The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

GVR-4 Group 51 batteries not lasting on GVR-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I have no idea why a Galant VR-4 which would arguably be more loaded than a 1g DSM used a Group 51 battery from the factory.

If my GVR-4 breaks down and I leave it for a while, the Autozone Duralast Gold won't take a great charge any more.

I can put it on a battery charger, go for a short drive, leave it for 20 minutes and the start will be weak....making me worry that I will get stranded.

I ended up using a full size 1g dsm battery instead and have no issues.

I'd like to buy an Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto but they only have the Silver and no Gold...for $131...that is insane!

Anyone know why the stock battery on a GVR-4 is so small to begin with?

Anyone know of a good Group 51 battery? Looking for something with stock sized and positioned terminals. I have put some decent money and work into quick disconnect terminals to reduce hassle. Don't want to mess with that!

Thanks

I have no idea why a Galant VR-4 which would arguably be more loaded than a 1g DSM used a Group 51 battery from the factory.
They did also have a higher amp alternator from the factory as well though... My Galant does fine with stock size battery.

Try testing your alternator voltage. I just ran into an issue with my 2g where I was getting 14.xx volts at start up and for the first 10-15mins but then voltage would drop to below 12 volts.

Try idling the car in the driveway for 15min to let the alternator get some heat and then test the output. I speculated that my voltage regulator was working fine till it warmed up then crapped out... Drove me crazy for a bit... I did the saturn alternator for my fix as I didn't want to by another mits alternator AGAIN

It might not be the same case for you but just throwing it out there since it's a simple test, that drove me crazy... LOL

Thanks guys. I have an expensive as heck Denso reman after chasing weird problems. My Radar Detector has a built in VOM and there is no voltage drop when driving so I am good there.

I thought Optima quality took a crap at some point and is built outside of the US now?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back