The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset hx40 makes 685hp and 584tq

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 1995-1996 didn't have a cas box on the head where the 1g cars and 2Gb cars have theirs. OK I'm not specific enough. My bad ;). . . Click. 1997-1999 cars still have that unit. I can't see the difference. I'm sure the OP will respond.

Yep, I like picking on the technicalities!

Here's a few pictures of a 2gb (non-adjustable) CAS.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151751965-post348.html

You can see my 1g (adjustable) CAS here.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/6/5/img_7145___copy.jpg

Is this no longer on the bolt-on housing? Was this on the above 8blade hx40?
Very good numbers!

Why is it that every dyno chart I see, there is the useless unit of MPH on the horizontal axis.
Why not put something more useful like RPM?

Here is the chart with rpm vs my pervious turbo gt3076r @30psi

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So these numbers were accomplished with an hx40 that has the smaller 10 blade turbine and a standard 8 blade compressor, or a larger 60mm 7blade compressor? Also, do you think the 12 blade turbine will make for a laggier setup than the 10 blade?

That is a silly comment to make. :confused: Look at the chart posted and see where it makes that peak power. :thumb:

A stroker with those cams making 100 more hp than ft/lbs of torque doesn't apear to flowing so poorly that it is choking to me. Furthermore, any 4 clyinder making 680+ hp is flowing pretty damn well in my book. Only way to really know is to put a pressure transduced in the exhaust manifold and see.

A stroker with those cams making 100 more hp than ft/lbs of torque doesn't apear to flowing so poorly that it is choking to me. Furthermore, any 4 clyinder making 680+ hp is flowing pretty damn well in my book. Only way to really know is to put a pressure transduced in the exhaust manifold and see.

I can garentee at least 50WHP can be made after a nice T3 or T4 setup. when i had the bep bolt-on housing the EWG dump was the loudest dump i have ever heard, since i have gone to a T3 setup i can barely here the same EWG dump. The dump is mounted in the same location on the manifold that it was in before. The difference is the pre-turbo backpressure is greatly reduced on the T3 setup, thus a more pump gas friendly choice:thumb:

I can garentee at least 50WHP can be made after a nice T3 or T4 setup. when i had the bep bolt-on housing the EWG dump was the loudest dump i have ever heard, since i have gone to a T3 setup i can barely here the same EWG dump. The dump is mounted in the same location on the manifold that it was in before. The difference is the pre-turbo backpressure is greatly reduced on the T3 setup, thus a more pump gas friendly choice:thumb:

For sure a t3, or t4 setup will make more power up top. I was hearing that the bolt on housing produced a 16g type power band, falling off hard up top at high power levels, looks like it does taper, but not horribly. For my goals the bolt on was my best choice. The hx40 in the bolt on housing seems to produce power similar to some way more expensive t3 turbos, with better spool. For an all out drag car the larger housings are the best choice, i drive my car on the street and wanted quicker spool. Good to know that my quicker spooling choice is capable of 680+ hp.

A larger volume twin volute T3 or T4 style housing (for example the standard holset 16cm^2 or 19cm^2) should spool just as quickly as a much smaller single volute housing (for example the .55 BEP bolt-on) while maintaining higher flow up top and providing better part-throttle response. I haven't seen any examples of DSM's with twin-scroll t4 setups using turbo's similar to an HX40, but hopefully I'll finally have some dyno numbers next week that should help prove or disprove the theory since my setup is nearly identical to Badman's with the exception of my ts t4 manifold and hotside.

did wayne do a conservative tune, because no disrespect but i think the numbers look a little low for 44psi compared other dsms.....

He's running a very small turbine housing for that horsepower that does not have a good radiused entry to the blades like a Garrett, IHI, BW, Holset, FP turbine housing. That is where the need for more boost is probably coming from. He's JUST bumped above the highest compressor rpm curve on the map, which is 133K.

Awesome numbers man! I have been following your stuff for a while.
Couple questions. What gear was this dyno pull done in? And have you ported the bep housing at all?
I bet the video would have been BAD ass! Props.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back