The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink ECMLink V3 "no response"/no activity from diagnostic pin

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acc1079

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2011
Cleveland, Tennessee
I recently received the "no response" alert when trying to connect to my ECU through ECM Link. After troubleshooting using the steps on these two pages:

connectionproblem [ECMTuning - wiki]

diagport-12pin [ECMTuning - wiki]

I have pretty much decided that my ECU must have a problem.

I am getting correct reading from all the pins except pin 1 (diagnostic pin). I have good ground on 12, and a good 4.5v on 10. I have good continuity on all wires between the port and my ecu connector, just no signal coming from pin 1. I also opened up my ECU and verified that there was nothing VISUALLY wrong, at least that I could see.

I upgraded to V3 on 24 Nov by sending it into ECM Tuning. They also replaced the caps, and put a new socket on the board.

Since this is Friday, and they wont be in to contact before Monday, figured I would post up and see if anyone else had any ideas or thoughts on possible problems, or know of something I have not checked.

I had this happen to me also. It ended up being the cable. Of course, this was after I did everything to rule out any other possibilities. (Right Com port, drivers installed etc.)

I had this happen to me also. It ended up being the cable. Of course, this was after I did everything to rule out any other possibilities. (Right Com port, drivers installed etc.)

You mean the diagnostic pin of your port checked bad, and it was STILL the cable?

I had thoughts about the cable, but since the diagnostic pin checked bad.... its hard for me to keep the cable as the main suspect.

You mean the diagnostic pin of your port checked bad, and it was STILL the cable?

I had thoughts about the cable, but since the diagnostic pin checked bad.... its hard for me to keep the cable as the main suspect.

Not sure about the Pin issue as I didn't check that (Must have missed that part). Tom advised me that it was the cable. Personally, I would wait to ask him. After I bought a new cable...everything worked like a charm.

4.5V on pin 10 doesn't sound right. Unless it's due to the pin being pulsed trying to connect and your meter averaging the voltage.
Disconnect the cable from the DLC, and then see what you measure on pin 10 as well as if you then see a heartbeat signal on pin 1.

Steve,

All tests were conducted with the DLC disconnected. The 4.5v is what the first page i posted from ECM Link said pin 10 should be.

Examine the cable for any broken wires at the car end. With the ignition on, measure the voltage on pin 10 of the car's diagnostic connector (connects to the V2 cable's pin that has a white wire) with no cable attached. It should be about 4.5V (3.5V for a 1990 ECU).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back