The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is that a flex section on the recirculation tube? Interesting, I've never seen it done that way yet.

It'a actually a good idea so that the wastegate tube will not break from the force of the gate itself. They sell that unit with a 4 bolt 46mm or 44mm hook up where all you have to do is bolt a wastegate on and your set. From the looks of the picture he welded on a 44mm vband insteand. Looks good :thumb:

That's actually a 38mm v-band gate.

o2 housing looks like the one Slippi mentioned off ebay...but looks like they cut the flanges and welded v band for the wastegate

Yes it is a Genuine Holset...Bad ass set up By the way

china will make anything

Yes they will :)

$95 to the door! Then I welded the W/G vbands on, and the Vband on th outlet is too poor so I'm chopping that off and putting a new nicely machined vband on.

Yes, that is a brand new style Tial MS-V 38mm.

Anyways when my setup is all done (about 1-2weeks) I'll try to get some pics in the Holset results thread. E85, HX40, V3 link, we'll see :)

I just bought this Hx35 from theturbotrader.com where everyone sais to get them from and im wondering if this is a fake. The inlet on the compressor housing is machine like I havent seen before. Can anyone tell me if I got a Fake?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:confused:

Attachments

• l_dd25ddddd29e4c59a6c826c4e7cce56d.jpg
    l_dd25ddddd29e4c59a6c826c4e7cce56d.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 796
There are new HX40's currently for sale on eBay that are NOT authentic Holset turbos, yet are being sold as such. Even the box is printed with the Holset logo- the Chinese are getting ridiculous. It's getting to the point where you're not going to know what you're buying anymore.

Here's the listing in question:

eBay Motors: DODGE HX40 TURBO HOLSET, T3 HX40W (item 270360119968 end time Mar-24-09 13:47:56 PDT)

Look at that buy-it-now price! Has to be a real Holset. Scroll through the listing....everything looks kosher, right? Wrong.

Let your mouse pointer lie dormant on one of the photos in the listing....you'll see they're named "hol.jpg picture by xspower". That threw up the first red flag- I decided to dig a little deeper.

Take a close look at the last photo- a closeup of the tag. Focus on how "Holset" is written on the tag. If you compare this to an actual Holset turbo printed tag, you'll see the tag on the turbo in the listing appears to have been written by a 5-year-old with a blue Sharpie....no doubt a way to get under the copyright laws for the logo:

Fake Holset tag:

Genuine Holset tag:

Take notice how the part number on the authetic Holset tag appear to be "peened" on the tag....that's how my genuine HX40 is as well. The XS Power HX40 copy's part number is engraved.

I dug deeper yet and googled the quote on the box- "Breathing life into the machine". I was shocked that the second article that came up was a lawsuit, dated 3/6/09, filed by Holset, and finding trademark infringement by Tongtai (some ripoff China company). Shocking, isn't it?

The eBay listing even offers a 6-month factory warranty! How is that possible? You'll send this turbo back to Holset when it dies and they'll literally laugh in your face.

I honestly can't see how XS Power / SS Autochrome is getting away with ripping off people by blatantly selling chinese knockoff parts that are made to look like the item they're copying- right down to the tag. Take, for instance, the TiAL knockoff wastegates being sold on the first page of SS Autochrome's website:

Turbo Kits, Turbo Manifolds, Import Performance Products, SSAutochrome Inc.

It's one thing to sell a chinese copy at a fraction of the price of the real thing, but putting the companies name on it and selling it at a few dollars less than the real deal is literally robbing the uneducated consumer.

Guys- beware of what you're buying these days. I don't want any of this bullshit being sold to my peers.

Wow! That is one hell of a catch! Someone needs to alert ebay. They are putting the high buy it now price on it with no reserve to catch some unsuspecting people.:nono:

LOL... i was just looking at these today, what are the odds. I was thinking to my self.. Damn these are super expensive compared to all the other Hx40's I see on there, I wonder why?.. I guess this explains it!

Also, this isn't the only add... they have like 10 of them going right now

Also!! If you look at the tag where they printed where it was made. The fake tag has a comma between Huddersfiled and England. The Genuine doesn't

i reported them

interesting - need to make sure everyone is aware of this.
No reserve auction, maybe if no one bids, someone can pick one up super cheap and report back. Also if the seller can only get $1-2 for his fake turbos, he won't be selling them very long.

Wow. If they were sued before, how are they getting the rights to print the logo? Damn Chinese. This is garbage.

Just because the manufacturer makes the turbo doesn't mean they make the box ;)

Don't blame the Chinese, they are just making what Americans & Europeans pay them to make. Blame the guy selling it on ebay or XS Power for making the product.

Don't blame the Chinese, they are just making what Americans & Europeans pay them to make. Blame the guy selling it on ebay or XS Power for making the product.

Yes blame the Chinese and the companies that outsource all of their work to China. That is exactly what the Chinese have been doing for the last 20 years. An American company outsources manufacturing of a product so they don't have to pay American worker. The next day a plant springs up next door to the first and starts making the Chinese version of the same thing, Violating all patents and trade marks.

Bravo, Justin...

You got eagle's eye !!!
Thanks, man. I suppose I learned something from staring at these things the past five years!

The next day a plant springs up next door to the first and starts making the Chinese version of the same thing, Violating all patents and trade marks.
How true. I don't know who the theif would be in this case....the person building the product and knowingly putting genuine branding on it, or the person placing the order for the product asking for it to be branded as such.

They both are criminals/ thieves. I would assume that every product the guy sold isn't legit.

Thank god i have a legit Holset.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back