The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Headlight Conversion question.. [Merged 11-8] 1Ga pop up headlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdst29

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
Pennsylvania
hey guys,
i saw somewhere online of some guy who made it so that his pop up headlights did NOT pop up but instead they shined through the bottom clear lenses...he said something about disconnecting the wires that run to the motor of the headlights...i think the pop up headlights are ugly and i wish to change this...if anyone has any suggestions...please help

thanks,
jerome

thanks alot for this information
i cant wait to get on it

later,
jerome

yea it suks for visibility at night but it looks awsome, nice for riding around on streets that have lights. its sorta like the venting the bov to the atmosphere, car runs like dog sh*t at idle but hey, it sure does scare people walkin on the streets. LOL my lights look cool but i can see anything on unlit streets, whoops hit a person i was gonna scare ith my turbo and bov j/k! ha. i just tok the fuse out for the pop up headlights lights are on but thy dont pop up and u can always put the fuse back in

I like the pop ups it gives you the ghetto look, and makes others feel even more stupid after they get their ass handed to them by an old school car with popups.

Mike

Hey, i know that the people that have pop-ups are proud to have em, but i just dont like em too much. Is it possible to convert the 90-92 Talons into a fixed light setup? Thanks

90-91 into a 92-94 set up, yes it is possible, but you will have to replace front bumper, both fenders, both side markers, both headlights, the support piece that the lights bolt into, and the hood. It is a PITA.

dude what about those sunken headlights in the pop up holes, those look cool, like it is sometimes done to a miata, or mr2, or corvet

I'm working on building a set of fixed headlights to replace the pop-ups. It will be a bit as the winter is fast approching. Here is a picture of headlights for a 3rd gen RX-7. I am hoping to make it something like this but with no plexiglass over it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 90 TSi that i got for free from my dads friend, it was sitting for like 2 years with a knock in the engine. I pulled the pan and switched out the bearings, fixed the knock. Anyways the only thing that i dont like are the pop up lights (and the spoiler). There is a full strait 93 Tsi in the Junk yard right down the street, and i was wondering if all that needs to be changed are the headlights, hood, fenders, and maybe the front bumper, and the side markers. i know that i will prolly have to weld in some brackets for the headlights but that shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone ever done this and what problems should i expect?

Thank-You,
Jake

if you have access to all the parts then go for it. I personally like the pop ups better though. there is nothing like owning someone in a race with pop ups. =) Keep the stock 91 wing. they look so much sharper with all 5 pieces than the 92 style do.

Cool Cool. Keep the wing hmmm, I know a lot of you like the stock 90 TSi wing but i don't i think it screams 80's, come on it wraps around the side mirrors, what were they thinking? Oh yea also will a 93 TSi
drivers door fit on my 90 TSi? Mine has a dent.

Alright, i have searched the forums and didnt really find anything. I was in a wreck not to long ago and i am going to have to replace the pop-ups but i was wondering if anyone knows about like a fixed style headlight for them. not like 92-94 but more like a 300zx type light. just wondering how it would look :confused: . any info will be helpful.

Thanx for the space,
Dan

can this be done without masive work. do the 92 headlights bolt right in and do the harnesses match up.

awwww
you don't wanna do that!
better yet wire a toggle switch, to make the pop ups wink. like a left and right toggle, so when you're driving and there's a chick on the road, you slow down, and wink.
:D

I was wondering the same thing. can it be done fairly easily?

The wink sounds funny. LOL but I dont think I would ever get rid of my pop-ups. Why waste the money its only headlights... and it would probably be cheaper to sell your car now and buy a 92-94.

noone would want my car right now. its primer grey, no interior practically, the interior is painted but needs to be finished, and the clutch is broke. and i dont see how a hadlight conversion can cost more thanthe car. i can get the parts in the junkyard for like 100 bucks. then all ill need is a hood and im set.

as far as i know it takes 92 headlights, 92 hood, i think the fenders are the same and the grill is the same. not a hard swap i just dont know if the headlight wire harness is the same on both cars.

I have never done the swap before but by looking at it, it seems like there is more than what you think. I have taken mine apart plenty of times. I think the body itself is different. In the body side the is the shape of the pop ups. I don't see how the newer headlights would just "bolt in".

If I was you I'd fix a broken clutch before I did appearance mods.....but that's just me.

the car is as good as fixed. i have everything i need to fix it i just cant tow it anywhere because of this damn snow. i am going to use my friends dolly to bring it to my uncles house and throw it up on the lift but i cant get the dolly outta 5ft of snow. but i want to do this conversion to clear up some stuff out of the engine compartment like the motors, adjustment knobs, and all that.

On my car I got rid of all the brackets and motors. I put some PIAA driving lights where the headlights were. The pop ups stay down and I can still get a ton of light.

my gf owns a 90 i have a 92. the entire front clip is different. all the mounting points are completely different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back