The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

i don't see how this is still a discussion. FWD sucks. period. i have had numerous FWD cars and they are awful when they actually have some power behind them. i could see this being more of a valid argument if the topic was RWD vs. AWD, but it's not. FWD is the WORST drivetrain setup for drag racing. it is also not all that great for track duty once you get past the beginner stage. then you want RWD. i know i'm gonna get flamed for this. oh well. bring it on.:p

FWD vs AWD at track. similar to mine...
FWD (me) - 60' - 2.3...ET 15
AWD (him) - 60' - 1.8...ET 14.8

the reason i gained ground is because i dont lose power through 4 wheels driving at top end. but for all intents and purposes, a modded AWD doesnt worry much about top end....especially in such a short stretch as 1/4. if it were a 1/2 mile, the story may be somewhat different.

Originally posted by SM00TH976
i don't see how this is still a discussion. FWD sucks. period. i have had numerous FWD cars and they are awful when they actually have some power behind them. i could see this being more of a valid argument if the topic was RWD vs. AWD, but it's not. FWD is the WORST drivetrain setup for drag racing. it is also not all that great for track duty once you get past the beginner stage. then you want RWD. i know i'm gonna get flamed for this. oh well. bring it on.:p

Yes FWD sucks when it comes to racing. But we're talking here about the fun-factor. RWD is the most fun though.

what's fun about spinning the front tires?:(

do you mean you enjoy driving it more because you're not lugging the extra weight around?

Guys,

I have a lot of experience with both. I have been racing AWD car for over 7 years (for the last 3 years I could switch it into FWD) and I have been driving a turbo FWD as a daily driver for the last couple of years.

Let me tell this, FWD on 400hp+ car just plane SUCKS!!! You can not floor the car with full boost in first 2 gears. And even then, my 245/45/16 Toyo Proxy RA1 race tires would spin at 55mph in 3rd gear as boost would come in. It is SCARY! If that is your idea of “fun”, than this is a perfect car for you!

Bottom line, the only way to make a reasonable FWD car with 400+hp is to run HUGE drag slicks (DOT or not). And that, IMHO, takes the fun out of driving the car anywhere other than in a straight line.

Where is FWD better? Got me… I get roughly the same gas mileage as my AWD. My racing AWD weights less than my stock weight FWD. I guess that the only valid reason to pick a FWD over AWD to race, is if you enjoy a challenge. There is nothing wrong with it, but you will be loosing to equally modded AWD cars in just about EVERY category…

Leon
RR

To each their own. IMO FWD is more fun to drive than AWD. AWD wins more races, FWD is better for top end runs because of it's weight and gearing, AWD is better for 1/4 mile passes because of it's traction and closer gearing. AWD is better for auto-crossing because it handles better. nuff said

i'm sorry i just don't see how fwd can be any fun at all. what makes it more fun than awd or rwd. personally i like rwd more than anything but regardless. what's so special about fwd? there are a lot of you saying that the fwd is more fun but you're not saying why. why is it more fun? what are you doing in it that you aren't doing in a rwd or awd car? And don't leave out rwd and just defend against awd.

hey guys, when i originally asked this question, i didn't mean for everyone to DEFEND their own car, this is rediculous: ofcourse everyone will defend their point of view.

i just wanted to know if it makes THAAAT much difference between the FWD and AWD. no need to argue here, after all (and i'm a beginnner DSMer) arent' we all supposed to help each other out? you are almost starting to sound like those friggen FORD vs. CHEVY rednecks that always argue about how great their truck is. ;) ;)

peace out :thumb:

sorry about that. it makes a difference depending on what you want to use the car for. and i think we've all discussed the plusses and minusses of both types of drivetrain so i guess just read through the thread and make your own decision. i hope we all helped you in some indirect and obscure way :D :dsm:

Originally posted by rubbersidedown
i'm sorry i just don't see how fwd can be any fun at all. what makes it more fun than awd or rwd. personally i like rwd more than anything but regardless. what's so special about fwd? there are a lot of you saying that the fwd is more fun but you're not saying why. why is it more fun? what are you doing in it that you aren't doing in a rwd or awd car? And don't leave out rwd and just defend against awd.

I have a question for you. Have you ever driven a highly powered FWD car? I have a FWD and my wife has a '97 12 sec AWD. Even though the AWD nets quicker 1/4 mile times and not to mention is way more consistent. But the truth is that after the initial rush of a 1.7 60 foot, the car pretty much drives itself down the 1/4 mile. On the other hand in my FWD I'm fighting traction and torque steer all the way down the 1/4, that makes it more fun IMO because I have my hands full from the launch til the end of the 1/4. Not to mention when ppl mess around with you on the street and then you just go WOT and the front tires break loose from a roll, the "holy #@%#@%#@%#@%" look on the other ppl face's is priceless.

On the handling department is AWD all the way, they just handle great.

Originally posted by what_is_dsm
hey guys, when i originally asked this question, i didn't mean for everyone to DEFEND their own car, this is rediculous: ofcourse everyone will defend their point of view.

i just wanted to know if it makes THAAAT much difference between the FWD and AWD. no need to argue here, after all (and i'm a beginnner DSMer) arent' we all supposed to help each other out? you are almost starting to sound like those friggen FORD vs. CHEVY rednecks that always argue about how great their truck is. ;) ;)

peace out :thumb:

Can't help it. When you put a topic like FWD or AWD? You know it will turn into something like this. It's a never ending argument that I bet it started way back in '89. LOL

Originally posted by SM00TH976
Personally, I'd use a different car for "drag racing".. These cars are more of a road car than a drag race machine... I am sure some are quick... However, If I were going to "drag race", in a class of "STOCK", I would use a 69"GTO with the 400, and the AUTOMATIC... My stock Goat did 137 in the Quartermile, straight from the factory!!! It road well, had the coil suspension, and handled quite well... There just is no substitute for "cubic inches"... 375 HP stock and gobbs of torque...Shoot, I wish I would have kept it,,, Paid 900.00 In 1976... Now, I can't touch one for under 8000.00

t

I love the AWD. I took a vette off the line at my local drag way. I got a 1.9 -60ft-me
2.1-60ft-some dude in a 02 vette

14.5-me
13.4 some dude in a 02 vette

He walked me up high but normal short stop light to stoplight street racing AWD OWNZZZZZ ;)

This is like asking whats better strawberrys or cherrys.

When everyone knows cherrys are way better.

my 240 (rwd) was soooo much fun... so are awd pretty crappy on highway races????thats where i pick up most of my races so that sucks if true..

ahahahahhahahah 137 mph in the quarter with only 375 hp ahahahhahahaha dude you need to smoke some more of that crack..ahahahahha
anyways i have both fwd and awd. love them both but daily drive my spyder and i love it.. never had problems with my 400hp daily driving monster on the street it being a fwd. i guess the 18" help. ;)
later

personally... for a drag car i'd use my awd eclipse and for a car just to cruise around on i'd use my 240sx... that is had i not totalled it :cry:

At one of the import shootouts we had here in hawaii, i seen a FWD civic beat an 1G AWD DSM! They both had there cars setup, not to mention they both had full slicks & wheelie bars.

So if FWD sucks, tell that to the all motor class FWD green honda that runs high 10s down here in hawaii.

Bottom line is if your gonna drag race your car, you are going to set it up for that reason, regardless if it's AWD Or FWD. And you will buy & change parts that are making you weak. You pick the path you want to travel...

Saber!...!...!
:thumb: :dsm:

Originally posted by AW4G63
This is like asking whats better strawberrys or cherrys.

When everyone knows cherrys are way better.
WHAT?! NO WAY!
Strawberries are soo better! :p ;)

Although I've never owned an AWD car, a buddy of mine has a AWD Talon and all I gotta say is TRACTION. That thing never slips. But I can see how some people would find the FWD's more fun...burn outs are fun :)
Right now I'm searching for an Eclipse and I don't care both ways...I'll just take the car in the best shape.
Early 70's GTO's ran 13's...maybe high 12's with a couple mod's. There's no way it'll break 130+mph in the quarter stock. Ofcourse, with 6.6L of engine it doesn't take too much in mods to actually run that fast...

i dunno about you or anyone else but i picked the eclipse because its a smal displacement 4 cyclinder engine that can pump out a ton of power if tuned properly. If i wanted an easy car to mod i'd buy any older muscle car. It confuses me why someone people always compare how easy it is to mod a big block compared to a 2ltr 4 cylinder engine.... there is just no replacement for displacement. That's all i gotta say :dsm: :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back