The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Pop up headlights 1Ga to 1Gb conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refundbiz

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2004
Mattawan, Michigan
I own a 90 laser turbo and was wondering how hard it would be to convert this car to a non pop up headlight front end? Anyone tried this? Any insight would be appreciated.

Practically everyone says 90-91 > 92-94, but you've gotta admit, the 92-94 hood headlight fender and bumper cover arrangement makes what is otherwise the same body style look about 10 years newer. I JUST got a '93 laser front end today to try to retrofit on my '91. Hood, fenders, headlights, corners, and bumper covers were about $200, but they're a rare find in salvage yards and you're not likely to find a price like that every day. But to me it's well worth $200 to get rid of my rusty 90-91 hood and fenders and get those popups out before they break. Nothing looks as bad as a car with stuck popups...

That much is true. My pop-ups are kinda stuck right now. they go up, but not down. I broke the switch in the guage bezel :(

Now i have to manually crank them down. No big deal, but it takes 5 minutes of my time.

Has anyone _done_ this conversion? I've read on here that there's many changes to be made, the underlying mounting points and such are all different.

See post below and keep in mind that you'll have to change all the mount brackets that are welded in, rewire the harness with the different plugs, and change hood / fenders / bumper cover / headlights / corner lights. Not an evening project.

I pulled my headlights for comparison and took pictures. Its between my '91 Talon (white) and a '93 Laser (blue). The photo gallery is at http://www.89proof.com/pics/cars/talon/newpics/comparison/index.html and shows the differences and similarities in the radiator support and headlamp mounting. Looks like its feasable but you'd better be really serious about pulling it off and know what you're doing. I'll try to put together a photo tutorial as it goes. Looks like my 91 popup motors, popup assemblies, headlamp bars, corner lenses, fenders, hood, bumper cover, and grill insert are all for sale now... Would have more to post but the torpedo heater is out of gas and its too cold to be messing with this tonite.

Originally posted by TheTSiGuy
That much is true. My pop-ups are kinda stuck right now. they go up, but not down. I broke the switch in the guage bezel :(

Now i have to manually crank them down. No big deal, but it takes 5 minutes of my time.

You can get replacements from a site sponsor, Mitsubishi Graveyard (mitsubishigraveyard.com). He had time for $38 a pair at one time.

Two advantages to the 1Gb. 1) no popups... just one less thing to go wrong in the long run. 2) availability and selection of carbon hoods.

If it really matters to you that much, I would just buy a 1Gb and sell the 1Ga. Personally, I'm broke so I'm sticking with the 1Ga. Looks be damned.

There's a dude near me that has the lights, and it looks like it has lights under the pop ups too?

It's also a red car with a blue bumper. (Such a great combo)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back