The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
low to me is 1.0-1.2 bar At High boost 1.5 to 1.8 it performed VERY well but we could not achieve this on pump gas. Ummm I get the impression you guy's think im beating up on the Holset.....dont I'm just sharing MY personal experiance's. Oh and David? Eric say's hi!.
cheers!!!

He's all about the 35/40 hybrid these days LOL I seem to remember the hx40 flowing something like 70.08lbs/m? sound about right to you? I think I remember Eric telling me about somebody making like 500whp at 20psi???

Yeah, he told me where to get the hybrids. We may offer them but the cost is higher than just the straight 35's and 40's. Holset really wont come out and print a CFM or lbs/min. Our rep quietly metioned 70-75 depending on which part number you order. Mark Wohler in Atlanta put down 549 at the wheels at 20 psi, just about every mod under the sun. We tried to talk him in to making another pull or two at higher boost but he's not willing to take any chances. After sinking all that money in to his set up I can't blame him. I think Eric ran real good with his HX-35, considering he didn't spend much time tuning.

Here's a couple pictures of Mark's 2g.

Attachments

• Mike.jpg
    Mike.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,930
  • mike_promid_hoodrims.JPG
    mike_promid_hoodrims.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 3,884
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,863
This burns my ass.

I used to wonder about using a Holset turbo on my car. It was mentioned on one of the Boards by somebody and he got ribbed big time about it. So I kind of forgat about it. Now I see I was right all along and was swayed by abunch of numbskulls too blind to do the research or even consider it. Well Im sold on a Holset now.

Do you need to use a bullseye housing or can you use the stock one? I realize the bolting flanges would be different but would it be possible to make adapter plates Like one would make for a tdo6 mitsu to bolt on to our cars?

On a side note, the WHP jumped from 521 to 549 when he switched from a ported 2g manifold to that equal-length tubular header.

I dont know of any other way to bolt a Holset to a DSM without a Bullseye housing. Even if you could use a Holset turbine housing I dont think there's an A/R small enough.

I too have been looking on the bullseye website for a while now. I just came across it one day looking for a bigger wastegate flapper for a friend. Ever since I have been considering the hx40 for my car. I have a 1g with a 1g big rod 8.5 2g pistons combo and was wondering what the spool time would be. Now I see some answer and I like what I see. Just wandering what injectors people are going with using this turbo.

1029TSG said:
Yeah, he told me where to get the hybrids. We may offer them but the cost is higher than just the straight 35's and 40's. Holset really wont come out and print a CFM or lbs/min. Our rep quietly metioned 70-75 depending on which part number you order. Mark Wohler in Atlanta put down 549 at the wheels at 20 psi, just about every mod under the sun. We tried to talk him in to making another pull or two at higher boost but he's not willing to take any chances. After sinking all that money in to his set up I can't blame him. I think Eric ran real good with his HX-35, considering he didn't spend much time tuning.
Yea Eric's car REALLY liked the eprom I made for it that helped alot with the light tuning.
Well I think I'm gonna do a 35/40 hybrid here soon and see how it does I already have the hx-35 housing so I'm considering it...a lot :D

It should be a big step up from your 20g or 50 trim you're running now.

20G's gone, man that was a fun street turbo :D Got a 60-1 now more fun to come
however I figure the 58lb/m to 65-70lb/m will be a fun jump eh?
Take care!

what type of fuel are we talking about using with a holset turbo. could you put 93 pump in, or would you have to switch to race gas?

At 15 psi, it should support around 400 HP. That would be relatively safe on pump gas. Just watch your knock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSI TSI said:
This burns my ass.

I used to wonder about using a Holset turbo on my car. It was mentioned on one of the Boards by somebody and he got ribbed big time about it. So I kind of forgat about it. Now I see I was right all along and was swayed by abunch of numbskulls too blind to do the research or even consider it. Well Im sold on a Holset now.

Do you need to use a bullseye housing or can you use the stock one? I realize the bolting flanges would be different but would it be possible to make adapter plates Like one would make for a tdo6 mitsu to bolt on to our cars?

That sounds like my story. Eearly in the summer, i was just thinking of off-the wall things, and It hit me to research the turbos that come stock on the big diesel trucks. I got to looking, and I found out that alot of people with dodge cummins trucks absolutely loved their holset turbos. More research, and I started to get familiar with specs. I hit up ebay a few times to see what they went for, and it was like a kid in a candy store!! I was so shocked to see these turbos going for 150-200$, especially considering their potential. I read some on here, and like it was any surprise, everyone clowned on them. But I was doing some web browsing one night, and I found this little "Customer" part of bullseye's website with someone describing their hx35 on their dsm. I saw the bullseye holset turbine housing and I was sold!

I've been researching alot lately, and the older H1E turbo shares the same turbine shaft as the HX40. H1E's go for about 75 bucks and are almost identical to the hx40. I'm hoping to use some christmas money to buy either an H1C or an H1E. I'm going with the H1 series because they are the same thing as the HX series, except they are a few years older and no one thinks to want them as much.

defrag010 said:
That sounds like my story. Eearly in the summer, i was just thinking of off-the wall things, and It hit me to research the turbos that come stock on the big diesel trucks. I got to looking, and I found out that alot of people with dodge cummins trucks absolutely loved their holset turbos. More research, and I started to get familiar with specs. I hit up ebay a few times to see what they went for, and it was like a kid in a candy store!! I was so shocked to see these turbos going for 150-200$, especially considering their potential. I read some on here, and like it was any surprise, everyone clowned on them. But I was doing some web browsing one night, and I found this little "Customer" part of bullseye's website with someone describing their hx35 on their dsm. I saw the bullseye holset turbine housing and I was sold!

I've been researching alot lately, and the older H1E turbo shares the same turbine shaft as the HX40. H1E's go for about 75 bucks and are almost identical to the hx40. I'm hoping to use some christmas money to buy either an H1C or an H1E. I'm going with the H1 series because they are the same thing as the HX series, except they are a few years older and no one thinks to want them as much.

But what do the compressor side of things look like on those turbos? Do they still have the MAP groove?

Ok. Let's say I decide I want to buy a HX-35w off my buddies diesel that he recently totalled. (Flipped it). I get the kit from Bullseye's website. I add the internal wastegate. What is that wastegate set for? Also, will it be installed on the housing when it's shipped?

I'm going to guess this turbo is not coolant cooled either? Wouldn't that put all the cooling effect onto the oil system, which would need an upgraded oil cooler to keep the temperatures low.

The HX-35W should have an actuator already on it. However, some modifications will have to be made to make it work as mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm not sure what spring pressure the stock Holset actuator is, but Eric was able to dial in his boost from the mid teen's on up. Yes, you'll have to block off your water lines just like most DSM turbo upgrades. This will not significantly affect the engine oil temperature.

In the post #63 it was said that Holeset turbos have 360 race bearing system. Can smb. confirm this since I 've read somewhere that it's 270. That was one of my concerns about these turbos. Thanks.

In the 8 years that I have been in the turbo business, I have yet to see a Holset 270 degree thrust bearing in a HX-35 or 40. However, they may come in some of their smaller units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back