1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Forward Facing Oil Filter Housing [Merged 10-8]

Posted by MustGoFaster020, Feb 11, 2004

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. xe0

xe0 Proven Member

Joined Apr 4, 2008
    eugene, Oregon
    Stock filter works fine or you can use any of the mitsu filters such as evo8 and what not as they are all interchangable afaik.

Adam

376  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  2. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Finally got my parts in and installed them this afternoon. Only question I have is which way does the oil flow threw the sandwich adaptor? I want the oil cooler to be fed at the bottom and return out the top and back into the housing.

Fitment is great, I have a good 1"-2" of clearence between the oil filter and frame, however I get to be creative in mounting my oil pressure and idiot light sensors.

Samich1.jpg
    Samich2.jpg
    Samich3.jpg
    Samich4.jpg
    Clearence1.jpg

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.292 @ 126.120 · 1G DSM
  3. MidShipCivic

MidShipCivic Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2005
    Orlando, Florida
    What company makes the filer adapter you're using?

4. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  5. 420a-t

420a-t Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2005
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    I heard from more than one person that if you use a 7 bolt foreward facing oil filter housing without provisions for an oil cooler, that its fine. People have seen less than a 3 degree difference between having a cooler and just running the oil filter housing without any cooler. This is for street/track use, not for people who auto-x or anything...

530  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.319 @ 109.790 · 2G DSM
  6. 420a-t

420a-t Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2005
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Did you ever figure out what way the adapter goes? I decided to buy one too.

530  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.319 @ 109.790 · 2G DSM
  7. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Yes, I did. I had it hooked up backwards at first. The upper fitting is the feed and the lower fitting is the return. The car runs for the first time in 8 months as of yesterday~!

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  8. ->PrOjEcTGS<-

->PrOjEcTGS<- Proven Member

Joined Oct 14, 2002
    , Missouri
    For those of you running the FFOFH, when you change your oil, do you have to remove the crossmember that runs front to back across that area of the engine? Or does the oil clear and allow you to drain it directly into a bucket? Or do you just let it get all over the cross member and wipe it up later?

Just curious before I order one...

9. DSSA

DSSA Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Hatfield, Pennsylvania
    No need to drop the cross member, there is plenty of clearance.

10. ->PrOjEcTGS<-

Joined Oct 14, 2002
    , Missouri
    Just installed my FFOFH and the answer you gave to my questions is misleading based on what I asked.

So, I found out for myself first hand.

Correct... You do not have to remove the crossmember, the oil filter can be removed just fine. "Plenty of clearance".

The thing I was asking was if the oil would clear the crossmember as it is drained from the filter. This does not look like the case as it will drain and drip all over the crossmember. So... you can either remove the crossmember to avoid this, use a funnel/drainage system to divert the oil away from the member, or just wipe it up later and make a huge mess in the process.

11. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    Using the forward facing housing where can you get a feed to the turbo?

12. ->PrOjEcTGS<-

Joined Oct 14, 2002
    , Missouri
    Note the line coming from the bottom of the OFH

Samich4.jpg

13. 9!'clipseDOHC

9!'clipseDOHC Moderator

Joined Aug 24, 2003
    El Paso, Texas
    Or from the head since you have a 1g anyways.

Street Build 4K  33

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.102 @ 111.220 · 1G DSM
  14. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    My head is welded up. Is there anyway to retain sensors and have a ofh feed?

15. whe3ls

whe3ls Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2008
    spokane, Washington
    yes, the ffwd forward facing filter has fitting for sensors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 2gdsm_nc

2gdsm_nc Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2002
    Elkin, North Carolina
    Is the port for the gauge sensor pre filter or after since it will be going to the turbo.

17. KeelesKustome

KeelesKustome Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2007
    Waverly, Tennessee
    subscribed.

18. 2GeNTSi

2GeNTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2003
    South Sac, California
    I just picked the FFWD piece up and have it ready to go in this weekend. I really didn't want to remove my timing belt cover (and waterpump pulley!!) just to do it, but I sucked it up and took care of it. I'll be deleting the oil cooling altogether and the water cooling for the 14B.

I'm bringing my waterpipe by a shop later this week to have the provision going to the OFH cut and welded shut. It already has the heater core provisions removed. I'll keep the port for the turbo in case I upgrade in the future.

Hopefully my little 14B will run fine without cooling, I'll just actually have to wait for my turbo timer now.

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    12.064 @ 114.530 · 2G DSM
  19. fourgsixthree33

fourgsixthree33 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2010
    Athens, Pennsylvania
    Can someone shed some light for me?

Will a 90' ofh bolt to my 7 bolt?

or

Is my only option to get an Evo 3 ofh?

Looking to use an external air oil cooler on my 2nd Gen.

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  20. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Joined Oct 15, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    No it won't. You need either an Evo 3 or Evo 8/9 housing for a 7 bolt.

4K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.529 @ 110.820 · 2G DSM
  21. fourgsixthree33

fourgsixthree33 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2010
    Athens, Pennsylvania
    Just seen this thread was titled "Forward Facing Oil Filter Housing". I was searching, this thread came up, and overlooked the title.

Thanks for the info.

Had no idea a Evo 8/9 ofh would work.

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  22. 50trimgst

50trimgst Proven Member

Joined Sep 6, 2010
    Mt.pleasant, Pennsylvania
    is the oil feed the same threads as the standard oil filter housing? im guessing and hoping they are since its still mitsu but ffwd said there hard to get a t fitting? are they just trying to get you to pay twice as much then what extreme charges?

23. DSSA

DSSA Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Hatfield, Pennsylvania
    Forward Facing OEM Oil Filter Housing- 6 Bolt : JNZ Tuning

Note the "Bolt" aspect. There is a difference.

There isn't a large (3/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) -- not NPT (National Pipe Thread)) fitting in the forward fitting housing that you can thread the large adapter in that's sold with most SS oil line kits out there, however, you don't *NEED* to use that fitting--it's just to adapt to the 4AN fitting that the feed lines connect to.

You can simply use a 1/8" BSPT to 4AN adapter fitting off of the bottom pre-threaded port (we have them in stock if needed for this purpose).
    (picture below highlights port)
    MD1222601.jpg

You *CAN* use a 1/8" NPT to 4AN adapter fitting, however it won't thread in nearly as deep before getting tight (usually around 3 turns).

Over-tightening with either adapter WILL crack the housing (it's cast aluminum) so don't kill the thing.

As for provisions to install your oil pressure sending unit if you feed off of this bottom port, you just need to drill and tap at the location below:

MD1222602.jpg

If using the factory oil pressure sending unit (or "Gauge Unit") the thread is once again 1/8" BSPT.

If you really want to use BOTH the oil pressure sending unit, and the pressure switch (for the idiot light that pretty much just just lets you know "You've already toasted your engine") you would use a "T".

If you're to the point where you need this housing, my suggestion is tossing both the factory oil pressure sending unit (for the "Guess-ta-meter" oil gauge) and the idiot light switch for a decent *real* oil pressure gauge. At that point, you simply drill and tap the provision in the picture above for whatever thread you need for the gauge you purchase.

There's no magic involved in using these housings. ;)

24. DSSA

DSSA Supporting Vendor

Joined Jul 26, 2002
    Hatfield, Pennsylvania
    Another picture for reference (apologies for the quality--just shot it a phone to expedite the process):

191CC152-76D5-4F51-9FCD-7AE15E39270D-4657-000004C31832AA46.jpg

The upper of the two fittings is the 3/8" to 4AN adapter supplied with most kits. The lower of the two fittings is a 1/8" BSPT to 4AN adapter for the forward facing housings.

25. BurrowZ

BurrowZ Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2010
    Duluth, Minnesota
    As somebody with experience with the Mighty Max FFOFH for my 7 bolt, I want to add a couple things:

- You can NOT thread in 1/8 NPT into the 1/8 BSPT hole on these housings. If you manage to, you will probably crack the housing just getting it tight enough to not leak.

- You CAN use a 1/8 NPT tap in the hole, go a 1/2 turn at a time and pull it back out. Be sure to clean it thoroughly before installing. This will allow you to use your 1/8 NPT to -4AN fittings or 1/8 NPT tee.

- If you have time to wait, I would recommend getting a 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter, as it will probably be a little cheaper. The tap is an option for people who cannot wait. Your local Fastenal will have it, but it won't be cheap. The adapter is far cheaper.

956  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.810 @ 101.120 · 2G DSM