The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Headlight Conversion question.. [Merged 11-8] 1Ga pop up headlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badboyr66 said:
1. As far as swapping the wiring... are they the same color code?

2. Did the headlights actually bolt in? or did they require drilling?

1. the wires on the 91 that i did the swap on were all the same colors as those of the 92-94 plug except for one. i belive it was the low beam wire had a different stripe color. i have written here the two pages of my chilton manual that have the wiring diagrams for the lights, just hav to figure it out from there. page 6-147 has the wiring for 1991 headlights, 6-203 has it for 92 vehichle which is the same as 93 and 94 shown later in the wiring diagram section. I dont have the book with me, its at work, or id look up the exact colors right away. by the way this is the chiltons 1990-1993 eclipse repair manual, not the 1990-1998...just so no one gets confused.

2. some drilling is required. a guy i know claims he did not have to drill on his car to make them work but i had to drill some holes for the car i did. it was nothing major though, simple as setting the light in place and drilling them where they were needed, then use the right size bolt and put a nut on the bottom since you will not have the threads as the car would have stock

do a search for the "Chicklet Mod" Doing it will not cause the lights to automatically pop up when you turn on the headlights, rather you have to use the switch on the dash tomake them go up and down. This way you can leave them down to look good, and then pop them up to see good!

The Chicklet is a small white plug with 3 wires going into it located on the passenger side under the kick panel. Mine was taped behind a major wire bundle so it took me a bit of hunting to find it. it is about the size of a chicklet hence the name.... Pullng it out of its socket will disable the auto up feature, and mak it manual. you can also put them up part way for the sleepy eye look.

:laser:

niiice,I like the pop ups,I think it does give our cars character,but that pic with the closed one looks hot 2.I've alway wondered about this mod.thanks for the info.nuthing like popin the lights at a hotie at the light , huh?;)

Us Canadians have Daytime Running Lights. The lights are on when the ignition is on, period. So if you're worried about melting the lens or something, don't.

You could just get the front end off a 92-94 and put it on your car so you have the fixed headlights. I've seen one like this but I like my pop-ups!

Here is a 1g without pop-ups :p ROFL
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had my lights set to not pop-up last spring and it was a pain trying to see at night. OMG

I found these pics of a 91 talon with the headlights converted

pics courtesy of girlpower92

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

or if the pics don't work just look at her profile

couldnt you just go the cheap n dirty route and remove the relay for the "headlight doors" or whatever it is listed as on the relay box next to the battery?i tried this a couple days ago and hated it,aside from losing what makes a 1g look great its near impossible to see at night even with the brights on(being so low and having to shine through the lens you can use the brights and nobody will mind.or at least nobody seemed to mind the few days i had mine like this)

ok i wanna get a carbon fiber hood for my car and its really hard to find one for the pop up lights.... so i was wondering if anyone has converted their pop up lighted car to normal headlights? it should be pretty easy but would you have to change the wiring around because of the way the pop ups were wired?

plenty of people have done the swap because people like the rear end of the 1ga better then the 1gb. im pretty sure you just unplug the pop up head lights and connect the new 1gb head lights.

eclipse :dsm: talon :talon: laser :laser:

You'll also have to replace both fenders along with the hood and possibly the front bumper cover.

I've looked for hoods on my 90 and found plenty, just not many on eBay. I haven't saved any of the links because I'm doing mechanical uprades first, but do some searching and you'll find them.

Just remember, chicks did things that pop up! (kidding)

Not this again

plenty of people have done the swap because people like the rear end of the 1ga better then the 1gb

People do it to get rid of the pop ups...

im pretty sure you just unplug the pop up head lights and connect the new 1gb head lights.

No.
The wiring is different, not to mention the lights will not even fit until the 1ga fenders and bumper are removed

You'll also have to replace both fenders along with the hood and possibly the front bumper cover

Bumper cover MUST be replaced

Andyautosport sells a hood for the 1ga, might want to check there.

Do a search for 1ga to 1gb conversion. There are alot of threads about it, as well as a few where I listed every part you, including re wiring the headlights. I did once post the wiring colors although that may be harder to find. If I remember, I will look them up tonight and post them here.

92-94 parts -
headlights
side markers
plug with pigtail for lights
hood
fenders

Is there a headlight conversion for a 91' eclipse gsx so that its a fixed headlight and not a flip up?

I just did a search for "headlight conversion" in thread titles only and turned up 36 threads. If none of those are any help, post back and someone who's done it might be able to help you.

EDIT: Nice job, blackbyrd. You snuck one in on me!

i'm looking for sumthing different though. have the lights in the same area but have the lights down a little with a plastic cover over the top and in front. if that makes any sense....
oh well, i might just t ry one guys idea and disable them while they are dow so that they shine through the front.
thanks anyways

I just got rid of my pop-ups in my car, and am thinking of what to do for headlights now. I bout driving lights, but am thinking possibly another method, such as this. cutting out the clear lens next to the turn signal, and mounting rectangle headlights in the place. Do anybody know of other stock headlights that would fit the 4"(guessing the size) space, and be long enough. I like how that one guy mounted s13 headlights in the space, but those seem way to tall and would require work be done to the hood and/or fender.

I fit fog lights where the turn signals were and let them shine through the lens. It works all right, but the lens diffuses the light quite a bit. Having good running lights seperate is pretty much necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back