The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great question. That option is not available in the United States, however we went ahead and ordered 3 slip fit outlets for the HX-35 and they will be here in February. Since these turbos run such high boost on their OEM applications nearly all the Holset turbochargers use the V-Band clamp to eliminate the intercooler pipe blowing off.

Does the lb rating on the wastegate refer to its minimum pressure or its strength?

What is the lb rating on the bullseye one?

I want to be able to run 10 psi of boost on this turbo!

-Geoff

TurboGeoff said:
Does the lb rating on the wastegate refer to its minimum pressure or its strength?

What is the lb rating on the bullseye one?

I want to be able to run 10 psi of boost on this turbo!

-Geoff
the # I gave you on the holset was the min pressure.
Why would you want to run 10 psi on a turbo made to 30+psi

Because i may need to turn it down at times to keep from speeding, etc.

I think that im just going to go with an external wastegate, i did the math and it would b $40 cheaper than goign with the internal.

-geoff

TurboGeoff said:
Because i may need to turn it down at times to keep from speeding, etc.

I think that im just going to go with an external wastegate, i did the math and it would b $40 cheaper than goign with the internal.

-geoff

were you counting on smoging that car? external gate in CA is a no go.

My smog guy doesnt care whats under my hood as long as what comes out the tailpipe passes emissions.

bigtim-x said:
it has the groove but thet just don't go all the wat through. I took the compressor cover off.
there are 3284902343902 different variations within all of the holset turbos.

1029TSG said:
Here's one using a stock actuator. His MBC ran his to 30+, pegged the gauge out and thought it would be best to let off.
Thats funny...I helped put that turbo on that car :p
Yea just to let you know you have to staight BEAT the hell out of the water pipe to clear the hx-35 compressor housing in there. I endud up just unbolting the water pipe and sliding it up then we safety wired it in..LOL ahh good times good times, oh yeah and if you look closely at the wastagate actuator thats our custom cordboar spacer to get the angle on the actuator close enough so we could bold it up LOL.
Hell I took those pic's :thumb:

You must be a friend of Eric's, I heard he sold the car, turbo or both. He said the car felt real good and ran some good 1/8th miles.

Yup I am the guy who helped Eric..er I still do now it's an Aristo swap in his 03 GS430...Trust me the talon was esier. Yea the turbo performed well I must say, Like I said I still have a spare housing waiting for an hx-35/40 hybrid...someday.
Well I am by no means saying anything bad about these turbo's just what I personally have seen/driven/done. The 1/8th mile time he posted was quick I was there...however A 16G I also tuned for a friend of Eric's and mine did post better 1/8th mile times..the exact same day/time/event. All I'm saying is this turbo is a freeway high boost killer that's where it lives dont expect the low boost power a 50trim/20G has that we have all come to love.
Oh and When are you going to create a new housing that can adapt the later CHRA holset's? Eric and I had four of them waiting for the housing's..needless to say we had to do a little scrounging to get the bolt on CHRA. Which is why we had to beat the water pipe to death. The later turbo(v-band) has a phisically smaller compressor cover, the erlier turbo(bolt-on) has a larger cover making it a wee bit trickier to install.
Just curious.
Bryan.

I'm gonna talk to Eric later today I'll ask him exactly what years the turbo's that are v-band came off of. No I'm sure it was still an hx-35??? I could be wrong it happened once before :p

1029TSG said:
You need a housing for the HY-35?

Yes. Please!!! :D

The investment would be very low to incorporate this change. You've already developed the part of the housing that is internally vital. You'd just be changing the one face of the housing.

The range of Holset's that can use it would greatly increase. I've got four setting here looking for a home. I'd be looking to buy 2 right away.

The change would be inexpensive if only the machining print had to be modified. If it turns out to be a casting change then the cost of a new or modified pattern would be far too expensive to do for only a few housings.

1029TSG said:
The change would be inexpensive if only the machining print had to be modified. If it turns out to be a casting change then the cost of a new or modified pattern would be far too expensive to do for only a few housings.

What type of casting do you use?

From what I see on the internet, there are just as many HY's available as there are HX's. You'd sell more than just a few. Like I said, I've got four setting here with two needing immediate homes. Apparently, tsi20gawd also had four and was in a similar situation. I know there are more out there that had or picked up a HY in error. Or can only find a decent HY and not a HX.

Build it and they will come.

We will certainly look in to it at our next engineering meeting in January.

Is your housing you offer for the Mitsubishi turbos, Garretts and Holset the same casting?

1029TSG said:

Ok, so it's the same housing with different machining processes done to adapt the differnent cartridges to the housing.

Given the Mitsubishi turbo cartridges are attached to the housing via a V-band clamp, logic only says that you're some CNC code away from widening your product line to include the HY model Holset's. :D

Best case scenario, yes. However, if there's not enough machine stock in the raw casting to accomodate the HY series then a casting change will be needed. Big $$$$$

tsi20gawd said:
Well I am by no means saying anything bad about these turbo's just what I personally have seen/driven/done. The 1/8th mile time he posted was quick I was there...however A 16G I also tuned for a friend of Eric's and mine did post better 1/8th mile times..the exact same day/time/event. All I'm saying is this turbo is a freeway high boost killer that's where it lives dont expect the low boost power a 50trim/20G has that we have all come to love.

What are you calling low and high boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back