The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

Everyone keeps claiming that gst's get far better gas milage... To my knowledge they only get like what 2 mpg more highway Hell thats only an extra 30 miles to a full tank which is an extra 3 dollars at fillup. On top of the fact that i NEVER fill up LOL. I have never delt with traction issues as i have always had my 420a stock, but dont awd's handle amazingly well? That would put us with pros of awd: Acceleration, less tire wear, better handling, cheaper to build, telling people you own a awd. Pros of a fwd: 2 extra mpg, burnouts, easier to tow, less parts to go wrong, lower overall price when making the purchase, more common in junk yards. So in the long run fwd's are for people who make under 40,000 a year and awd's are from that point up or people who want an awd project LOL.

As a fwd owner I will go ahead and admit it: yes I wish I had a 2g gsx. And as stated above, my budget and eagerness to start a turbo project led me to purchase a nice gs-t. Im 25 years old and still working on the patience thing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

FWD = FUN WHEEL DRIVE!

I'd sell my gst spyder in a heartbeat for an AWD, or do a AWD swap....

fwd's really not that bad if you aren't going for crazy high hp. Properly set up, its not impossible to drive at all. A set of good tires, poly mounts, lsd, etc and it's plenty fun.

Half the people I see with fwd's aren't even properly set up and complain about traction issues and other stuff when they have bald tires, no lsd, and just floor it expecting it to grab. I'd like to see them get an awd and see if it solves all their problems of being too lazy to properly maintain and modify a car.

Some of you guys are hating for all the wrong reasons. IMO I love my fwd.

I don't understand why 95% of the tuners crowd treat fwd's like they are garbage.. The AWD cars aren't nearly what we make them out to be, and yes, I've owned several. I honestly prefer the fwd DSMs in 9 out of 10 scenarios, snow being about the only time I'd prefer the AWD, or that rare occasion that some douchebag wants to race in the rain.

The FWD's shine everywhere else, and no they don't launch great on the street, but on the track where it matters, I know of several medium power(under 450) FWDs that can pull 1.7-1.8 60' times with little more than a stock tranny and slicks.. Ok, there was motor mounts too. When you can pull times like that, the AWD has little to no upper hand in the race.

I personally enjoy seeing tires smoke in third gear at highway speeds, it really blows peoples minds. If you HAVE to street race and need a good launch run D/R's.

This opinion is based on REAL WORLD data, not the 600whp daily driver that we all think we're well on our way to building.

So wheres the huge advantage besides snow and stoplights? I don't see it..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back