The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 3 hub and slider (bulk order)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyviper

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Mays Landing, New_Jersey
I've been searching to fill the void that exist in the DSM transmission n world. The biggest problem I've seen is the 3rd and 4th gear hub and slider. The old Heavy Duty 3/4 from the 91-92 AWD trans is no longer being made and neither is the evo 3. I have found a shop that is willing to make a batch of these in a quantity of 20. I obviously have no use for 20 and would like to sell the excess. Let me know if anyone is interested, the price is $650 shipped. I'll keep this thread updated with the timeline.

I've have had conversations with him but not about this in particular. I'm pretty sure he knows people that can get these parts made as well, but as usual, most people don't want to pay the premium price that it costs to make. I talked to Jack's and they said the same thing. Parts can definitely be made but they won't be OEM price.

So its $650 for one of these or for 20? Magnus I see has made some transmission parts for other brands like the GTR, shame that they wouldn't for the DSM.

So its $650 for one of these or for 20? Magnus I see has made some transmission parts for other brands like the GTR, shame that they wouldn't for the DSM.

Just one set, hub and slider. I can see if there is a discount but I hate promise something that I don't have in writing. I talked to Magnus they will make them for you but it's more then 650 for the set.

Who is this shop that is willing to make these and are you fronting for all 20 sets then selling them or are your trying to get DSM members to complete the 20?

$650ea for a hub and slider is crazy. Just cause PAR will make them, doesn't mean they are the only shop that can. I've used this example before, a ford toploader has been extinct for 50yrs, and you can buy anything for them. Even a hub/slider for less then $200.

I would also be leary, PAR does not have a great track record of making stuff that is very durable.

I've been working on this stuff as well as time allows. I potentially have a 3/4 gearset straight cut synchro that will come in at around $2000 for a single order. Trying to work on price points for like 5,10,20,50. I don't really need it, as I have a ppg and plenty of stock stuff to last me, but I want these cars to stay around.

I've got a source for aftermarket synchro's but I've not been able to test any yet.

In my opinion, the 3/4 slider is the least of our worries. I've yet to see one come out of a trans that I wouldn't run, and expect to shift good. I've seen one crack, not even catastrophically fail, and it was in a 900whp car. Yeah, we don't have an option to use to run the Evo3 gears, but that's a bunch of fanboi bs anyway. Get a clutch that works, learn how to drive, and you don't need double synchro 3/4. In my experience the double synchro's are not as durable as a single synchro. The inner ring breaks pretty easy. Plus when mitsu gives up making the Evo3 3/4 synchros it's a moot point anyway.

If it was me, I'd probably work on making the 2g style 3/4 slider. Then you get to use the big synchros on them, and we really only need 2 synchros made. the single for 1/3/4, and a double for 2. I'd assume even the shittiest aftermarket synchro would work for 5th, as noone really tries powershifting to 5th.

As a builder/racer/enthusiast the order parts needed is like this.
1. 3/4/Ishaft/CD body
2. CD spider gears
3. 1/2 hub slider
4. Shims/thustwashers/ect
5. Good Synchros
6. 3/4 hub/slider
7. output shaft and tcase coupler
8. Steel Shift rail ends and shift forks
9. 1st and second gears
10. case parts? Front diff? Front final drives?

$650ea for a hub and slider is crazy. Just cause PAR will make them, doesn't mean they are the only shop that can. I've used this example before, a ford toploader has been extinct for 50yrs, and you can buy anything for them. Even a hub/slider for less then $200.

I would also be leary, PAR does not have a great track record of making stuff that is very durable.

I've been working on this stuff as well as time allows. I potentially have a 3/4 gearset straight cut synchro that will come in at around $2000 for a single order. Trying to work on price points for like 5,10,20,50. I don't really need it, as I have a ppg and plenty of stock stuff to last me, but I want these cars to stay around.

I've got a source for aftermarket synchro's but I've not been able to test any yet.

In my opinion, the 3/4 slider is the least of our worries. I've yet to see one come out of a trans that I wouldn't run, and expect to shift good. I've seen one crack, not even catastrophically fail, and it was in a 900whp car. Yeah, we don't have an option to use to run the Evo3 gears, but that's a bunch of fanboi bs anyway. Get a clutch that works, learn how to drive, and you don't need double synchro 3/4. In my experience the double synchro's are not as durable as a single synchro. The inner ring breaks pretty easy. Plus when mitsu gives up making the Evo3 3/4 synchros it's a moot point anyway.

If it was me, I'd probably work on making the 2g style 3/4 slider. Then you get to use the big synchros on them, and we really only need 2 synchros made. the single for 1/3/4, and a double for 2. I'd assume even the sh**tiest aftermarket synchro would work for 5th, as noone really tries powershifting to 5th.

As a builder/racer/enthusiast the order parts needed is like this.
1. 3/4/Ishaft/CD body
2. CD spider gears
3. 1/2 hub slider
4. Shims/thustwashers/ect
5. Good Synchros
6. 3/4 hub/slider
7. output shaft and tcase coupler
8. Steel Shift rail ends and shift forks
9. 1st and second gears
10. case parts? Front diff? Front final drives?

It's really not an attempt to make the evo 3 3/4 better or stronger. It's about availability. I have one set off of a guy I found on this forum last year. You can't find or buy an evo3 or 91-92 3/4 hub and slider but they still make the gears. For your weekend warrior who is around 500hp that still has a reasonable amount of street driving this is pretty important. In addition the longer 5th gear which is also not available. You do make a good point with larger 2g slider, they do come apart but that hub sucks too. you'd be in the same situation. If the single synchro 91-92 3/4 hub slider or larger 5th gear were still around, they would still be getting installed in staged builds.

I've been through 6 gearset over the years. I still have my original used 3/4 slider in my synchro trans. All the oem 3/4 gears are basically gone now. Center diff bodiesnate gone. Intermediate shafts are gone. Getting new hub/slider is far down the list. Having a 1/2 slider is far more important, as those are trashed in all the used trans I take apart.

Apparently Jacks has plenty of Evo3 3/4 gears and 91-99 1/2 hub and sliders Iv'e got three sets of each that I've ordered in the last year. They stated there's no shortage. Same goes for the intermediate shaft, it shows in-stock but I have never inquired about them. Iv'e called around to everyone I could get on the phone about the 3/4 hub slider and nobody has it. Nobody has 5th gear either, lots of inexperienced people destroy these on removal. Center diff bodies are a good idea through. But doesn't TRE still sell spools or have they stopped selling those? Also, the cusco and ATS units are still around, I have a guy in Malaysia, that messages me when he finds them.

BTW: money hasn't left the account yet so, your input is definitely welcome.

Apparently Jacks has plenty of Evo3 3/4 gears and 91-99 1/2 hub and sliders Iv'e got three sets of each that I've ordered in the last year. They stated there's no shortage. Same goes for the intermediate shaft, it shows in-stock but I have never inquired about them. Iv'e called around to everyone I could get on the phone about the 3/4 hub slider and nobody has it. Nobody has 5th gear either, lots of inexperienced people destroy these on removal. Center diff bodies are a good idea through. But doesn't TRE still sell spools or have they stopped selling those? Also, the cusco and ATS units are still around, I have a guy in Malaysia, that messages me when he finds them.

The Evo 3rd and 4th gears are still available, but it's just a matter of time before they're gone, too. I suspect it's going to be soon, actually, since the other gears are long gone. The Evo 1/2 hub & sliders are gone, and they are a total pain in the ass to find for the people who have Evo input shafts. You basically have to buy a core trans to get the 1/2 stuff, or get Thilak to source some (and they are priced accordingly). Cusco does not make the MZ center anymore, and I don't think ATS makes theirs either.

PAR will need to find a solution to the hub/slider dilemma if they want to continue to sell their straight-cut synchro gear kit, so I'm not overly concerned. I doubt they would discontinue it and lose out on an entire market for small pieces like that.

Jacks may have stuff in stock, but thats the end of it. Mitsubishi has not discontinued the 1/2 hub and slider yet, but I won't be suprised if it is soon. I have a decent parts order every month, and everytime new stuff is NLA. When the 1/2 slider is gone, that's bad. That's at least 10x more important to get reproduced than the 3/4. I have like 30 good used 3/4 hubsliders, but maybe like 3 1/2's. The center diff body is gone/discontinued. I think I was told Intermediate shafts are gone as well. If not discontinued, there are none left in the USA. 91-92 3/4 gear are discontinued too I think.

Again, at some point yes, we will need a 3/4 hub and slider. But what good is a $650 hub/slider if we have no gears to use them with??? Getting a quality replacement for 3/4 that's is reasonably priced is the #1 issue. YES, I know PAR and that Boldt guy make them, but have you actually heard of anyone getting a PAR set? Suposedly TRE has them, but I've been waiting for about 3 years for just a price. Worse yet, I've not seen any that have survived in a decent power application. The few people I can gather that have used the PAR synchro set have broken them. If their earlier dogboxes are any indication, the stuff is junk. Same goes for the boldt stuff. A couple guys had them here and one for sure hurt them right off the bat at low power. They appear to be cut on a mill with a form cutter and an indexer. The cost is WAY to high for that quality of a gear.

The TRE spool was just an insert into the stock center diff body to replace the stock guts. We need real center diff's made. Again this is a more important part. We can't even build a 4 spider with the PAR or PPG sets, because we can't get spider gears. If you plan on doing more than just drag racing, you need a 4 spider, not a spool.

If you can get them done, that's great, but at $650, you are likely gonna sit on 10 of them for a long time, and it really won't help "the cause"

Again like I said before, I personally don't need any of this stuff - I have a good enough stock pile for me. I want to do some of this stuff to keep these cars alive, and this is just what I see as a trans builder and a guy racing them still.

The early PAR stuff was made in Asia with a weak input shaft, that's where the reputation came from. They made a lot of improvements, including going to the later Evo input shaft style. Keltalon has the updated PAR synchro kit in his car, but he comes and goes.

I thought both PPG and PAR did an actual center diff to work with their gear sets. Maybe I'm wrong.. (edit) PAR and PPG make a housing for a 4-spider, but cross shaft and spider gears still required. I'd imagine they would be open to making the spider gears, too.

Last edited:
The early PAR stuff was made in Asia with a weak input shaft, that's where the reputation came from. They made a lot of improvements, including going to the later Evo input shaft style. Keltalon has the updated PAR synchro kit in his car, but he comes and goes.

I thought both PPG and PAR did an actual center diff to work with their gear sets. Maybe I'm wrong.. (edit) PAR and PPG make a housing for a 4-spider, but cross shaft and spider gears still required. I'd imagine they would be open to making the spider gears, too.

Yeah, they do, but the diff body is has straight cut gears so it won't mesh with factory gears.

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if interest in hub/sliders from PAR has increased at all? They can make 1-2 and 3-4 to suit single or multi-piece synchros. I just have to give Haysam a number to produce. The higher the number the cheaper the price per unit will be. If it makes any difference to anyone I live in Sydney so can actually deal with him face to face when money starts being involved.

Last I heard there is an individual in Europe who is in the prototype testing stage of his own hub/slider, based on a genuine piece. The price was quite reasonable on it, he was just making sure that it worked as well in practice as it did in theory before selling it.

Jack's offers a service to machine a 90-92 hub and slider to accept EVO 3 3/4 gears. Is there any downside to having them do this? A transmission in my area is $500 USD to get one of unknown origin. So $650 makes sense as far as value proposition if that's what you're after. Op, did you ever end up getting these produced?

I've talked to babyviper about this. He never went through with the order because there wasn't enough interest. There are limits to how much power the stock hub/slider will take before it breaks. So if you are making stockish power you'd be fine but if you are drag racing or have a stroker you will probably break things.

I've talked to babyviper about this. He never went through with the order because there wasn't enough interest. There are limits to how much power the stock hub/slider will take before it breaks. So if you are making stockish power you'd be fine but if you are drag racing or have a stroker you will probably break things.
I am putting around 400 to the wheels currently, but I should be between 500 and 600 in the very near future. It's a street car I will be taking to the strip pretty regularly. I just want a somewhat durable transmission that I can maintain and have it last a little while. Sounds like a 92 core with EVO 3/4 gears is the way to go for me. Would it be worth it to have the gears and shafts shot peened and cryo treated by liberty before it goes back together?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back