The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel Level Gauge not working after new pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandnew161

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2009
Horseheads, New_York
Just installed my new 255 and now the car runs great except the fuel level gauge does not work. Before the install the tank was just below half. Now the needle sits just above the empty mark ...turning the car on or leaving it off doesnt move the needle. No wires are cut i double checked. But i found this post on here and i was hoping one of you could elaborate
Apparently the sending unit and gas tank have marks on them you have to line up before you tighten down the plastic ring that holds the sending unit down. I read this somewhere in my DSM travels. Check all of the above and try what I said.

Let us know.

I could've sworn it was lined up just like it was when i first took it out. Does the float/sending unit have to be recalibrated after removing the pump assembly?

I'll pull it tomorrow but just wanted to see if you guys had any experience with this problem that would help me out

Thanks

Pull the sending unit out and make sure the fuel level float is not caught on anything, and doesn't get caught when you put it back. I ran into this same problem a few years ago.

Thats a good idea when i ws installing the unit it was very hard to put it in the tank without getting it caught an the tank edge ...but i will try and see if it works ...thanks dude..:D:D:thumb::thumb:

I had to do mine a few times on my first fuel pump install. First it didn't work, then it would work but only go down to a 1/4 tank. I finally got it, but it took a lot of tries. When I stepped up to the 255, I used a marker or something to mark exactly where it sits (the pump w/ the top of the tank) and that was a lot easier.

Thanks gamble97 that is a great idea to mark the position ...i forgot to do that ...but is there anyway to line the marks up properly if you already made the mistake on the position of the cover to the tank?

On the 2g awd there are marks on the tank and on top of the fuel pump assembly for lining things up. One of them is a set of small circular depressions... and I can't recall what the other set was as I haven't been in there in years. I'd gamble something like this exists on all the variations of our cars.

heres my update: I pulled the pump twice to double check my install. Float was not caught on anything. While i had the unit out I tested the sender (ohms) and was fine. Next i reinstalled the pump and tested the wires on the clip. (remember this is a awd talon) I grounded one yellow wire and the low gas light came on. I grounded the other yellow wire and nothing happened. From what i've read in other threads is that when grounding the one wire (not idiot light) the gas gauge needle is supposed to go to full (didnt happen). I've also been noticing that the needle on the gauge will stay above empty about 1/8th of tank when the key is out of ignition and other times the needle will be all the way down. So i'm almost positive the gauge is shot, just very odd that it would go out right after installing the walbro

If you grounded the solid yellow wire on the drivers side sender (pin 2 of the 4 pin connector) and the gauge does not work, either the gauge is bad or the wiring from there to the gauge is open.

2g AWD wiring:
On the stock setup for AWD there are 2 senders in the tank that are connected in series - one on drivers side, one on passenger side. The fuel gauge goes to the drivers side first in a solid yellow wire. This is the one if grounded should make the gauge read full (when key on - takes a minute). The drivers side then goes to the passenger side in a yellow/black wire. If grounded, the gauge will read something (between halfway and full) depending on the drivers side sender position. The passenger side then has a black wire to ground (grounded on the front floor upper cross member under drivers seat). If either this black wire is not grounded or the yellow/black between the 2 senders in not connected, the gauge will not work.

In addition to all this there are also 2 wires to run the fuel level low light. They are (on AWD) a yellow/blue from gauge to drivers side sender, and a yellow/black (different than above one so don't get confused) between the driver's and passenger's senders.

Last edited:
ok stupid me i wasnt grounding the correct wire on the drive side connector. I grounded the correct wire tonight and the gauge slowlyyyyy went to full. Next after making sure that the gauge worked i tested the sending units by grounding each but they didnt move. Bridged the two sending wires (driver and pass side) and gauge went to just above 3/4 tank. I then removed the connecting wire yet the needle stayed at this position until ten minutes later when i started up the car, then the needle went down to below 1/4 tank. I went to the gas station and bought $10 worth (4.29 gallons) and now the gauge is just below half.

The needle seems to be at the correct location now but i really didnt do anything to fix it... Its screwy I will just have to keep my eye on it. Thanks all for your help

It's normal for the needle to move VERY slowly (heating a bi-metal strip inside). It's also normal for the needle to stay at whatever it's current position is when car is shut off. When started it will slowly return to the correct position. It sounds to me like your gauge is now working correctly.

After my 255 install, my gauge sometimes reads correctly and sometimes stays at 1/4. Rather not have to pull it again.

Does anyone have a picture of the stock alignment marks?
When you know it's stuck at 1/4 but tank is near empty, either measure the voltage to ground (with key on) at each wire of the two tank senders (wires mentioned in post 9) OR unplug them and measure resistance across each senders wires. That way you can tell which sender is the problem before pulling anything. This assumes your gauge is not stuck (which you can test in post 9).

would the fuel sending unit wiring be the same on a 1g? On my car the gauge reads full and the idiot light is on for the gas, all 4 wires are connected to the top of the pump. should this yellow ground wire be unhooked or something? only way it goes down and the light goes off is if its unplugged. all stock...

92 AWD 1G

hey street faze if your pump is still out can you take a picture of the bottom for me? one of my wires is disconnected making the fuel gauge not work and i think that's my reason. mine looks like this, the green lined wire is disconnected on the red circled end

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

thanks

would the fuel sending unit wiring be the same on a 1g? On my car the gauge reads full and the idiot light is on for the gas, all 4 wires are connected to the top of the pump. should this yellow ground wire be unhooked or something? only way it goes down and the light goes off is if its unplugged. all stock...

92 AWD 1G
The wiring is slightly different on the 1g as there is only 1 sender for either awd or fwd. The yellow wire is the signal wire for the gauge and the yellow-blue is the one for the fuel low light. If either is grounded then either the gauge will read full or light will come on depending on which wire it is. So it sounds like those wires are being permanently grounded in your sender (sender bad).

The wiring is slightly different on the 1g as there is only 1 sender for either awd or fwd. The yellow wire is the signal wire for the gauge and the yellow-blue is the one for the fuel low light. If either is grounded then either the gauge will read full or light will come on depending on which wire it is. So it sounds like those wires are being permanently grounded in your sender (sender bad).

Thats what i figured, any idea where i can get the sending unit by itself?????? i cant find one any where. everybody just shows a picture of the pump. NOT going to junkyard! I like new parts....And/or can i upgrade fuel pump and install aftermarket FPR( im pretty much all stock)?

EZSpeed- sry man its already back in at the moment. i got to go back out to the garage later, maybe i'll pull it real quick and get a picture

no worries dude i wasn't trying to jack the thread just looking for someone who had theirs out at the moment, but i got it taken care of thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back