALL H1Es fit. In fact, it's a 50/50 shot unless you have a wh1e. There's a significant difference in the spool. You could have a huge boost leak and it spool like an h1e and it really be an h1c. . . And be wondering why you don't get the same topend as other hx40 guys. . .

Oh man that's great LOL. I see 20psi by around 4200 in 3rd gear I think, on a stock manifold. To my knowledge I have no boost leaks since all were fixed a couple weeks ago. But who knows. I will try to measure the wheel so we can get to the bottom of this. I think I was flowing around 43lbs at around 19psi.

Unfortunatly you cant get the comp cover off while it is bolted up.. The 7 bolt block gets in the way. Atleast it does on mine with the fp race and a wh1c.. One thing i noticed with my wh1c is that the wheel has the regular nut on it, not the genuine holset nut.. I bought i used from the cumminforums. from a guy that seemed legit. I got it for 150 shipped.. No shaft play and it came kinda rusted up with the wastegate.. One thing i noticed is that the first letter in the assem is the first letter of the city. Its easy to see when on the china ones they will put the wrong letter on there.. That h1c doesn't have anything under the top to lines on the holset tag... weird...

Well either fake or not im going to run it LOL.. the way i see it is there is no way to take the hx35 fake center housing and put my wh1c comp cover on since mine is v-band.. unless they took it all apart and put the wh1c back plate on it but that is too much work LOL... Good luck

has anybody seen fake hy35s what do you think of mine

Attachments

• turbo5.jpg
    turbo5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,231
  • turbo1.jpg
    turbo1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 361
  • turbo3.jpg
    turbo3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 359
They're real.

The Chinese companies would never put together the time and research to build a turbo that fits only one model of one vehicle. That would be like them offering a 13G for auto 1G's and a 14B for all other DSM's....they'd be lucky to sell one 13G. Instead they offer the Evo III 16G, which fits all DSM's with a little adaptation. They like to build one part then adapt it to fit everything.

Let's play archeologist! So has anyone run one of the fake Holsets yet? Some people still think the Evo GT is a good turbo for the money and I'm curious if anyone thinks the same of these knockoffs? Any success with a BEP either?

edit:

Looking on ebay there's a guy selling HX35's but not calling them Holset's and linking to a farm supply store...
https://www.allpartsstore.com/ItemList.htm and search for A-R5010960AA. You'll have to enter a zipcode (any zip will do) and select a dealer to see prices which are around $400-$500. Can't be real but what are they?!?

Original Ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HX35...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts on these?

Last edited:
has anybody seen fake hy35s what do you think of mine

They're real.

The Chinese companies would never put together the time and research to build a turbo that fits only one model of one vehicle...

Ready to eat your words Justin?

CUMMINS Dodge TURBO Turbocharger HY35W 3599811 new | eBay

And for when that link dies.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Guess it was only a matter of time. Someone should forward that to Holset.

I thought I'd throw this up, I'm looking into this turbo, the seller wants $275 shipped, and it looks different than other hx35's I've seen, with the unpainted very clean compressor cover, it looks alot more like the knockoff holsets i've seen on ebay. Can anyone clarify as to whether this is genuine or not, and whether its worth the money they want?
thanks

Attachments

• holset frontside.jpg
    holset frontside.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 810
  • holset rear.jpg
    holset rear.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 800
I thought I'd throw this up, I'm looking into this turbo, the seller wants $275 shipped, and it looks different than other hx35's I've seen, with the unpainted very clean compressor cover, it looks alot more like the knockoff holsets i've seen on ebay. Can anyone clarify as to whether this is genuine or not, and whether its worth the money they want?
thanks

That looks like a genuine Holset to me. The tag looks genuine too. Maybe they painted the compressor cover. As long as it doesn't have any shaft play, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Definitely a Genuine turbo- that compressor cover looks to have been sprayed with some cheap chrome paint or something to brighten it up a bit....the cover on those turbos would have been a dull goldish-brown from the factory.

The price is fair if there's no need for a rebuild. That's right around what a *good* core is worth. I don't see any wheel damage or wetness on the turbine which would signal a leaking turbine seal.

That turbo (7-blade compressor, 12cm divided T3 turbine) is the right combo for big power with a HX35. :thumb:

Hey I just wanted to check with you guys to verify this is a qenuine hx40. The assy# is 3594289 and cust#3594290. It looks to be the real deal but I just want to know what you guys think. It came off a cummins generator and I got it off ebay for $461 shipped. I hope its real but it looks it to me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!g0E5o,VQpVnBOiLCGCsO!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!g0E5o,VQpVnBOiLCGCsO!~~60_58.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 201
  • $(KGrHqV,!iME5jq)(nrlBOiLEHcFY!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!iME5jq)(nrlBOiLEHcFY!~~60_58.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 164
  • $(KGrHqV,!iUE5h2v2i!DBOiLD6wi9w~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!iUE5h2v2i!DBOiLD6wi9w~~60_58.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 183
I had a buddy look into buying a cummins deseil a couple months ago..And his first thought was to upgrade the turbo..And of course he checked ebay..

He sent me the links to the upgrades he was going to buy for it..And I had to be a dick and tell him that they were all fake...Then I Sent him the links to real holsets..And told him to compare the links he sent me to the links I sent him..He was shocked..

He ended up not getting the truck..And just buying a 1500 ram 4x4..

Hey I just wanted to check with you guys to verify this is a qenuine hx40.
Genuine.

I had a buddy look into buying a cummins deseil a couple months ago..And his first thought was to upgrade the turbo..And of course he checked ebay..

He sent me the links to the upgrades he was going to buy for it..And I had to be a dick and tell him that they were all fake...Then I Sent him the links to real holsets..And told him to compare the links he sent me to the links I sent him..He was shocked..

He ended up not getting the truck..And just buying a 1500 ram 4x4..

HA ha ha..Well I'm no turbo expert like you are justin..But I could definatly see differences in real holsets and knockoffs..And I hate knockoffs, cause I blew one up..And now I have no drivable car..

New user here, this great thread brought me to this site!

I'm in the market for a pair of HX35's or older H1C's. I came across these on flea-bay.

Genuine or not? They don't look like normal dodge truck HX35's but they look legit to me. Correct clamps on the wastegate hose, correct nuts on the shaft, and no machining on the compressor inlet. But they still just look...sketchy...

NEW HOLSET HX35W TURBOCHARGER - PART NUMBER 4035592 | eBay

alibaba.com is known for being a copy-cat company. They do it all the time with fake MP3 players and other electronics, and ultimately if you buy from them and then re-sell here in the US you can get kicked with some pretty big copyright infringement fines. I would steer clear of anything made in china to be honest, alot of the crap they make over there is exactly that, crap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back