The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Forward Facing Oil Filter Housing [Merged 10-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1. No. You won't need to take the upper thermostat housing off to flush it.

I think he was asking if he should remove the thermostat, not the housing. :) It would help to remove the thermostat to promote water flow. Then put it back in once you're done.

Tomas

Let me see if I got it down right:

1. Open radiator drain plug.
2. Remove thermostat.
3. Put the thermostat housing back on.
4. Fill with water to flush engine.
5. Close radiator drain plug and fill with water again.
6. Run engine for a few minutes.
7. Drain radiator again.
8. Add more water.
9. Repeat a few more times.

Also, when I remove the oil cooler, what do I do with that 22mm bolt? Just leave it out? And do I just tie the coolant lines together?

Also, do you know what that plug is on the back of the Forward Facing Housing is?

Let me see if I got it down right:

1. Open radiator drain plug.
2. Remove thermostat.
3. Put the thermostat housing back on.
4. Fill with water to flush engine.
5. Close radiator drain plug and fill with water again.
6. Run engine for a few minutes.
7. Drain radiator again.
8. Add more water.
9. Repeat a few more times.

Also, when I remove the oil cooler, what do I do with that 22mm bolt? Just leave it out? And do I just tie the coolant lines together?

Also, do you know what that plug is on the back of the Forward Facing Housing is?

What do you mean oil cooler? If your putting a FFFH on then you will no longer have a oil cooler. That is as long as your putting on the housing thats off a mighty max, I'm not sure maybe you got a custom unit. As for the plug i have no idea what it is i left it in there though.
These questions have probably already been answered, but when replacing the oil filter housing you will have all the bolts you have to take out. You have to take off the lower timing cover to get it out of there there is one bolt hidden. The best advice i got for you is to put the car on jack stands, take off the driver's side wheel. Then you can get to it pretty easy. While your doing it you should go ahead and change your oil since your going to lose a good bit anyways. I'm not sure how many bolts are in the cover, but i believe there is 4 in the housing. And, of course, of those four one of them is behind that cover. You will clean off the surface(there may be pieces of the old gasket stuck on the motor), then just do everything in reverse. You will then screw your oil switch into the bottom of it( not really sure with the 1g, but the 2g have two sensors on them, you can only use one of the sensors with this housing). If you are using a turbo oil feed line that is coming from the housing you will have to get a T and the appropriate fittings to make it work, if your feed line from the head then forget this step. After you get everything bolted back up you can put a new oil filter on and replace your oil.
AS for your radiator, that will work how you said. Just flush it however many times it takes till the water starts coming out clean. Also if you live where it's going to be getting cold, i would use pure antifreeze or a mix.

What do you mean oil cooler? If your putting a FFFH on then you will no longer have a oil cooler. That is as long as your putting on the housing thats off a mighty max, I'm not sure maybe you got a custom unit. As for the plug i have no idea what it is i left it in there though.
These questions have probably already been answered, but when replacing the oil filter housing you will have all the bolts you have to take out. You have to take off the lower timing cover to get it out of there there is one bolt hidden. The best advice i got for you is to put the car on jack stands, take off the driver's side wheel. Then you can get to it pretty easy. While your doing it you should go ahead and change your oil since your going to lose a good bit anyways. I'm not sure how many bolts are in the cover, but i believe there is 4 in the housing. And, of course, of those four one of them is behind that cover. You will clean off the surface(there may be pieces of the old gasket stuck on the motor), then just do everything in reverse. You will then screw your oil switch into the bottom of it( not really sure with the 1g, but the 2g have two sensors on them, you can only use one of the sensors with this housing). If you are using a turbo oil feed line that is coming from the housing you will have to get a T and the appropriate fittings to make it work, if your feed line from the head then forget this step. After you get everything bolted back up you can put a new oil filter on and replace your oil.
AS for your radiator, that will work how you said. Just flush it however many times it takes till the water starts coming out clean. Also if you live where it's going to be getting cold, i would use pure antifreeze or a mix.

What I meant was the 22mm bolt from the oil cooler that is already on the car. I know I'm removing the oil cooler and there won't be one on the new housing...which is the one from the Mighty Max.

I'm not sure on the sensors at all...do they both do the same thing? And the oil feed line, no clue on that...where would that plug into?

What I meant was the 22mm bolt from the oil cooler that is already on the car. I know I'm removing the oil cooler and there won't be one on the new housing...which is the one from the Mighty Max.

I'm not sure on the sensors at all...do they both do the same thing? And the oil feed line, no clue on that...where would that plug into?

no the two sensors are different, one is for your oil pressure gauge, the other is for the light that comes on when you have low oil. As for the feed line, if you don't know what it is your probably are running it from your head. IF you look at the front left corner of your head, chances are you will see a hose that goes from there to your turbo. It feeds oil to the top of your turbo so that it stay lubricated. Alot of people switch this because the oil in the head has already went thru alot to get that far, thus making it not as clean as it could be. So alot of people run a line from there oil filter housing to the turbo. Chances are you are probably running from the head. As for the oil cooler if i was you i would just take the how system out of there. The easiet way to do it is take off the front bumper, and there will be the oil cooler and the two lines your talking about. Although with you having the radiator you may be able to do that without taking the bumper off.

no the two sensors are different, one is for your oil pressure gauge, the other is for the light that comes on when you have low oil. As for the feed line, if you don't know what it is your probably are running it from your head. IF you look at the front left corner of your head, chances are you will see a hose that goes from there to your turbo. It feeds oil to the top of your turbo so that it stay lubricated. Alot of people switch this because the oil in the head has already went thru alot to get that far, thus making it not as clean as it could be. So alot of people run a line from there oil filter housing to the turbo. Chances are you are probably running from the head. As for the oil cooler if i was you i would just take the how system out of there. The easiet way to do it is take off the front bumper, and there will be the oil cooler and the two lines your talking about. Although with you having the radiator you may be able to do that without taking the bumper off.

If I got a T connector, I'd be able to run both of those lines you're talking about right? What size connector would I need? And I'll have to check tomorrow to see about where the oil feed lines are...probably on the head like you said. So for the oil cooler, could I just remove the piece that sits behind the oil filter housing and then just put the two lines together? Well, of course if I don't remove the whole system....putting the lines together would just make it cycle back.

If I got a T connector, I'd be able to run both of those lines you're talking about right? What size connector would I need? And I'll have to check tomorrow to see about where the oil feed lines are...probably on the head like you said. So for the oil cooler, could I just remove the piece that sits behind the oil filter housing and then just put the two lines together? Well, of course if I don't remove the whole system....putting the lines together would just make it cycle back.

YEah i guess you could get a t for that.. you will need to go out and check your car. Check and see if you do have two sesnors. If that is the case go but a T at any hardware store and bolt it up. i guess you could circel those aroun, even though there won't be anything in them. IF you arelly don't want to take the oil cooler off then atleast just take the lines off. if you dont want to do that just take one line off and use the end of the line that is still attacthed to bolt into the hole that you just took the other tube off of.

Do you know what size fitting goes into the hole, and if its threaded? I will check this week and see if it has 2...it probably does since I have an oil pressure gauge and the oil light?

Either way I'm going to need to buy a fitting to go into the bottom hole, whether I have one or two sensors, am I correct?

Do you know what size fitting goes into the hole, and if its threaded? I will check this week and see if it has 2...it probably does since I have an oil pressure gauge and the oil light?

Either way I'm going to need to buy a fitting to go into the bottom hole, whether I have one or two sensors, am I correct?

no if you only have one sensor you won't cause you are getting your oil for turbo from the head. So if you have two sensors you will. The best advice i can give you is take the housing to the hardware store alongwith sensors and test fit everything.

Alright, so I there's only one sensor it just plugs into the bottom? And if there's two sensors I get a tee?

Are these like AN fittings I'm supposed to get and the sensors are hoses or what?

I am probably making this more difficult than it has to be....

Alright, so I there's only one sensor it just plugs into the bottom? And if there's two sensors I get a tee?

Are these like AN fittings I'm supposed to get and the sensors are hoses or what?

I am probably making this more difficult than it has to be....

it's ok it's not something that you should just know, unless you have done it before. There sensors that screw into your housing. You can probably see on your housing now that they screw into it. With the forward facing housing you wil lnotcie if you look where the oil filter screws on, on the bottom of the housing there is a hole where it looks like a screw could go. That is where the sesnor or sensors will go. When i say a T i'm not sure what size it is. it will probably be made out of brass. You will just have to go to the hardware store and find one that screw into the bottom of it. Whatever screw into the bottom of it as long as the other outlets are the same size then it will work. SO unplug your sensors. Put them and the housing in a bag. Take them to the hardware store find the right fitting or fittings to make it fit. When you go to do this they should screw in easy. Don't force them and risk messing up the threads.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I will check it out possibly tomorrow. Whenever I can head to my parents to use the jack. So if I have to buy a tee, it will screw into the bottom and also have two fittings coming off of it that have the same thread pitch. Gotcha....is this something that autozone should keep in stock?

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I will check it out possibly tomorrow. Whenever I can head to my parents to use the jack. So if I have to buy a tee, it will screw into the bottom and also have two fittings coming off of it that have the same thread pitch. Gotcha....is this something that autozone should keep in stock?

i don't know about autozone...Do you have true value where you live? If so they have a whole plumbing section with every fitting that you would ever need. That is the best place.

Don't know about true value. There's napa, national auto, shucks, autozone....ace hardware?

tsi1991AWD:

You bought the part from us. It's a relatively inexpensive part, but if you bought it from us, you should feel free to call us if you have a question on it.

As for your last question, what I do (and suggest to most people) is to just put the oil gauge sending unit back in, and omit the "warning light" one. The warning light is about useless on these cars as it comes on only at severly low oil pressure (at high RPMs, it basically just means "You just torched your motor").

Put the larger of the two sensors down there (which is the one for the gauge) back in and omit the smaller one.

Hope this helps.

Josh

JNZ Tuning, Inc.

Hey Josh, thanks for the advice. I did order the part from you guys...got confirmation earier that it was preparing to ship, so hopefully it comes by saturday. You guys were even cheaper than some of the oem parts dealers online...awesome site!

Hey Josh, thanks for the advice. I did order the part from you guys...got confirmation earier that it was preparing to ship, so hopefully it comes by saturday. You guys were even cheaper than some of the oem parts dealers online...awesome site!

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

We deal straight through Mitsu (in a round-about way ;-) ) so we can keep very competitive.

If you ever have a question on a part you ordered through us we'll be happy to help you out in any way we can (on the flip side, we won't tech someone else's parts or do just general tech calls). That's part of the whole deal.

If you have any more questions on this, feel free to contact us (prefferably by phone as it's tough to keep up with e-mails due to volume).

Thanks again, and good luck with your car!

(sorry, just realized that Justin (our head tech) left himself logged in on this computer)

Josh

I had a question on the FFFB....when the oil filter is put on, is there any issues with space? The subframe or alternator isn't in the way? I just replaced my alternator today and it looked like there might be clearance issues? But then again, I don't know exactly how the bracket is set up.

Also, what is the easiest way to get to the bracket? I read to take the drivers side wheel off and access it that way....and I looked up under the car today when I was doing my alternator and I didn't really see an easy access to that stock bracket. I saw the oil cooler dripping some oil though.

Also, can the oil cooler lines be coupled together with an AN fitting?

Are you sure the torque spec for the FFFB is 14 ft/lb? That seems like very little...seeing as spark plugs are like 20 ft/lb. I'm not talking about the oil cooler, but the bracket. I guess it could be 14 ft/lb but it just seems like very little...like it would give it a chance to leak because its not tight enough. I don't know.

I have a 91 Talon TSI and I'm going to put on the Forward Facing Filter Bracket tomorrow. I was wondering what oil filter it used....is it the same one as the TSI or what? Right now I'm using Mobil1 filters...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 91 Talon TSI and I'm going to put on the Forward Facing Filter Bracket tomorrow. I was wondering what oil filter it used....is it the same one as the TSI or what? Right now I'm using Mobil1 filters...

Stock filter works fine or you can use any of the mitsu filters such as evo8 and what not as they are all interchangable afaik.

Adam

Finally got my parts in and installed them this afternoon. Only question I have is which way does the oil flow threw the sandwich adaptor? I want the oil cooler to be fed at the bottom and return out the top and back into the housing.

Fitment is great, I have a good 1"-2" of clearence between the oil filter and frame, however I get to be creative in mounting my oil pressure and idiot light sensors.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I heard from more than one person that if you use a 7 bolt foreward facing oil filter housing without provisions for an oil cooler, that its fine. People have seen less than a 3 degree difference between having a cooler and just running the oil filter housing without any cooler. This is for street/track use, not for people who auto-x or anything...

Did you ever figure out what way the adapter goes? I decided to buy one too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back