The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the compressor outlet clocked at about 2 o'clock (looking at the inlet, 12 is straight up at the exhaust mani)?

About 2 o'clock, there isn't room for an outlet anywhere else with the radiator so close. 1Gs have the radiator much further away, so the options are greater.

If I clocked my AGP 60-1 compressor cover as much as you did on that Holset, I'd have to resort to some sort of hacking as well.

Will slim line fans help your compressor fitment, in your estimation?

I just got through with an hx40 install on my 95 awd, with the compressor clocked at about 4:30-5 o'clock it didnt require nearly as much beating of the waterpipe. I can get some pics in a few days. ( the hx40 has the same size housing) I don't have my passenger side radiator fan as it wouldnt fit with my old i/c piping. Haven't had any overheating problems with 100+ temps last summer though. I'll have to check and see if it will fit now with a little hacking.

note: those are with stock fans

tmizer said:
Will slim line fans help your compressor fitment, in your estimation?

No, the limitation is the compressor outlet and the radiator itself.

An update on my Hx40. So far I'm impressed with the spoolup with this thing. A few details about the car:
7bolt 4g64
Eagle H beams
Wiseco 8.1-8.3:1
Stock 2g head and cams
2.5" DP No cat, 3" catback
Evo3 O2.
Homemade MBC
Internally gated Bullseye housing, fabbed up my 16g actuator.
It will hold as low as 10-11 psi on the internal.
On the highway in 5th I can get 10psi by 3200 rpm, its obviously MUCH slower to spool than my 16g was but not nearly as slow as I was expecting. In 3rd its more like 4k spool. So far I'm only running RC550's with this turbo. I'm keeping it down also since I don't have a logger yet ( I know stupid, no flaming) On the butt dyno it feels like it pulls just about the same as the 16g at 17psi. Its a nice linear pull through the powerband rather than basically dying by 5k or so. EGTs stay MUCH lower than with the 16g.
I'm going to try 14psi tonight but not much more than that until I can get some bigger injectors. Got the turbo first because it was in great shape for an excellent price and my 16g was on the way out and horribly undersized. The thing sounds badass, at 2-3k get on it a little in an alley and let off you can hear it spooling down. Sounds like a diesel.

Thats because the blades on the compressor are designed for a diesel... they were never intended to be used in a gasoline designed vehicle. i guess it still works fairly well.

if you think about it... i have a GT42 that is mainly designed for semi trucks, marine motors, and whatnot.. but they work great on gasoline engines.. i guess its the same idea.

except for the fact that the GT42 makes the HX-40 look like a 14b. :thumb:

Actually, all the popular upgrades for DSM's were originally designed for diesel applications, with one small exception.

50 trim: Primarily used in the Garrett TA34 drop-in for the Cummins Diesel 6BT model.

60 trim: Mostly used in Ford 7.8L Diesel Brazilian-built six-cylinder engines.

60-1: Original use was in the TC44 (basically a large T04B) unit, on Detroit Diesel 8.2L V-8 engines for truck and marine applications. Oddly, the O.E. choice for Bentley Mulsanne S passenger car as well.

There has never been a garret turbo on any cummins, ever. All holsets, H series. :|

Here's a picture of an Hx50 on an Evo. These were taken early on in the build.

Edit: File is too large. I'll shrink them and try again.

how is that setup? It looks like the supercharger is spooling the turbo. I hope he has a way to get exhaust heat into his turbine housing.

I would think that the engine IS spinning the supercharger and thus, the extra exhaust energy provided by the "bigger displacement" is spooling the large HX-50 turbo.

I agree. That would be an awesome setup. Anyone read the TURBO magazine articles about the Twincharged MR-6? (mr2 with a v6 swap) That thing would have been awesome on the street or track.
monotalonawd said:
I would think that the engine IS spinning the supercharger and thus, the extra exhaust energy provided by the "bigger displacement" is spooling the large HX-50 turbo.

What are you guys using for filters because there is just no room for a normal filter.
=Jason-

>Thats because the blades on the compressor are designed for a diesel... they were never intended to be used in a gasoline designed vehicle.

BS. They spool slow because they have an obnoxiously huge turbine wheel for our application. The compressor wheel of a HX35 isn't physically much larger or heavier than a 50 trim, but the exhaust wheel is MUCH larger than and of the common ones used in turbos that work well.

As for a filter, look for Dodge filters or modifications that Dodge guys do. A stock Dodge airbox won't fit, but part of the intake hose and a filter for a Vortec 350 just might ;)

Ok, so I've read the entire thread (some parts 3-4 times) and I have a couple of questions.

1) Did we ever figure out that we can truly bolt the H1C to the HX35 adaptor from Bullseye Power?

2) if I used a HX40 adaptor from BP and an HX40 turbo off of Ebay, what's a way to make this turbo spool faster? From what I understand, you would have to make a smaller A/R housing. Is there other factors that I need to consider? Example. If I added some material to the housing to make it an 8cm or a 7cm housing, will that make the turbo spool faster? If not, what else can I do?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Chris

PS - Great thread!!!

BS. They spool slow because they have an obnoxiously huge turbine wheel for our application. The compressor wheel of a HX35 isn't physically much larger or heavier than a 50 trim, but the exhaust wheel is MUCH larger than and of the common ones used in turbos that work well.

actually you couldnt be more wrong about this either, the HX35 has a turbine wheel with basically the same inducer and exducer diameters as a t3 stage 3 wheel. and the bullsey housing is about a .48 a/r.

anyways, thought you guys might like this, here is my new HY35 just about ready to go in my 2002 wrx.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Boxer, what did you use use for you turbo piping, right off of the turbo outlet? I am running something temporary for now. I need to make something final with a v-band clamp.

Shawn

So, can anyone confirm that the H1C turbos bolt into the HX35 housing, and any modifications needed to do so?

Chris.

i ground the lip off for the V band discharge, because there was not any room in my enginebay for the Vband elbow I bought. heres a pic
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

that lip is an OEM part that is meant for that outlet. I spend 80 bucks on it.

If youd like to buy it then im cool with just what I payed.

comes with the Vband clamp and elbow with an O ring for seal. Its a damn heavy duty part.

Thanks, I was wondering if you had something off a Holset or not. I called a dealer and they wanted $22 for a v-band, that's about how much I found it for elsewhere. I'm going to get a v-band, and then make my hard pipe soon. I have to do some fabbing. Thanks for the info though. Let us know how you like the holset, hy-35 on your scooby! I was impressed with the spoolup on my 2.6l Mitsu, Starion.

Shawn

its all back together with the new turbo, and I fired it up for the first time about an hour ago. just letting it idle for now, Ill drive her tomorrow.

Im using a 2.4 liter motor to spool it, so it should also be really impressive.

Ill be going for about 30 psi boost on 116 octane, 25 psi or so on 100 and 20 on pump. however, 100 is about 20 cents cheaper than 91, so Im thinking ill be on that most of the time.

I know this is a little off topic, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. . . .

I just bought my first DSM about a month ago, but up until then for about the last 2-3 years I've been playing with my Cummins Dodge. With a stock hx-35 it made 430HP and 870 ft/lbs's at the wheels!!! These hx-35's are bullit proof. My truck has 270,000 miles on it, and the turbo has been run above 40-psi for nearly it's whole life! So if anybody's worried about durability, don't be. As for airflow, a hx-35 will support a stock cummins 5.9L motor to 2500RPM with no problem, with some quick and dirty math, that's 3 times the engine size of a stock 2.0L, which means 3 times more RPM support (2500 x 3=7500 perfect) Also just to give you some info my truck is a automatic, so it's hard to judge spool, but some other stick trucks I have driven spool around 1200~1400 or so. Again with the quick math that leads to 3600~4200. So those #'s others are claiming seem to be justifiable. On a last note, since these turbos are very durable. and diesel guy's want to get rid of them for more power, they are redily availible used. Check out www.tdr1.com Click website features, and then Click on classifieds. . . there are usually a bunch in there for cheap!!!! There are two on there right now for less then $300.

Hope this helps. . . hmmm . . .no I wonder if I should try my hx35/hx40 hybrid I just got for my deisel on my DSM?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back