The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

Hey all. I'm new to the wonderful world of DSM and looking into buying a 91 Laser Turbo FWD. The tires are new and the stock (14b ?) turbo is brand new.
My question to all you guru's: does it REALLY make THAAAT much difference between the FWD's and AWD's?? what if i put slicks on ??

(btw, did i mention it's only $500 but has a salvage title, needs the driver's door replaced and the left rear quarter panel pulled)

Thanks all.....
LM :thumb:

In Awd You will love the Rain Never loose a race no matter what car is next to you hehehehehehe

AWD is fun because you can cut a great 60 foot ANYWHERE. I say FWD is a lot more fun to drive. It's a lot of fun fighting traction and torque steer. Mod for mod, AWD will be about .6 to a full second quicker than FWD on street tires. Now you put some slicks and a phantom grip or quaiffe lsd and an AWD will not outlaunch you that bad.

Another thing about FWD's is that they are about 400 pounds lighter than AWD's they usually have great top end because of the weight and less drivetrain loss. Also, you don't have to worry if your center diff is gonna survive another hard launch.

i love my FWD. I found out though that it takes alot of practice to launch one and not burn the tires through 3rd. i would say buy it, as long as the engine, turbo, etc... is good on it, and all it needs is body work.

FWD is quiker, but AWD handles better and is a sno mobile in the snow...

Originally posted by 90GSX
Why do you think FWD is quicker?
Because I have had the FWD and the AWD..... They both put out nearly the same horsepower, however, with AWD the power is divided by four wheel instead of two, and the AWD weighs more...

FWD good for rolls

AWD good for drags and handling in dry, wet, snow, etc.

If you want some good times at the track with FWD, make sure you get some LSD and some big slicks up front. Otherwise with AWD, any good tire will do :)

Thing I like most about AWD is the handling. I feel safer in the car when i'm taking turns and in the rain and snow. Also you don't have to switch out for slicks at all. No more... if I had only slicks excuses ;)

HHmm.... as i read these, I'm starting to wonder:
what's more important: having FUN driving the car (FWD) or having a quicker car but no fun turns ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

after the agonizing sleepless nights, :)()i'm leaning towards a FWD option cuz it's about 350lbs lighter and after putting on some nice sticky tires, it will perform almost as good as an AWD on the drag strip.
Also, I love the feeling of wasting someone on the highway rather than on a drag strip (although that's pretty nice also, LOL )

Originally posted by DFB
Because I have had the FWD and the AWD..... They both put out nearly the same horsepower, however, with AWD the power is divided by four wheel instead of two, and the AWD weighs more...

True, the FWD's power to weight ratio is higher due to its lower mass. BUT when you factor in the AWD's shorter gearing and 300% more traction AWD will be quicker, since it doesn't spend (much) time spinning tires.

On a top speed run, given equal power/weight ratio, FWD will be "faster" since it's gears are longer, but in a 1/4 drag race AWD has the obvious advantage and is quicker.

I'm going to throw in my opinion here.

AWD is the best for turning through the twisties
FWD is fun but the more power you have the more you have to worry about tourque steer and understeer
RWD is the best for straight line acceleration, and can be setup to take a corner well too if you can minimize oversteer.

Just my two cents
Darryl

Originally posted by what_is_dsm
HHmm.... as i read these, I'm starting to wonder:
what's more important: having FUN driving the car (FWD) or having a quicker car but no fun turns ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

after the agonizing sleepless nights, :)()i'm leaning towards a FWD option cuz it's about 350lbs lighter and after putting on some nice sticky tires, it will perform almost as good as an AWD on the drag strip.
Also, I love the feeling of wasting someone on the highway rather than on a drag strip (although that's pretty nice also, LOL )

What do you mean no fun turns? GSX outhandles the GS-T and is so much fun in the twisties, rain and snow. GS-T shines mainly on the highway and for good gas mileage. Everything else...GSX.

Also you can modify the GSX enough so you can outrun the GS-T :) But it takes a little bit more. But if highway if your thing, by all means go for GS-T.

I have had a 91 Laser RS and now own a 94 GSX... The Laser would have probably had the GSX by at least 2 or 3 car lengths in 1/4 mile...These are fun road cars..

Originally posted by DFB

I might be wrong, but FWD is only one wheel, not two correct? If it were two, the slightest slip of one wheel would turn the steering wheel when you don't want it to...

Originally posted by RuBiCaNT99GSX

I might be wrong, but FWD is only one wheel, not two correct? If it were two, the slightest slip of one wheel would turn the steering wheel when you don't want it to...

Yes FWD have a open front diff. That's why you wanna upgrade to a phantom grip or a quaiffe lsd.

i'm sorry but fwd is just no fun. period. i can't stand them. rear or all wheel drive is the best way to go, of course i'd prefer rear over both of the other type but hey, you can't always have what you want. :(

i have fun with my FWD... it's a fuggin BEAST on the highway (which is where it counts for me LOL other people like different things for different reasons. go with what works for you, you're gonna be the one that ends up driving it every day!

yes, FWD is a BIATCH to launch, no joke. i can NOT get my 60 foot under a 2.5-2.6 no matter WHAT i do, and many of my 60's are worse than that :( i'm still trapping higher than a LOT of the GSX's that are running near a full second faster than i am in the 1/4 though :D

if i had it to do over again, i'd probably go with a FWD just because it pulls like crazy on the highway. but if i were more concerned with drag racing i'd get an AWD.

Originally posted by rubbersidedown
i'm sorry but fwd is just no fun. period. i can't stand them. rear or all wheel drive is the best way to go, of course i'd prefer rear over both of the other type but hey, you can't always have what you want. :(

I take it that you haven't driven a high power FWD car. You seem biased towards RWD and AWD. Well, right now I have my '92 and my wife has a '97 AWD The '97 runs 12's and yes it's great at the dragstrip, but quite honestly I have more fun with my FWD.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back